Raiders Defense

Rolni

5 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Brief breakdown of a few plays versus the Rams:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hBFtNh91yE

Interesting to see Drake Thomas how quick his read and react skills are, what he lacks in size he makes up for with decisiveness somewhat and ironic that Chris Smith could have had an interception if the ball was thrown better.

Exactly decisive experienced lb He’s downhill quick af. You can’t coach experience. 

• Like 2

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this defense as I said earlier in the offseason. 

We finally have some good depth on the defensive line. I think Adam Butler could be the surprise MVP this year as a guy that plays inside/outside and I'm assuming the two rookies (Young/Wilson) will play up and down the defensive line as well.

Spillane / Deablo / Masterson seem to be the three starting LB with Deablo / Burney as the two nickel LBs. 

Peters / Bennett will probably be our two starting outside CBs with Hobbs in the slot.

Epps / Moehrig have potential to be a solid duo with Smith / Palo-Mao rotating in at safety. 

Not the most talented group from a name recognition group but I think we have a variety of guys that can play different roles and some solid depth this year at all three levels.

21 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

I'm actually pretty optimistic about this defense as I said earlier in the offseason. 

We finally have some good depth on the defensive line. I think Adam Butler could be the surprise MVP this year as a guy that plays inside/outside and I'm assuming the two rookies (Young/Wilson) will play up and down the defensive line as well.

Spillane / Deablo / Masterson seem to be the three starting LB with Deablo / Burney as the two nickel LBs. 

Peters / Bennett will probably be our two starting outside CBs with Hobbs in the slot.

Epps / Moehrig have potential to be a solid duo with Smith / Palo-Mao rotating in at safety. 

Not the most talented group from a name recognition group but I think we have a variety of guys that can play different roles and some solid depth this year at all three levels.

Factor in year 2 in the system and an upgrade at Dline coach.

I think they will be improved and the depth going forward is solid. Now they really need to identify a CB1 and LB for the future. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Key to the defense being solid is staying healthy. I think Maxx has more help than ever and he’s in for a monster season. 

Yup, and Tyree may struggle to close on sacks, but if he can push Oline into the QB, itll help Maxx even more. 
I think our dbs are the strongest theyve been in awhile too, (highish hopes for Peters, 2 years off injury now). 
Really just our Lbers that worry me, our DTs are meh, but Tillery really helped the team i thought last year (outside of dumb penalty against the rams)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We should have seen it…….all that pre season talk and buzz about a ball hawking defence and creating turnovers was all hot air then! We just got those turnovers and looked decent in camp because Garoppolo is crappy 😂😂

Shame on me indeed for being fooled again 🙁

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

We should have seen it…….all that pre season talk and buzz about a ball hawking defence and creating turnovers was all hot air then! We just got those turnovers and looked decent in camp because Garoppolo is crappy 😂😂

Same. Turns out beating up on the Pats and Niners in camp doesn't carry much water into the season. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Darbsk said:

Meh I think defense did ok overcoming 3picks. Again we still had a chance to win in the end.

jmd tho bruh he basically told the offense he doesn’t believe in them with that 4th down fg

I was hoping Hobbs and Moehrig were going to be good players to anchor the secondary. I think they are just cover 3 guys. Hobbs is just an average slot corner, I really thought he was going be a stud for us. Moehrig is someone I’ll prolly just keep around until his rookie contract is up. He can be upgraded next year. I think Deablo is a keeper and our best linebacker. Spillane is an average player, kinda wish we had a stud MLB. Peters is old and slow. Epps is a solid SS, but limited in his ceiling… our DTs are trash. We need to just keep getting snaps to Koonce and Wilson to see what we have. We should also be playing Nesta, Young, Mola….. 

starters I feel are here for the long term: Maxx, Deablo, Epps 

guys we need to develop this year by playing: Wilson, Nesta, Young, Malo, Bennett

guys who on their last legs and just there : Koonce, Moehrig, Spillane 

old stopgaps: Peters, Jenkins 

guys who are trash: Tillery, Nichols 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh I think defense did ok overcoming 3picks. Again we still had a chance to win in the end.

jmd tho bruh he basically told the offense he doesn’t believe in them with that 4th down fg

Oh yeh, I think the D is not terrible, it seems passable. The turnovers is what I’m specifically thinking about. All the talk about turnovers in TC and preseason and yet here we are with zero turnovers!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

I was hoping Hobbs and Moehrig were going to be good players to anchor the secondary. I think they are just cover 3 guys. Hobbs is just an average slot corner, I really thought he was going be a stud for us. Moehrig is someone I’ll prolly just keep around until his rookie contract is up. He can be upgraded next year. I think Deablo is a keeper and our best linebacker. Spillane is an average player, kinda wish we had a stud MLB. Peters is old and slow. Epps is a solid SS, but limited in his ceiling… our DTs are trash. We need to just keep getting snaps to Koonce and Wilson to see what we have. We should also be playing Nesta, Young, Mola….. 

starters I feel are here for the long term: Maxx, Deablo, Epps 

guys we need to develop this year by playing: Wilson, Nesta, Young, Malo, Bennett

guys who on their last legs and just there : Koonce, Moehrig, Spillane 

old stopgaps: Peters, Jenkins 

guys who are trash: Tillery, Nichols 

I thought Hobbs looked pretty good out there, maybe I missed a few plays though… Moehrig looked like a hot mess, I’m envious of the Falcons for spending on Bates. 

2 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

The D did ok, overcame 2 picks but gave up 10 points from those. They didn’t play after the 3rd. 
steelers O is garbage. Same thing I said last year, I expect our D to look decent against the Steelers, they suck. 
At the same time Kenny Pickett looked decent against us, cause well, we suck haha. 

hope we finally see some lbs and DTs. 
start all of your players, no reason not too. 
silva, palomalu, young etc