πŸ¦…πŸ€  NFC East πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈπŸ†˜ | Celebrating the Cowboys' 28 Years of Sadness

Phire

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Because they're fickle. Isn't that apparent? When Carson is basically playing with lawn chairs but still manages to put up above average numbers, but meanwhile Dak literally falls to pieces when he loses his RB and LT.

Can anyone see Dak winning 4 straight with Greg Ward, Dallas Goedert, Deonte Burnett and Robert Davis?

Yeah me neither! 🍺

• Like 1

@HTTRDynasty I guess it all comes down to which college student getting paid $12 per hour to make these judgements you trust more. The ones working for SIS, or the ones working for Profootballreference.Β 

For me personally, Next Gen Stats CPOE is king of accuracy metrics.Β  They have the best data because they put sensors on players, and they have the best models because they had hundreds of machine learning researchers compete for a prize to make them a model.

6 minutes ago, Gmen said:

For me personally, Next Gen Stats CPOE is king of accuracy metrics.Β  They have the best data because they put sensors on players, and they have the best models because they had hundreds of machine learning researchers compete for a prize to make them a model.

I would agree if they accounted for drops. Β That's an extremely important aspect of any accuracy metric. Β If it's not included, I can't respect it.

With NGS's sensors, it seems like they should be able to track if the ball makes solid impact with a receiver'sΒ hands or not, but apparently not.

@Gmen

For example, if you included drops as completions, Haskin's completion percentage jumps from 59%Β to 66%.

Jones' would only jump from 62% to 66%. Β 

And Haskins had a much higher average intended air yards than Jones (8.7 vs 8.1) with a higher Aggressiveness percentage, so I would have to believe his CPOE would be similar, if not better than Jones' if drops were included.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

I would agree if they accounted for drops. Β That's an extremely important aspect of any accuracy metric. Β If it's not included, I can't respect it.

With NGS's sensors, it seems like they should be able to track if the ball makes solid impact with a receiver'sΒ hands or not, but apparently not.

I'll bet the sensors are in the shoulder pads.Β  Easy to hide them there without bothering the players.Β  It would be a much bigger ask to put them in players gloves, which is what you would need to measure drops.

1 hour ago, HTTRDynasty said:

@Gmen

For example, if you included drops as completions, Haskin's completion percentage jumps from 59%Β to 66%.

Jones' would only jump from 62% to 66%. Β 

And Haskins had a much higher average intended air yards than Jones (8.7 vs 8.1) with a higher Aggressiveness percentage, so I would have to believe his CPOE would be similar, if not better than Jones' if drops were included.

https://twitter.com/reinhurdler/status/1263575543355711488?s=20https://twitter.com/reinhurdler/status/1263575543355711488?s=20

It's not CPOE, but here is a graph showing EPA improvement if there were no dropped passes.Β  Haskins would improve more than Jones, but it's not like dropped passes defined his rookie year.

I don't know what your source for dropped passes is.Β  I honestly haven't found a source I trust.

1 minute ago, Gmen said:

It's not CPOE, but here is a graph showing EPA improvement if there were no dropped passes.Β  Haskins would improve more than Jones, but it's not like dropped passes defined his rookie year.

I don't know what your source for dropped passes is.Β  I honestly haven't found a source I trust.

Dropped passes defined his completion percentage, not his rookie year. Β But people trying to use CPOE as an indictment on his season blatantly ignore how negative of an impact the dropped passes would have on his CPOE.

My source is PFR. Β It's not like it's hard to judge 90% of drops. Β The relatively small amount of incomplete passes that may be 50/50 drops vs uncatchable passes shouldn't prevent us from ignoring such a glaring omission in calculating CPOE.

And as I've said before, I take EPA with a minuscule grain of salt when trying to assign the metric to any given player. Β EPA should be solely used asΒ a team stat.

Like I've been saying. The shade thrown at Dwayne Haskins is unwarranted. I hate people who refuse to give credit where credit is due. As of last season I have no reason to assume that any of the NFC East QBs will be any different in 5 years (unless somehow the Cowboys FO botches Dak's contract negotiations even more)

• Like 1