2019 Free Agency - Potential Targets

D82

1 hour ago, Trapt37 said:

Except he is replaceable...Houston, ET could be had for what D. Law wants maybe even add another FA in there, and houston could offer close to the production D. Law does for a fraction of the cost

First, we can afford Thomas whether D-Law is on the team or not, so that point is moot. Second, Houston may not be able to provide equal production. He might, but he might not. Would he be less expensive? Sure. But he’d also only be on the team for 2-3 years, where we’re likely to get 6-7 years from Lawrence. The smarter approach is to try to bring in both Thomas and Houston while signing Lawrence to a long term contract, not dumping him in deference to two short term players.

4 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

I’m gonna be the voice of reason in this forum and say we are all going insane in here because our FO hasn’t done ANYTHING note worthy so far.

I understand we have big contracts to handle but the clocks ticking and I’m getting nervous 

Honestly, we shouldn’t expect any activity. It’s not how we operate anymore. We don’t dole out bloated contracts to players in free agency since most of them don’t deserve them. We should applaud that practice considering how many times we’ve been burned by bad deals in free agency. 

6 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

Do I need to explain how the math works? I certainly shouldn’t.

Go ahead and give it a shot. We have $25m in 1 person who could be our starting DE. Or we could spend $25m and sign multiple people, such as a DE, DT, S, WR, etc. Those people would also be starting. 

31 minutes ago, Matts4313 said:

Go ahead and give it a shot. We have $25m in 1 person who could be our starting DE. Or we could spend $25m and sign multiple people, such as a DE, DT, S, WR, etc. Those people would also be starting. 

The point is based on having two average to below average DEs “starting” rather than an elite one. Have we all forgotten what it’s like to have two starting DEs who get 5 sacks a year? Our defensive line was trash and we had one of the worst defenses in the NFL. Just because you can use that money for two “starters” at DE doesn’t mean you get anywhere near the production.

But hey, be my guest. Dump him and sign a collection of average scrubs and see where that gets you. It didn’t work out either time we’ve tried it in the last 10 years, but this time would assuredly do it, especially with an inferior player at QB.

Oh yeah, that “$25M” is also incorrect, and the remaining cap money we have has already accounted for D-Law’s franchise cap number. But, carry on.

26 minutes ago, Northland said:

OBJ to the Browns!!!  That is a dangerous team.  I have great respect for organizations that go for it.  They may not win it but the Browns are all in.  

I'm hoping Cleveland lights up the league next year. 

Being in Browns country I have a soft spot for them and the fans. I’m happy they are starting to turn around. I’m just sitting here waiting for us wondering when we will actually have flexibility to do anything in FA other than sign JAGs all day.

Archived