2019 Free Agency - Potential Targets

D82

1 hour ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Adrian Amos from the Bears hitting FA. 25 years old and in his prime.

Interested? I've always liked him. Would be a smarter FA option than ET

If by smarter you mean cheaper I’m not entirely sure you’ll be correct

12 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Injury and Age wise 

Right. Those factors are likely to assure him a much larger deal than ET, at least in terms of guarantees.

Amos is one of the 8 or 9 best guys who’s more or less assured to reach the market, yet was the 10th or 11th best starter on his team’s defense last year. I can’t imagine whoever signs him will get a bargain on that deal

12 minutes ago, matt79511 said:

Right. Those factors are likely to assure him a much larger deal than ET, at least in terms of guarantees.

Amos is one of the 8 or 9 best guys who’s more or less assured to reach the market, yet was the 10th or 11th best starter on his team’s defense last year. I can’t imagine whoever signs him will get a bargain on that deal

Sigh. This feels super terrible cause we had a chance to draft him too.

15 minutes ago, canadaluvsdallas said:

Sigh. This feels super terrible cause we had a chance to draft him too.

Honestly if we gave Amos 4 years/$32M with a little over half guaranteed, that could work. Like you said he’s young, and the safety market was frigid last year, so you never know.

Just not sure shopping at the top of the market at the SS position is a wise endeavor, and moreover it’s the last thing I expect our team to do.

edit: that’s probably a low estimate, he should get more than Tony Jefferson (4 years/$34M/$19M guar, signed two years ago)

The Cowboys have to be asking themselves how close are they to taking the next step and does a splash signing like ET put them over?  I'm sure they are wrestling with massaging existing obligations to free up some cash.  That being said our priority will be locking up our own key players.  The major action or reaction will be on this forum.  Other teams will make major signings and the panic, ie why aren't we doing anything will set in.  Happens every year.  I think we will have one significant addition.  That's about it.

4 hours ago, Northland said:

The Cowboys have to be asking themselves how close are they to taking the next step and does a splash signing like ET put them over?  I'm sure they are wrestling with massaging existing obligations to free up some cash.  That being said our priority will be locking up our own key players.  The major action or reaction will be on this forum.  Other teams will make major signings and the panic, ie why aren't we doing anything will set in.  Happens every year.  I think we will have one significant addition.  That's about it.

Pretty much. We’ve really avoiding doling out the overpriced free agent contracts that have burned us in the past. And, quite frankly, that’s a good thing. 

Amos would undoubtedly be a massive upgrade for us at safety. 

IF we spend on a safety, is much rather it be Amos - with full knowledge that he’s more expensive - than someone like Thomas. 

The prudent move might be to simply not open up the wallet for one in the first place. But I’d certainly prefer to open up the checkbook for someone like Amos than Earl Thomas.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:54 AM, cowboyfanin2890 said:

Latavious Murray as a back up to Zeke would be an option to look at on RB.

If Jared Cook is available I might take a flyer on him even with our youth at the position. 

I really wanted Malcolm Brown out of college and would still like to see him in a Cowboys uni. Grady Jarret if we wanted to go higher, Suh if we want to go older. 

Earl Thomas or Collins for safety. 

These are just players that would help right now but there are other backup positions that could be upgraded. 

I would like both Murray and Cook on 1 or 2 year deals

On 2/16/2019 at 7:08 AM, Northland said:

I don't understand the hysteria every year. They have literally made a public announcement that they will NOT be making a splash in free agency and cited the last few years as an example. Then said I know people don't like it, but that's just how we operate.

So at this point people are just hoping that it's all one big lie, and the Cowboys are secretly planning to sign McCoy, ET, Ajayi, and every TE on the market. 

I mean, you have to expect a boring FA period now right?

Archived