Best 1 Year Peak: Adrian Peterson, Marshall Faulk, LT

mdonnelly21

54 members have voted

1. 1. Best 1 Year Peak

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

No he wasn’t. Faulk and LT were both about even. Faulk was a better receiver LT was a better runner, but overall they were equal. 

Most people forget how great Faulk was and only remember LT. 

Both LT and Faulk were considered the best receiving backs of their eras. To claim that Tomlinson was "not even close" to being as good of a receiver is silly. You made it sound like LT was strictly an I-Formation power back and trivialized one of his best attributes: his ability to haul in passes.

As pure runners it's actually not close. Faulk was good, but Tomlinson was maybe the best ever. He had every single move you'd hope a runningback would have and could run with finesse just as well as power. He was, for my money, the smoothest runner that ever played the game. Hands out of the backfield, trucking ability stiff arm ability, spin move, jump cuts, pass blocking.....he's literally the most well-rounded RB I ever watched play the game. And most of his prime years were spent on terrible Chargers teams whereas Faulk's were spent on an offense known as "The Greatest Show On Turf." Sure Faulk was a big part of that, but the Rams had so many other weapons and HOF players on that squad. Tomlinson played with a young and not quite in his prime Phillip Rivers (and a squadron of bums at WR) and then Drew Brees before he was Drew Brees. He was a Kirk Cousins level passer with SD before they moved on from him.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone else that would take Faulk over Tomlinson...even other crazed Rams homers like your fine self.

This is Tomlinson. Like easily. The most amazing part is that he did that without a particularly amazing offensive line. Previous rushing touchdown leader Shaun Alexander had WALTER JONES AND STEVE HUTCHINSON blocking for him in their primes. 

3 hours ago, rocky_rams said:

No he wasn’t. Faulk and LT were both about even. Faulk was a better receiver LT was a better runner, but overall they were equal. 

Most people forget how great Faulk was and only remember LT. 

4 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

What? LT was an elite receiving back. If Faulk was better, it was marginally. And he was a much better pure runningback. Take those Rams shades off dude.

I think you guys are both overstating LT's receiving abilities.  LT was a good, not great, receiver out of the backfield.  He had over 500 receiving yards twice in his career.  One of those seasons was at 508 yards and it was during his historically great 2006 season.  The other was 725 yards when he had 100 catches in 2003.  If there was any running back that was close to Fauik's receiving abilities from that generation, it was either Tiki Barber or Brian Westbrook, not LT

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

As pure runners it's actually not close. Faulk was good, but Tomlinson was maybe the best ever. He had every single move you'd hope a runningback would have and could run with finesse just as well as power

LTs stiff arm was arguably the most dominant weapon I've seen a player use since Earl Campbell would lower his shoulder and demoralize someone. It was a thing of beauty, he'd time his punch and put a defender horizontal to the field.

Just nasty.

EDIT: Barry's spin move is up there, too.

3 hours ago, Malik said:

This is Tomlinson. Like easily. The most amazing part is that he did that without a particularly amazing offensive line. Previous rushing touchdown leader Shaun Alexander had WALTER JONES AND STEVE HUTCHINSON blocking for him in their primes. 

Before that, it was Priest Holmes with Willie Roaf, Brian Waters and Will Shields up front in 2003...

Marshall Faulk Rushing & Receiving Statistics for Career Games 1994 to 2001

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds    
Year Tm G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
Average 15.1 15 269.4 1180.2 9.9         90.9 68.5 680.9   3.9         337.9   1861.1 13.8 3.5
Per 16 Games 16 16 285 1249 10         96 72 720   4         357   1969 15 4
1994-2001 CLT,RAM 121 120 2155 9442 79 71 4.4 78.0 17.8 727 548 5447 9.9 31 85 4.5 45.0   2703 5.5 14889 110 28

LaDainian Tomlinson Rushing & Receiving Statistics for Career Games 2001 to 2008

Games Rushing Receiving Total Yds    
Year Tm G GS Att Yds TD Lng Y/A Y/G A/G Tgt Rec Yds Y/R TD Lng R/G Y/G Ctch% Touch Y/Tch YScm RRTD Fmb
Average 15.9 15.9 332.1 1470 15.8         87.3 63.8 475.1   1.9         395.9   1945.1 17.6 3.1
Per 16 Games 16 16 335 1482 16         88 64 479   2         399   1960 18 3
2001-2008 SDG 127 127 2657 11760 126 85 4.4 92.6 20.9 698 510 3801 7.5 15 74 4.0 29.9   3167 4.9 15561 141 25

I'll trade 9 Yards from scrimmage for 3 Touchdowns and 1 fewer fumble.

17 hours ago, ET80 said:

LTs stiff arm was arguably the most dominant weapon I've seen a player use since Earl Campbell would lower his shoulder and demoralize someone. It was a thing of beauty, he'd time his punch and put a defender horizontal to the field.

Just nasty.

EDIT: Barry's spin move is up there, too.

What about Le'Veon Bell's patience though?

14 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

What about Le'Veon Bell's patience though?

It's...up there. Not sure if I'd qualify it as a "weapon" per se, more like a trait or quality.

A weapon (IMO) is something you can work on - Tomlinson's punch could be improved by strength training, Barry's spin could be improved with training. Bell's vision and patience is something you either have or you don't.

Good call however, I'll have think more on this.

Just now, ET80 said:

It's...up there. Not sure if I'd qualify it as a "weapon" per se, more like a trait or quality.

A weapon (IMO) is something you can work on - Tomlinson's punch could be improved by strength training, Barry's spin could be improved with training. Bell's vision and patience is something you either have or you don't.

Good call however, I'll have think more on this.

Sorry, I was being sarcastic just because every announcer mentioned it 5+ times per game no hyperbole.

It was very annoying to hear but not as bad as 60+ year old men calling guys a "video game" and sounding like they are having a stroke and speaking in a foreign lanuage all of a sudden because they are just repeating words they've heard other people use before.

To your point, I agree that this is more of a trait than a weapon because it's more of a way of doing something whereas all the others are actual actions, although I would say that it can still be improved by watching gametape and practicing with your line.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

Sorry, I was being sarcastic just because every announcer mentioned it 5+ times per game no hyperbole.

Oh, yeah - totally agree. I don't watch many Steelers games, but when I have, it's talked about non stop.

3 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

It was very annoying to hear but not as bad as 60+ year old men calling guys a "video game" and sounding like they are having a stroke and speaking in a foreign lanuage all of a sudden because they are just repeating words they've heard other people use before.

Making this sport entertaining is a lost art. We're not gonna hear any more John Madden's or Pat Sumerall's, that's for sure (although those two got tiresome with the whole Brett Favre "He's like a kid out there!" nonsense). 

Sigh. They don't make 'em like they used to, eh brother?

6 minutes ago, TXsteeler said:

To your point, I agree that this is more of a trait than a weapon because it's more of a way of doing something whereas all the others are actual actions, although I would say that it can still be improved by watching gametape and practicing with your line.

I guess if there is a foundation to work with, anything is possible to improve. When I think of vision and improvement, I actually think of guys who had amazing physical skill (Kevan Barlow, Chris Henry, Trent Richardson) who couldn't see a hole if you painted it yellow and red. If vision was a trait that could be worked on, why did these guys just crash and burn so hard?

I guess it's all about having SOME vision and building on that. If you're blind and have no feel for how a hole develops, you're SOL (even if you work relentlessly on it).

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I guess it's all about having SOME vision and building on that. If you're blind and have no feel for how a hole develops, you're SOL (even if you work relentlessly on it).

Exactly, like some guys will just never be able to stiff arm a LB or can't spin around a tackler and keep running at full speed cause they don't have the strength or coordination.

Having good vision or even the style of run like Bell's does have a prerequisite but it can still be increased to some degree, although some people are probably just naturally talented and don't work on it.

I'm surprised at the lack of mention for 2012 Peterson. I understand we are talking elite of the elite and my memory of the early-mid 00's isn't great. With that said, the 2012 Peterson season was something to marvel at. I agree 2006 Tomlinson is likely the guy here but I thought Peterson would be getting more talk.

4 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

I'm surprised at the lack of mention for 2012 Peterson. I understand we are talking elite of the elite and my memory of the early-mid 00's isn't great. With that said, the 2012 Peterson season was something to marvel at. I agree 2006 Tomlinson is likely the guy here but I thought Peterson would be getting more talk.

It's tough to not mention AP,  but if you're not going to mention him, it's because you're talking about that 06 Tomlinson season or that 00 Faulk season.

I will say that AP was a one man army that year; Faulk had Warner, Holt and Bruce, Tomlinson had Rivers and Gates, AP had... Christian Ponder and Percy Harvin.

Harvin was good, but... Christian Ponder? Yeah.

Archived