Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
johndeere1707

2019 Draft Prospects

Recommended Posts

57 minutes ago, THE DUKE said:

Last night he looked like Prime Time Andy Dalton, but with maybe a stronger arm.

Goff can make throws that Dalton just can't, which is why he went #1 overall.  But the difference between Goff and Dalton isn't much...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Goff can make throws that Dalton just can't, which is why he went #1 overall.  But the difference between Goff and Dalton isn't much...

He had some of the same problems Dalton has.  Pressure in his face, couldn't find a hot read fast enough or adjust.  Made some bad throws, and threw a few into traffic.  It looked almost exactly like Andy, except for a few throws downfield 20 yards to the corners that Andy doesn't have the arm for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, theJ said:

He had some of the same problems Dalton has.  Pressure in his face, couldn't find a hot read fast enough or adjust.  Made some bad throws, and threw a few into traffic.  It looked almost exactly like Andy, except for a few throws downfield 20 yards to the corners that Andy doesn't have the arm for.

My thoughts exactly.  He is only 24 years old, and Dalton really started hitting his stride in what 2015 when he was around 28.  We'll see how much Goff can improve after the inevitable reports start coming out about him working with QB guru Tom House...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/1/2019 at 4:14 PM, candyman93 said:

Are you guys nervous about drafting without Marvin? That was his area of expertise.

Duke Tobin has commented that he wants to address the trenches and improve the overall speed on defense, which is exactly what we should do.  So I'm not worried.

Zac Taylor now that he's officially the HC, is going through film on all the players and I hope he makes some personnel changes (Get rid of dead weight like Michael Johnson).  I'm excited for what we'll do...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Every mock has us headed the Devin White direction.  I'm firmly in the Cody Ford/Jawaan Taylor boat right now, and looking LB in round 2.  Dream scenario would be Mack Wilson lasting in the 2nd.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m firmly in the BPA boat. Especially if that’s a high end pass rushing DT that can take our D-line to the next level.  I’m really hoping for at least one quality OL and LB in free agency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We'll see if the team is any more proactive in free agency but finding a good RG or RT and OLB shouldn't be too hard. We don't have any must re-sign free agents and if Eifert and Dennard leave, it's not the end of the world. We have more than 45 mil in cap space so we should be able to keep the players we want and add at least a couple of upgrades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, sparky151 said:

We'll see if the team is any more proactive in free agency but finding a good RG or RT and OLB shouldn't be too hard. We don't have any must re-sign free agents and if Eifert and Dennard leave, it's not the end of the world. We have more than 45 mil in cap space so we should be able to keep the players we want and add at least a couple of upgrades. 

Yes but I’m sure they will be saving money for AJ Green and Boyd 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fine, but we're 45 mil under the cap now. They may go into the season 10-15 mil under the cap but that still lets us keep the ERFAs and RFAs, plus add a couple of impact free agents and some filler guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This seems to highlight 3 key areas we need to address this offseason, OL, LB, and TE.  Quarterback is there as well just looking at the raw grades, and I would be fine if we took a chance on Murray or Haskins, but assuming we keep Dalton as the starter for another year, I'm hoping that we do the following:

  • Sign at least one LB in Free Agency that's not already over the hill
  • Sign a RT if a quality one is available, if not draft Cody Ford/Jawaan Taylor at #11.  If we somehow get a RT in FA, then I'm fine using this pick on a LB instead.
  • Use our 2nd round pick on a TE.  This is a loaded class, and I do think a quality high-end starter will be there when we pick in the 2nd round.  The Iowa TEs should be off the board, but Irv Smith Jr or Stenberger might still be available, and if so we should pull the trigger.  Our offense and Dalton specifically looks much better with a dynamic TE.
  • Go heavy in the mid-rounds on LB.  This isn't the strongest LB class, but I'm going with a strategy of take 3-4 LBs in the draft and hope you hit on 1 or 2 of them approach, lol...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

This seems to highlight 3 key areas we need to address this offseason, OL, LB, and TE.  Quarterback is there as well just looking at the raw grades, and I would be fine if we took a chance on Murray or Haskins, but assuming we keep Dalton as the starter for another year, I'm hoping that we do the following:

  • Sign at least one LB in Free Agency that's not already over the hill
  • Sign a RT if a quality one is available, if not draft Cody Ford/Jawaan Taylor at #11.  If we somehow get a RT in FA, then I'm fine using this pick on a LB instead.
  • Use our 2nd round pick on a TE.  This is a loaded class, and I do think a quality high-end starter will be there when we pick in the 2nd round.  The Iowa TEs should be off the board, but Irv Smith Jr or Stenberger might still be available, and if so we should pull the trigger.  Our offense and Dalton specifically looks much better with a dynamic TE.
  • Go heavy in the mid-rounds on LB.  This isn't the strongest LB class, but I'm going with a strategy of take 3-4 LBs in the draft and hope you hit on 1 or 2 of them approach, lol...

Give me the RT and either C/RG (whichever they don't plan to use Price at) in free agency.  Metrics show LBs regress significantly faster than linemen.  You only re-sign great ones, unless you do it on shorter deals.

Give me White in the first, Pratt in the third, with either a TE or a long term OT in the second.  If White is gone, trade back a couple of times (Or with Oakland) and nab Bush with one of the picks, and use the extra capital to grab Riley Ridley in the second, along with either TE or OT.  Or just grab both and go for a WR later on.

 

I wonderwhat the QB ranking is based off of.  I think Dalton is much better than a 2.7.  TE goes back up once we re-sign one or two of our guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, INbengalfan said:

Give me the RT and either C/RG (whichever they don't plan to use Price at) in free agency.  Metrics show LBs regress significantly faster than linemen.  You only re-sign great ones, unless you do it on shorter deals.

Give me White in the first, Pratt in the third, with either a TE or a long term OT in the second.  If White is gone, trade back a couple of times (Or with Oakland) and nab Bush with one of the picks, and use the extra capital to grab Riley Ridley in the second, along with either TE or OT.  Or just grab both and go for a WR later on.

 

I wonderwhat the QB ranking is based off of.  I think Dalton is much better than a 2.7.  TE goes back up once we re-sign one or two of our guys.

QB grade was most likely significantly hit with Dalton getting hurt last season.  Still, it is need but one I'm willing to wait at least a year on.  Primarily because I want to see what Zac Taylor can do with Dalton and the offense, and secondly because I'm not a big fan of the QBs in this draft.  Although, I won't complain if we take a chance on one...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While offensive line was below average, our linebackers were downright horrible. Linebacker is the bigger need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, johndeere1707 said:

While offensive line was below average, our linebackers were downright horrible. Linebacker is the bigger need. 

No one is disputing that.  The only debate is how to address each need.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×