2019 NFL Combine

SmittyBacall

Just now, rob_shadows said:

So after today's performance Winovich has to have solidified himself as a 1st rounder right? 

I don't think so. I think his performance has put him into a spot where I wouldn't be surprised if he was a first rounder though. But with those fringe guys, sometimes its really hard to just say that yeah, he's locked himself in as a first rounder. A lot of people said the same thing about Hubbard last year after his ridiculous 3 cone time. 

2 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

from what I've seen he was between 60-90 in mocks and big boards. I have a hard time seeing him move up all the way to top 32.

Which I don't get, I'm a Michigan fan and I've obviously seen them both a lot and quite frankly Winovich is a better player than Gary. Sure Gary has the higher ceiling due to his combo of size, strength, and quickness but Chase is far ahead of Gary in technique and motor. I've never understood why these athletic freaks that have no technique like Gary constantly keep getting rated and drafted so highly despite how many times we've seen them bust while the NFL ready guy who may not be as athletic has success.

32 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Which I don't get, I'm a Michigan fan and I've obviously seen them both a lot and quite frankly Winovich is a better player than Gary. Sure Gary has the higher ceiling due to his combo of size, strength, and quickness but Chase is far ahead of Gary in technique and motor. I've never understood why these athletic freaks that have no technique like Gary constantly keep getting rated and drafted so highly despite how many times we've seen them bust while the NFL ready guy who may not be as athletic has success.

Because Gary has way more upside and is 2.5 years younger.

There are also tons of "NFL ready" production guys that bust too.

(Don't take this as me not loving the hell out of Winovich)

Just now, rob_shadows said:

The thing that may be tough for Winovich is position. I don't think he's a 4-3 defensive end - in that alignment he's probably a SAM? And that doesn't have a super high positional value for a lot of teams (the 49ers, for example, only use our SAM on about a third of downs). So that could potentially drop him on some teams boards that run that type of defense. Maybe some 3-4 teams could look at him as a 3-4 OLB that profiles somewhat similarly to a TJ Watt? 

9 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

So after today's performance Winovich has to have solidified himself as a 1st rounder right? 

If that happens...that team will be very disappointed in the return on production. 

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

The thing that may be tough for Winovich is position. I don't think he's a 4-3 defensive end - in that alignment he's probably a SAM? And that doesn't have a super high positional value for a lot of teams (the 49ers, for example, only use our SAM on about a third of downs). So that could potentially drop him on some teams boards that run that type of defense. Maybe some 3-4 teams could look at him as a 3-4 OLB that profiles somewhat similarly to a TJ Watt? 

I could definitely see him working well in a a TJ Watt role in a 3-4

5 minutes ago, Forge said:

TJ Watt...Winovich he is not.

4 minutes ago, sherm said:

TJ Watt...Winovich he is not.

I'd be very surprised if he was tbh. Watt was a bit of a freak himself in his explosiveness (and agility), and I don't expect the same from Winovich. But that's his best hope of going earlier. 

Archived