Report: Dolphins plan to part ways with Ryan Tannehill, tank 2019 season for Tua Tagovailoa

DigInBoys

On 2/4/2019 at 11:48 AM, ET80 said:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt any team considers tanking as a serious course of action. This isn't basketball, where you can land a Zion Williamson-type franchise changer (even guys like Trevor Lawrence will need some sort of help - whether it be a good OL or above average pass catchers). Even then, Tua isn't the guy you throw a season away for.

I think this is really creative/wishful thinking. It's the NFL reporting equivalent of fan fiction...

Really?  The Colts LOVE tanking. 

Re: Manning, Peyton and Luck, Andrew. 

On 2/5/2019 at 1:38 PM, MWil23 said:

If the Dolphins go full tank mode...

And the Bills and Jets don't progress with their 2nd year QBs...

The 2019 Patriots fans will still brag about how awesome the AFC East is.

LOL!!!

Those games are almost always closer than you guys think. I also think that the only time the Patriots have EVER swept the East was 2007. 

On 2/5/2019 at 1:38 PM, MWil23 said:

The 2019 Patriots fans will still brag about how awesome the AFC East is.

I love when people bring up the AFC East as an advantage to the Patriots.  Sure, the East isn't exactly a hotbed of football powerhouses outside of New England, but the rest of the Patriots schedule more than makes up for it. 

Due to the NFL's scheduling formula, over the last 17 years, the Patriots have had to play a first place schedule 15 times.  What does that mean?  That means that the Patriots have had to play AT LEAST FOUR games each season against division winners from the previous season - the other three AFC division winners and one NFC division winner.  That's 1/4 of the schedule right there.  Every year.  Usually those teams aren't pushovers.  Often they have to play against a wild-card team from the previous season, as well. 

If the Patriots mopped up against the East, but got the bag beaten out of them every other week then you might have something there. 

Since 2002 (when the NFL adopted their present schedule formula)the Patriots are 80-22 in the AFC East. That’s a .784 winning percentage. Outside the division, they are 129-41 (.758). These numbers are regular season only.

How have they fared against some of their non-division AFC opponents?  All records are since the 2002 season, and include the 2008 season - regular season and playoffs.  Postseason record vs. opponent since 2002 in parentheses.

Baltimore: 8-3 (2-2)

Denver: 9-8 (1-4)

Indianapolis: 13-5 (4-1)

Pittsburgh: 10-4 (2-0)

Kansas City: 7-3 (2-0)

Except against Denver, I'd say they do rather well against the mettle of the AFC. 

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

Here is the thing they can't force Flores or the players to tank.

Did you read through the thread? Tanking does not meaning losing on purpose sir. Cut and or trade your hefty contracts, dont overspend in free agency, and possibly trade down to acquire more picks in the draft. That simple.

11 hours ago, rfournier103 said:

Yeah, man. I’m sure everyone who got fired those two seasons were coordinating a tank job that they never got to see the pay off for. 

1 hour ago, Ajayii said:

Did you read through the thread? Tanking does not meaning losing on purpose sir. Cut and or trade your hefty contracts, dont overspend in free agency, and possibly trade down to acquire more picks in the draft. That simple.

That's not tanking. At least not in the way you phrased it so let me help you out.

Trading skilled players at any position where there is value and talent.

Making a strong effort to not sign any free agents that would assist you in being Victorious.

Hiring a coach that at the end of the day might not be good enough to be a head coach but it doesn't matter because he probably won't be there in two seasons anyway if you can't win any games but as the general manager you clearly don't want to win games so for you it's a win-win.

That's the true definition of tanking.

What you described is rebuilding. There is a big difference between the two

14 hours ago, wwhickok said:

That's not tanking. At least not in the way you phrased it so let me help you out.

Trading skilled players at any position where there is value and talent.

Making a strong effort to not sign any free agents that would assist you in being Victorious.

Hiring a coach that at the end of the day might not be good enough to be a head coach but it doesn't matter because he probably won't be there in two seasons anyway if you can't win any games but as the general manager you clearly don't want to win games so for you it's a win-win.

That's the true definition of tanking.

What you described is rebuilding. There is a big difference between the two

Your last sentence is basically what I'm saying. It's a rebuild. Its just being described as "tanking".

5 hours ago, Ajayii said:

Your last sentence is basically what I'm saying. It's a rebuild. Its just being described as "tanking".

Word. A tear-it-down then rebuild event, teams do it all the time. Dump all the salaries, trade anything with value, gather draft picks. We're already a full year behind the Raiders, gotta catch up. 

On 2/7/2019 at 8:56 AM, rfournier103 said:
On 2/4/2019 at 11:48 AM, ET80 said:

I highly, HIGHLY doubt any team considers tanking as a serious course of action. This isn't basketball, where you can land a Zion Williamson-type franchise changer (even guys like Trevor Lawrence will need some sort of help - whether it be a good OL or above average pass catchers). Even then, Tua isn't the guy you throw a season away for.

I think this is really creative/wishful thinking. It's the NFL reporting equivalent of fan fiction...

To @ET80 the browns under Sashi Brown seriously tanked. Did you really think bring in RGIII would turn the offense around and letting go al their FAs in ‘16 so they can get the comp picks for them. Then they bought the 2nd rd pick from the Texans. There is a lot more Parady in the NFL so a majority of the time tanking isn’t need but sometimes you just need to blow the thing up. Sashi lead a great tank, I’ll give him credit on that but the browns were lucky they got Dorsey who could rebuilt the team. 

To @rfournier103 the Colts didn’t tank for Luck. They didn’t tell Manning, hey sit out the year with a neck injury. That colts team was built around manning and when he was out that team was awful

8 hours ago, buno67 said:

To @rfournier103 the Colts didn’t tank for Luck. They didn’t tell Manning, hey sit out the year with a neck injury. That colts team was built around manning and when he was out that team was awful

While there's truth to that, i think that's pretty much what "tanking" typically looks like in the NFL.  They realized Manning was going to miss the year, and didn't really do anything to try to shore up that most important position at QB.  They just rolled into the year with like Curtis Painter/Dan Orlovsky.  They didn't even seriously try to patch the hole.  In fairness, that roster was so heavily built around Peyton that it wasn't going to be pretty trying to bandaid the team anyway.  You're not replacing what he was to that team at that point.  But they didn't even really seem to try.  That's as close as you're really going to get to "tanking" imo.

Not so much about actively tanking by telling players not to bother, actually trying to lose games.  More about passively tanking, by just supplying the coaches an inadequate roster.

Which seems like more or less what the Dolphins are allegedly going to do.  Just cutting older expensive dead weight that isn't going to be part of the future.  Letting young players play, make their mistakes, learn, and hopefully improve.  And maybe just kinda leaving a fatal hole in the roster at QB that pretty much ensures you're going to lose a lot of games along the way...to conveniently put you in position to take a swing on a top QB prospect next year.

Archived