2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

38 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Free agency at 25 and $7MM instead of $2MM from the Braves. Nice job by Boras.

Yep. Good move. You'll see more guys doing this especially with the NPB expanding with another 2-4 teams in the next 3 years and minor league guys getting screwed even after the new CBA is ratified.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

What kind of long term ramifications could this have? Kind of a big deal to some extent, yeah?

Huge. The NPB is getting a huge bump in funding and have posted amazing growth, if they are formidable and start pulling in guys like this consistently going "why languish in A ball for 2 years when you can be a pro here right away and make way more money." It just gives these kids more leverage.

26 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Huge. The NPB is getting a huge bump in funding and have posted amazing growth, if they are formidable and start pulling in guys like this consistently going "why languish in A ball for 2 years when you can be a pro here right away and make way more money." It just gives these kids more leverage.

And then they still get screwed with the the service time manipulation. I hope it's a wake up call for the mlb

5 hours ago, Forge said:

And then they still get screwed with the the service time manipulation. I hope it's a wake up call for the mlb

I'm more cynical than tlbf on this. Most players are going to still go to the MLB, simply because the culture change is so dramatic. Stewart is going to have to learn the language, is going to have a pain in the butt traveling, etc. etc. etc.

At the bare minimum, this does give kids leverage or a secondary place to go if they get screwed over on "medical issues" like the Braves tried to do here. That's a win. I'd love to see a kid who is drafted start negotiating with Japanese clubs immediately though.

16 hours ago, holt_bruce81 said:

Brady McConnell is my pick for player that could go a lot higher than people think. 

16 BB vs 53 K this year is a big red flag for me.  Sure, he's hitting .344 with power, but partially because of a .400 BABIP.  Round 2 I'll take that bet, but i'd be wary of using a 1st round pick.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=210137

3 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

16 BB vs 53 K this year is a big red flag for me.  Sure, he's hitting .344 with power, but partially because of a .400 BABIP.  Round 2 I'll take that bet, but i'd be wary of using a 1st round pick.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=210137

I'm immediately leery of any 1st round college player that has a K rate greater than 15% their draft year.  History has been brutally unkind to those that do.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, holt_bruce81 said:

You must hate Misner then lol 

Yeah, his terrible SEC play makes him a no-go for me, unless there is an undisclosed injury somewhere.  I think I saw he was striking out over 30% of the time in SEC play.  

Stewart was elite (we pegged him as a 50 FV for the 2018 draft, ninth overall) but noted he faded a bit down the stretch and some wondered about his wrist injury. The Braves walked away from a deal over a dispute about the severity of that injury, and this spring, things played out closer to what the Braves argued than Stewart. Before the injury, Stewart was consistently 93-96, touching 98 mph with some life, and had a curveball that flashed 70 in every outing multiple times (and a 3000+ rpm spin rate) along with about an average changeup and command projection.

This spring, his stuff has varied a good bit. He’ll sit 92-96 and hit 97 mph at times to start outings, then settle 90-94 later and with less life. His curveball has flashed 70 a handful of times this season for some scouts, but it’s mostly a 55 or 60 pitch at best, with most projecting a 60 pitch long term. His frame has lost some athleticism and his command hasn’t been as sharp this spring either. A couple scouts noted that Stewart hasn’t stopped playing golf (he’s a scratch golfer) and some clubs think that will serve to further weaken his wrist going forward, though that isn’t conclusive. We spoke with a number of clubs about their feelings on Stewart before he signed and they all said there was an elevated or above-average amount of risk going forward, relative to other pitching prospects, in regard to his wrist.

Braves were right to do low ball him now that we see him regressing in JUCO. Maybe its possible they knew what they were doing all along. I think there is a better chance we never hear Stewart's name again than him playing a inning in the majors.

14 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I'm more cynical than tlbf on this. Most players are going to still go to the MLB, simply because the culture change is so dramatic. Stewart is going to have to learn the language, is going to have a pain in the butt traveling, etc. etc. etc.

At the bare minimum, this does give kids leverage or a secondary place to go if they get screwed over on "medical issues" like the Braves tried to do here. That's a win. I'd love to see a kid who is drafted start negotiating with Japanese clubs immediately though.

Majority of Latin players have to go through the culture clash and all of its challenges. It really makes you appreciate what these teenagers go through.