2019 MLB Draft

devils1854

2 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Majority of Latin players have to go through the culture clash and all of its challenges. It really makes you appreciate what these teenagers go through.

And TBH I'd rather be making a lot more money and hanging out in a major metropolitan area in Japan than riding a bus from some dinky facilities in Danville. 

• Like 2

On 5/25/2019 at 6:58 PM, holt_bruce81 said:

Is this considered a good class for Prep arms? Seems like there’s a lot of guys I like in the 1st round...The more I watch And read about Quinn Preister the more I like. 

No.  It's really not a good draft for pitching in general. 

1 hour ago, hrubes20 said:

No.  It's really not a good draft for pitching in general. 

Jack Leiter would be the only pitcher Id be comfortable taking in the top 15, and Id be good with Preister at #21 for the Braves, but thats mainly because the Braves have two picks.

2 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Kiley with a new mock draft today that is the first one I've seen linking teams past the top 5 with particular players.  Kody Hoese as an underslot in the top 10 would be interesting to see.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-3-0-two-rounds/

I'm hoping for Vaughn or Bleday for the Tigers so I like this.  I think Greene has more upside but they both seem a lot safer and closer to the schedule our pitching prospects are on. 

The Braves are definitely going to take players that I hate at both picks.

I want no part of Lodolo, Rutledge, or any pitcher at #9, and I sure as hell dont want Hoese, Davidson, or basically any college hitter at #21.

Gunnar Henderson, Shea Langeliers, Hunter Bishop, Brett Baty are the guys in order that I would want at #9.

Quinn Priester, Matthew Allan, Daniel Espino, and of course Jack Leiter are who I want at #21.

3 hours ago, devils1854 said:

I want no part of Lodolo, Rutledge, or any pitcher at #9, and I sure as hell dont want Hoese, Davidson, or basically any college hitter at #21.

Gunnar Henderson, Shea Langeliers, Hunter Bishop, Brett Baty are the guys in order that I would want at #9.

Quinn Priester, Matthew Allan, Daniel Espino, and of course Jack Leiter are who I want at #21.

Seems like every Mock I’ve seen has you guys taking Brennan Malone at #21. 

11 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Kiley with a new mock draft today that is the first one I've seen linking teams past the top 5 with particular players.  Kody Hoese as an underslot in the top 10 would be interesting to see.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/mock-draft-3-0-two-rounds/

I love Kiley but there's 0.0% chance Brennan Malone is on the board at our pick. Think, the one guy that screams Brewers pick in this class that should be available when we pick, is Rece Hinds. Really don't want another prospect with a questionable hit tool but it's what we do. We go upside and get burned by it. Whoever we draft, if it's a bat, is almost guaranteed to be a low-to-mid .200 hitter. Thus, I'd rather take Seth Johnson or just give Jack Leiter whatever the hell he wants. Outside of Hiura, our 1st rounders have been straight garbage (Turang is hitting but with no power whatsoever).

11 hours ago, devils1854 said:

Seems like everything I've seen on the Braves is college bat at 9 and HS arm at 21, which means 2 college arms of course :/

That fangraphs mock mentions the Reds looking hard at George Kirby, which is the second mention I've heard of the Reds linked to Kirby this week.  If none of the top 6 bats fall to 7 (Rutschman, Witt, Vaughn, Bleday, Abrams, Greene) i'd be happy with that.  MLB Pipeline had a best draft tools article yesterday and listed Kirby as the best control in the draft.  Small school pitcher, but he was also very good on the Cape last summer.  92-95, has been as high as 98 in short stints, above average curveball and slider and a changeup with some promise with more development.

As for the mock itself, I want no part of Alek Manoah at 7.  If you can't get your weight under control by age 21 as an elite athlete, that's a big red flag for me, for round 1 at least.