Was the Super Bowl "boring"?  

120 members have voted

1. 1. Was the Super Bowl "boring"?

• Yes, kinda
    • No!

It was boring for 2 reasons:

1. almost all the action happened between the 30s

2. no real big or impressive plays

Yeah, it was a pair of really impressive defensive performances, but aside from McCourty's PBU in the end zone and Gilmore's pick, what were the really consequential individual plays in this game? In an exciting game there will be big fluctuations in the win probability graph. This one was practically flat until the Pats scored the one TD.

Bears vs. Rams was a better defensive display than the SB.

Both teams were top 5 in yards per game on offense and 19th and 21st on defense. Both were top 5 in offensive scoring and the Patriots were 7th on defense and the Rams 20th.

This was a battle of two top offenses against two mediocre defenses and the defenses won out. It could be partly preparation but I think it was mostly just poor offensive showings since there were a lot of plays left on the field.

Patriot backs had 20 receiving yards on 8 targets. Rams 11 yards on 5 targets. Those are big parts of both offenses and not the most complicated passes. The Rams didn't even throw to a TE. There were a lot of missed passes and missed open receivers. Opportunity was there for the offenses, surely more than the 16 points scored they just didn't play their best games. That was the result.

3 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I had some friends say it was "boring" to them. But they are very casual sports fans, who I'm sure equate scoring with excitement, which is somewhat justifiable. 

But for a game with very little scoring, I thought it was pretty exciting. So many good defensive plays, schemes and strategies going on, so maybe you had to be a more avid fan to truly appreciate it?

its not just the scoring aspect.. watching teams punt every series is boring af.. A game needs big plays to add excitement.. those big plays don't have to equal TDs 

6 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

according to reports it was also the least watched Super Bowl since 2008

Not surprising. Los Angeles doesn’t have a fan base yet, and everyone else is tired of seeing the Pats play. 

1 minute ago, pwny said:

Not surprising. Los Angeles doesn’t have a fan base yet, and everyone else is tired of seeing the Pats play. 

Pretty much that. To be fair the 2008 Super Bowl with the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals and while the Steelers had a strong fan base and still do obviously the Arizona Cardinals not so much

Archived