Packers new slot receiver is ....

coachbuns

We are going to have to agree to disagree on Allison.

Either way, my plan would be to sign him to a tender this season, and let him walk in 2020 unless all three of Moore, St. Brown, and Valdez-Scantling bomb in 2019.  I also think adding a WR is a luxury for this team, this year.  I think we go 4 deep at WR, better than anything we have at: TE, G, S, and ILB not named Martinez.

On 3/2/2019 at 10:45 AM, Outpost31 said:

And I am 1000% sure you were ready to cut Davante Adams after 2015.

I would say he was extremely critical of Adams to the point of absurdity. At one point he wrote "I think its funny that people are making Adams out to be a future Super Star" while rabidly calling him out and arguing tirelessly against anyone who thought he might turn out great. Well Adams is now.

Also he was extremely critical of Bakh as well. I would really take what he says with a boulder of salt as it's clear he really doesn't understand how to properly evaluate.

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

I would say he was extremely critical of Adams to the point of absurdity. At one point he wrote "I think its funny that people are making Adams out to be a future Super Star" while rabidly calling him out and arguing tirelessly against anyone who thought he might turn out great. Well Adams is now.

Also he was extremely critical of Bakh as well. I would really take what he says with a boulder of salt as it's clear he really doesn't understand how to properly evaluate.

I'm glad he hates Jimmy Graham then. 

• 5 weeks later...

Bumping this in case anyone who knows more about football than me can explain why ESB is considered a candidate to play in the slot. I know he played there last year, but why? Is there something about him or something he does well that makes him a good slot receiver? To a regular joe like me, he seems like the opposite of a slot receiver. Please help me understand.

My very inexpert opinion is that it is all about winning your matchup. Traditionally that has been done by using very agile receivers that can 'buy' space by sudden cuts and a burst of speed, which favours agile receivers making those sharp cuts with minimum loss of speed. These are things that usually come with smaller receivers . I think that this thinking is changing, because you can win with other combinations. You can win with powerful receivers that overwhelm and block out those that cover them. You can win with tall guys with athleticism and speed, making use of the larger catch radius. You can win with cunning (putting the guy that covers you on the back foot).

ESB is too tall for a traditional slot guy, but he does have desirable height (95% on Mockdraftable spiderweb), weight (78%), speed (64%, which is good for that size), arm length (78%) and a largely unquantified but generally accepted high level of athleticism and ability to adjust to throws. I would say there is enough there for ESB to be as effective (maybe more effective) than a more traditional build for that position.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Bumping this in case anyone who knows more about football than me can explain why ESB is considered a candidate to play in the slot. I know he played there last year, but why? Is there something about him or something he does well that makes him a good slot receiver? To a regular joe like me, he seems like the opposite of a slot receiver. Please help me understand.

The quick answer (without talking about whether I think ESB should be our solution) larger corners aren’t as agile and get stuck on the boundary, so using size in the slot can be effective. The Packers haven’t done this but a few teams have and it can be effective in the right situation (pretty much every crappy blocking receiving TE, Fitz in his elder years, Theilen for example do this).

8 hours ago, Lodestar said:

Bumping this in case anyone who knows more about football than me can explain.....why ESB is considered a candidate to play in the slot. I know he played there last year, but why? Is there something about him or something he does well that makes him a good slot receiver? To a regular joe like me, he seems like the opposite of a slot receiver. Please help me understand.

I'm naturally drawn to this comment.........
:)
But 1265 answered it properly already so I'll leave it be........

1 hour ago, pacman5252 said:

The quick answer (without talking about whether I think ESB should be our solution) larger corners aren’t as agile and get stuck on the boundary, so using size in the slot can be effective. The Packers haven’t done this but a few teams have and it can be effective in the right situation (pretty much every crappy blocking receiving TE, Fitz in his elder years, Theilen for example do this).

Also why Jordy played in the slot. Hard to chuck and control a big guy with momentum and he can run all the routes.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2019 at 12:58 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

We are going to have to agree to disagree on Allison.

Either way, my plan would be to sign him to a tender this season, and let him walk in 2020 unless all three of Moore, St. Brown, and Valdez-Scantling bomb in 2019.  I also think adding a WR is a luxury for this team, this year.  I think we go 4 deep at WR, better than anything we have at: TE, G, S, and ILB not named Martinez.

As to luxury, I don't think so. They have ambitions to stack the receiver room back to 2011 level. Why LaFleur is looking at every Rodgers snap from 2011 and they are looking at every single slot guy round one to round 7.

They will pull the trigger on Harry, A.J. Brown, or Isabella at the right price. In that order too I think.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JaireAlex said:

As to luxury, I don't think so. They have ambitions to stack the receiver room back to 2011 level. Why LaFleur is looking at every Rodgers snap from 2011 and they are looking at every single slot guy round one to round 7.

They will pull the trigger on Harry, A.J. Brown, or Isabella at the right price. In that order too I think.

Insider info?

7 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Insider info?

No.

They are broadcasting it very openly actually. In the past such interest has resulted in picks. I've never seen the Pack so interested in a particular position. And it's pretty easy to figure out what kind of receivers they like. Easier this year than ever. Gute went to watch Harry at the UCLA game and was personally at his pro day. There is a rumor (I don't know from where) that he is the number one WR on our board ....and I can see why.

Edited by JaireAlex

9 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

They have ambitions to stack the receiver room back to 2011 level. Why LaFleur is looking at every Rodgers snap from 2011 and they are looking at every single slot guy round one to round 7.

I was more speaking to this part, sorry for the confusion. Was wondering if this was from an article or if you had some insider info?

16 minutes ago, JaireAlex said:

We've been all over slot WRs this offseason, don't really see Harry as a good fit in the slot.  Maybe others will disagree.  AJ Brown seems like a natural fit though.  Maybe trade down from 30 into the early 2nd and grab him?

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

We've been all over slot WRs this offseason, don't really see Harry as a good fit in the slot.  Maybe others will disagree.  AJ Brown seems like a natural fit though.  Maybe trade down from 30 into the early 2nd and grab him?

Could trade back from 30 or if you want to use 30 on an OL for example, trade up from 44 to grab Brown. Probably have to give up one of the 4th rounders to get up into the late 30s where I think Brown will go if not sooner. 

Edited by packfanfb