NFL DRAFT RUMOR THREAD

49erurtaza

49 minutes ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

according to adam schefter: the front runners for josh rosen are giants, dolphins and chargers.

Considering Miami has been steadfast in the rumors about waiting until 2020 to look for a QB, I think it's highly unlikely they're in on Rosen.  Giants like Jones, Broncos like Lock.  Bengals probably end up with Haskins by default.

7 minutes ago, SBLIII said:

PFF had him as 1st round value for a while now.

Really Darnell Savage Jr?  Shows just how much a good 40 can improve ones draft stock.  Here are the top safeties in terms of what they ran at the combine 40 time since 2006

Z. Woods 
T. Apke
TJ Green
Josh Barrett
Laron Landry
Justin Cox
Darnell Savage
Darius West
Natrell Jamerson
Obi Melifonwu
Justin Reid
Chris Clemons
Dane Cruikshank
Will Harris
Josh Jones

Only one of them is a great player Laron Landry and Justin Reid has great potential but is not a great player yet obviously, the rest is a pretty suspect list I would say.  Great for Savage and he does have some good tape but everyone wants that coverage safety with speed but just because you can run fast does not always mean you will be a great safety.  Savage is a corner playing safety which works because he can hit from time to time, will see if he can do that in the NFL.   Never have been amazed by his career but at least he has been more productive than the likes of Z. Woods on Ole Miss who also ran a blazing 40 as a safety.

On this list it is very impressive Will Harris is this high, looking back he had one heck of a combine not many talked about this year coming out of Boston College.  Liked him during the season as well and he culd be a great mid round draft pick and has nice size as a safety.  

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Considering Miami has been steadfast in the rumors about waiting until 2020 to look for a QB, I think it's highly unlikely they're in on Rosen.  Giants like Jones, Broncos like Lock.  Bengals probably end up with Haskins by default.

Seems all too suspicious that Miami would gamble on 2020 QB's when anything can happen between now and then. I gotta wonder if they've been blowing this whole time. If the Dolphins are in on Rosen, they are probably in on the rookie QB's too.

Back in 2017 nobody had an inkling of a thought that the Bears would be in on Trubisky but as it would turn out they traded up for him. 

2 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Really Darnell Savage Jr?  Shows just how much a good 40 can improve ones draft stock.  Here are the top safeties in terms of what they ran at the combine 40 time since 2006

Z. Woods 
T. Apke
TJ Green
Josh Barrett
Laron Landry
Justin Cox
Darnell Savage
Darius West
Natrell Jamerson
Obi Melifonwu
Justin Reid
Chris Clemons
Dane Cruikshank
Will Harris
Josh Jones

Only one of them is a great player Laron Landry and Justin Reid has great potential but is not a great player yet obviously, the rest is a pretty suspect list I would say.  Great for Savage and he does have some good tape but everyone wants that coverage safety with speed but just because you can run fast does not always mean you will be a great safety.  Savage is a corner playing safety which works because he can hit from time to time, will see if he can do that in the NFL.   Never have been amazed by his career but at least he has been more productive than the likes of Z. Woods on Ole Miss who also ran a blazing 40 as a safety.

On this list it is very impressive Will Harris is this high, looking back he had one heck of a combine not many talked about this year coming out of Boston College.  Liked him during the season as well and he culd be a great mid round draft pick and has nice size as a safety.  

I'm a fan of what I see in his scouting reports.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/player/darnell-savage

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

Seems all too suspicious that Miami would gamble on 2020 QB's when anything can happen between now and then. I gotta wonder if they've been blowing this whole time. If the Dolphins are in on Rosen, they are probably in on the rookie QB's too.

Back in 2017 nobody had an inkling of a thought that the Bears would be in on Trubisky but as it would turn out they traded up for him. 

Miami is bottoming out, it's pretty obvious.  The biggest FA singing they had this season was signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 2 year, $11M deal.  They shipped Ryan Tannehill to the Titans for a pick.  Other than Fitzpatrick, the only multi-year deals they handed out were Dwayne Allen (2 years, $6.5M) and Chris Reed (2 years, $2.975M).

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Miami is bottoming out, it's pretty obvious.  The biggest FA singing they had this season was signing Ryan Fitzpatrick to a 2 year, $11M deal.  They shipped Ryan Tannehill to the Titans for a pick.  Other than Fitzpatrick, the only multi-year deals they handed out were Dwayne Allen (2 years, $6.5M) and Chris Reed (2 years, $2.975M).

Did Miami at least cut the dead weight like Julius Thomas? I know they traded Robert Quinn.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'll reference the Bears again, they did basically the exact same thing in 2017. A bunch of small 1-2 year deals to a bunch of guys that already aren't on the team anymore. I'm not necessarily expecting it, but I'm not ruling it out. It would be the perfect smokescreen and it's been done before in recent memory.

2 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

I'll reference the Bears again, they did basically the exact same thing in 2017. A bunch of small 1-2 year deals to a bunch of guys that already aren't on the team anymore. I'm not necessarily expecting it, but I'm not ruling it out. It would be the perfect smokescreen and it's been done before in recent memory.

Except they've got a slew of teams who are ahead of them who could all take QBs.  Are they going to deal picks to move up when their team is full of holes?  I'd put maybe a 1% chance they take a QB, but I think it's FAR more likely they grab another position or trade down.

1 minute ago, jetjuice said:

The Bears did do this in 2017 and signed a bunch of nobodies and tied up almost no money long term. They knew they were bad, they knew John Fox was a lame duck, they knew they needed to bail on Cutler.

They did draft their QB that year, so it would be a little different, but it is clear that Miami is not going to be good this season and they have done the smart thing and embraced that. I would be shocked if they trade for a QB.

I would expect the Dolphins would trade down, gather picks for 2020 when they may need to move for a QB, and spam spots on the roster to help the 2020 QB like OL and WR.

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

And if they are tanking, would there be any smoke to the rumors of them as possible trade partners with the Jets on a cheap trade? (like a 2nd & 3rd this year and that's it - crazy I know but I read that this morning I think in this thread actually) They'd reportedly be moving up to secure an elite DL at #3 (perhaps Quinnen or Oliver?) - quality over quantity approach that benefits both sides. I could see both the Dolphins and Jets thinking they'd be getting the better of each other and the Dolphins still will have all their picks next year for the "rebuild."

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Except they've got a slew of teams who are ahead of them who could all take QBs.  Are they going to deal picks to move up when their team is full of holes?  I'd put maybe a 1% chance they take a QB, but I think it's FAR more likely they grab another position or trade down.

Agreed. 2020 is their year for a QB.

My guess is they will move and try and stockpile 2020 picks in case they need to move up in the draft next year for Tua or whoever.

1 minute ago, WindyCity said:

The Bears did do this in 2017 and signed a bunch of nobodies and tied up almost no money long term. They knew they were bad, they knew John Fox was a lame duck, they knew they needed to bail on Cutler.

They did draft their QB that year, so it would be a little different, but it is clear that Miami is not going to be good this season and they have done the smart thing and embraced that. I would be shocked if they trade for a QB.

I would expect the Dolphins would trade down, gather picks for 2020 when they may need to move for a QB, and spam spots on the roster to help the 2020 QB like OL and WR.

Did anyone think the Bears would be good that year? From my recollection they were still a few years away and Ryan Pace was about to be on the hot seat.

Just now, jetjuice said:

Did anyone think the Bears would be good that year? From my recollection they were still a few years away and Ryan Pace was about to be on the hot seat.

No, they were bad and everyone knew they would be bad.

But they also embraced being bad and were at 3, which put them in the QB discussion. The Dolphins cannot embrace being bad in FA and then mortgage a ton of the future to move from 15 to 2-3.

4 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

No, they were bad and everyone knew they would be bad.

But they also embraced being bad and were at 3, which put them in the QB discussion. The Dolphins cannot embrace being bad in FA and then mortgage a ton of the future to move from 15 to 2-3.

Which is why the rumors of the Dolphins moving up to 3, with the Jets no less, makes zero sense, even if it's for a DL. However, sitting put at 13 and taking a QB like Haskins or Lock if they slide cannot be ruled out IMO.

For me, the Bears trading up for Trubisky was one of the biggest draft day shockers I've ever seen. Had no idea they were going QB.

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Yeah, I'd gotten the sensation that his value was rising as of late. Wouldn't be surprised to see him go at 31 to the Rams.

For some reason I see the Patriots taking Winovich.

I would. I get the impression that the Rams were considering him more if they do wheeling and dealing.

Archived