Is Philip Rivers a HoF QB?

Danger

Rivers HoF?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Does Philip Rivers belong in the NFL Hall of Fame?

• Yes, First Ballot
    • Yes, after a few years
    • Yes, after many years
    • No, never.

2 minutes ago, lancerman said:

He got in on merit, he got in for historical significance 

I mean he retired top 5 in yards, touchdowns, and completions despite starting in the NFL at age 28 and missing like 2 seasons worth of football due to injuries.

20 minutes ago, Malik said:

I mean he retired top 5 in yards, touchdowns, and completions despite starting in the NFL at age 28 and missing like 2 seasons worth of football due to injuries.

That and he had a huge historical case to his resume that was completely unique. 

1 hour ago, SkippyX said:

How many of those 8 were awful in the playoffs, barely had impact winning seasons(12+), and were dwarfed by 10+ QBs who played during their careers?

How many of them were the 3rd best impact QBs in their draft class?

He's a very good QB who has not proven anything but stat compiling yet.

Kerry Collins and Vinny Testaverde compiled stats as well. Collins even got to a Super Bowl.

• Of course Rivers is better than them, but his resume is not Hall of Fame.

Rivers' playoff resume is like Kerry Collins with less Championship games.

Dwarfed by 10 qbs in what? Because it sure wasnt production, consistency, efficiency and regular season individual dominance. I can tell you quite a few of those qbs didnt have more than 4 double digit win seasons. Rivers after 2019 will be 8th on the all time win list for qbs.

Awful in the playoffs? Rivers certainly hasnt been awful by any stretch.

What is an impact qb exactly?

His resume is exactly HOF.  Like i said show me any player, any era or any position who has had the regular season level of play Rivers has had with playing at a top 5 level for over a decade with 8 probowls to go with it and multiple MVP worthy seasons (08 and 09)

Rivers played in an era with arguably the 2 or 3 best qbs of all time. In which he still overall kept pace with them in terms of regular season production on a consistency, efficiency and volume level per season. I broke that down already with yds, tds, comp%, passer rating and ypa. 

Tom Brady - 64%, 262.1 ypg, 1.9 td%, 0.6 int%, 97.6 passer rating, 7.5 y/a, 7.80 ay/a, 6.86 ny/a, 7.13 any/a

Peyton Manning - 65.3%, 270.5 ypg, 2.0 td%, 0.9 int%, 96.5 passer rating, 7.7 y/a, 7.61 ay/a, 7.23 ny/a, 7.17 any/a

Drew Brees - 67.3%, 282 ypg, 2.0 td%, 0.9 int%, 97.7 passer rating, 7.6 y/a, 7.6 ay/a, 7.04 ny/a, 7.03 any/a

Aaron Rodgers - 64.8%, 260.3 ypg, 2.0 td%, 0.5 int%, 103.1 passer rating, 7.8 y/a, 8.39 ay/a, 6.82 ny/a, 7.35 any/a

Philip Rivers - 64.5%, 257.8 ypg, 1.8 td%, 0.8 int%, 95.6 passer rating, 7.8 y/a, 7.73 ay/a, 7.04 ny/a, 6.97 any/a

On 2/14/2019 at 8:38 PM, ThatJerkDave said:

Yes.  Especially since there are so many belts and weight classes, I am trying to think of someone that didn't hold a title that I would call a "contender."

This is heavyweights alone, all time.

Sam Langford

Joe Jeanette 

Harry Wills 

Tommy Farr

Jimmy Bivins

Elmer Ray

Archie Moore

Zora Folley

Eddie Machen

Oscar Bonavena

Jerry Quarry

Ron Lyle

Earnie Shavers

Jimmy Young

Gerry Cooney

You have to compare players to their era. Brady, Brees, and Rodgers were unquestionable the elite QBs of their era (along with Peyton who retired)...so I think they are the only ones who should be in. No to Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, or any other name of a good QB who was not in that top tier. 

13 hours ago, sammymvpknight said:

You have to compare players to their era. Brady, Brees, and Rodgers were unquestionable the elite QBs of their era (along with Peyton who retired)...so I think they are the only ones who should be in. No to Eli, Roethlisberger, Rivers, or any other name of a good QB who was not in that top tier. 

This is how the HOF should work. However, in all likelihood - the QBs you listed as shouldn't make the HOF, will make it in. The passing era will favour QBs & WRs, just as previous eras saw a lot of dynasty players & RBs get inducted. 

It’s a shame that Rivers didn’t start his first two seasons. Assuming he would have been a below average QB on a talented team who misses playoffs both years, it still would changed his all time stats big time. 

He would be in a position to seriously challenge Favre’s all time start streak, Brees yardage record, and Manning’s touchdown record. He would also have a good chance to end up top five in all time wins. 

Archived