Is Rivers better than any current HoF QBs?

patriotsheatyan

1 hour ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Do you believe Rivers is better than Namath, Kelly, Stabler, Moon, Fouts, Aikman, or any of the QBs perceived to be among the weakest HoFers?

Better either in terms of average play, or better in terms of overall career?

I sure wouldn't put Moon or Fouts on a list of "weak HOFers".  About the only one on that list I would replace with Rivers would be Ken Stabler, and that could be a bad decision purely because of the era that The Snake played in.

He's better than most, but when you consider era, he's better than a couple. Namath is one, no business being in the Hall of Fame. 

That said, just because there are QB's who are in and don't deserve to be doesn't mean that trend should continue. 

12 hours ago, patriotsheatyan said:

Do you believe Rivers is better than Namath, Kelly, Stabler, Moon, Fouts, Aikman, or any of the QBs perceived to be among the weakest HoFers?

Better either in terms of average play, or better in terms of overall career?

Namath

-Super Bowl Champion 

- All Pro 1972

- First QB in history to break 4000 yards in an era where it wasn’t a thing 

-2x AFL MVP

- 4x All AFL

-AFL All TIme Team 

Ken Stabler

- SB Champion

- NFL MVP

-2x All Pro 

-OPOY

-1970’s All Decade Team 

Jim Kelly

-4 consecutive Super Bowl appearance 

- 3x All Pro

Dan Fouts 

-4x All Pro

-OPOY

-PWFA MVP 

-1980’s All Decade Team 

Warren Moon

- All Pro

-OPOY

-historical situation as a black QB that no other HOF has

Everything I mentioned is something Rivers lacks on his resume. The one thing Rivers has over them is more volume stats in an era where pretty much every franchise QB has higher volume stats 

Rivers is really good but I feel like he never gets blamed for shortcomings.  There have been so many games over the course of his career, where the Chargers were loaded and he would choke at the end.  I just feel like over time, he is what he is.  A very efficient passer, with terrific longevity and heart but 13 seasons and only like 3 seasons where he won a playoff game (07, 08, 13) correct me if im wrong.  I keep waiting for him to just win one to cement himself, but it hasn't happened.  I really thought this would be the year.  I don't want to call him overrated, but he def isn't underrated anymore.

6 hours ago, Danger said:

Namath is one, no business being in the Hall of Fame. 

Ehh. It's the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good Stats.

Sure, statistically speaking, he wouldn't sniff the Hall. But he's not in the Hall just because of his stats. He's in there because of his legacy as a player. Very few things in the history of the league have had a larger impact than Namath's guarantee and the win that followed. He legitimized the AFL's talent as as a true competitor to the perceived better NFL, just a little over a year prior to the official merger date. Prior to that game, the general belief across the country was that the AFL was an inferior product, and that the NFL was only merging with the AFL because Al Davis had tried to steal players from the NFL. Without that win, the league probably would have continued to have problems making people believe that the two products were on equal footing. The hype around Namath's guarantee, and the subsequent delivering on that guarantee, was vital in changing the entire narrative around the merger.

His legacy is that of a Hall of Famer.

Just now, pwny said:

Sure, statistically speaking, he wouldn't sniff the Hall. But he's not in the Hall just because of his stats. He's in there because of his legacy as a player. Very few things in the history of the league have had a larger impact than Namath's guarantee and the win that followed. He legitimized the AFL's talent as as a true competitor to the perceived better NFL, just a little over a year prior to the official merger date. Prior to that game, the general belief across the country was that the AFL was an inferior product, and that the NFL was only merging with the AFL because Al Davis had tried to steal players from the NFL. Without that win, the league probably would have continued to have problems making people believe that the two products were on equal footing. The hype around Namath's guarantee, and the subsequent delivering on that guarantee, was vital in changing the entire narrative around the merger.

I accept this. That said, IMO I don't feel he belongs.

36 minutes ago, pwny said:

ALSO, Joe Namath almost surely was the first QB to star in an epic of the cinema that probably should have won recognition at the Cannes Film Festival, even if it didn't!

Image result for Joe Namath C.C.Rider

5 hours ago, Danger said:

I accept this. That said, IMO I don't feel he belongs.

I don't see why. Here's a great breakdown of why even his stats are HoF worthy: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/blog/index3ab6.html?p=6003

His stats aren't as pretty as the QBs of today, but that's because the game was totally different. When compared to the QBs of his time, Namath was an elite QB.

Archived