Demarcus Lawrence and potential franchise tag

jwalter_81

Was just thinking with how the Cowboys have been slow playing rewarding Lawrence with the long term deal he is seeking. DeMarcus Lawrence needs shoulder surgery on his labrum that will have him out 3-4 months. If the Cowboys elect to place the franchise tag on him again, he can elect to undergo surgery later in the offseason to intentionally sit out the entire season, still getting the $20 million and enter as an UFA next offseason. Cowboys could be setting themselves up for a massive finesse job if they stingy with the long term deal. 

I know John Lynch would love to have him on the 49ers edge next to Deforest Buckner 😂

6 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I don't really know how they can afford him when they have contracts looming for Dak / Zeke & Amari and somehow manage to have interest in Earl Thomas while still needing to sign Lawrence. One of these will not be a Cowboy.

I wouldn't be surprised if they go all in on this coming season. They're in a fine cap situation right now. Lawrence and Beasley are really the only UFAs worth mentioning at all, and they have just under $50M to work with. Next year is where it gets iffy. $125M projected to work with for them, but that's without Lawrence, Prescott, Elliott, Cooper, Jones, and a handful of cheaper but still useful players. Those 5 alone could legitimately be almost $100M of that cap space. So I could see them going all-in this year. Give Lawrence his or re-franchise him. Try to pitch Thomas a one year deal or a front loaded deal for a couple of years. Go after another one or two short term patches. And accept that painful choices will be made in 2020. Just hope you get a superbowl before it.

32 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they go all in on this coming season. They're in a fine cap situation right now. Lawrence and Beasley are really the only UFAs worth mentioning at all, and they have just under $50M to work with. Next year is where it gets iffy. $125M projected to work with for them, but that's without Lawrence, Prescott, Elliott, Cooper, Jones, and a handful of cheaper but still useful players. Those 5 alone could legitimately be almost $100M of that cap space. So I could see them going all-in this year. Give Lawrence his or re-franchise him. Try to pitch Thomas a one year deal or a front loaded deal for a couple of years. Go after another one or two short term patches. And accept that painful choices will be made in 2020. Just hope you get a superbowl before it.

The Cooper trade was not a good long-term move for THIS team, unless they find a way to maneuver it cap-wise. Honestly. We ourselves traded him because of apparent lack of production/scheme fit and because Segal was going to demand 16-18 million APY for him/ensure a mack-like holdout.

Dallas has a lot of dudes they're going to need to pay and I don't see how they do it now. It was already going to be hard with dak, zeke, lawrence, and byron jones. Adding another expiring free agent will only make it worse. 

I guess they should go all in, but I don't know if I favor their chances or trust Prescott to shine in big games. Hell the NFC west is such a **** show, I don't know who'll win it next year.

14 minutes ago, tom cody said:

25 million for Dak? Doubt that happens. As was said above Dallas would be best letting Dak go and draft a better QB.

Eh, Dak isn’t the best but it would still be difficult to find someone better.  That would be a risky move, especially considering all the teams who will need QBs soon, including the teams with old guys.

I’m interested in seeing how he looks with different play-calling/scheme.

5 hours ago, SBLIII said:

The Cowboys will be in cap hell very soon with a limited ceiling. Smart would be to let Dak walk and draft a QB who then can succeed with a lot of talent around him. 

That's a great idea because there is always 5-6 legit QBs in the draft. 

Dak is the worst possible option at qb for the cowboys, he is good enough to win a lot games, but he needs a lot of talent around him. An oline, a defense, a wr, a rb. None of that is cheap. 

If he wants this tow work he has to take a hit 20 million not 25-30. 

Archived