JMoore, ESB, MVS. Future outlook.

GHARMON9

16 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, if you're drafting for depth I'd rather not invest a Day 1 or Day 2 pick.  If you're drafting a Day 1 or Day 2 pick, I want them to be WR3 at the very worst.  If they're not in a realistic spot to push for WR3, it's a waste of pick unless we're talking about insane value.  Something like Metcalf being on the board at 44 might be a situation like that.  I'd argue that TE is a bigger need than WR, but we're talking about picking someone for their sophomore year than their rookie year.  Would I like to add Hockenson, Irv Smith, or Noah Fant? Absolutely.  But am I spending a top 44 pick on them?  Probably not.

I’m with you on the WR take. Not sure I agree with the TE take. 

1. You can’t draft purely for a player’s impact in year 1. Don’t the Packers have a history of drafting players to replace a perceived hole a year a head of time? Players like Rodgers, Nelson, Cobb, Adams, Bak, Spriggs, Josh Jones, Etc?

2. TE’s might not have a history of producing in year 1, but in today’s NFL it seems it’s becoming easier for a WR/TE to produce in year 1.

3. I think the impact a rookie TE might make early in the season would be minimal, but as the season progresses could grow and be completely different the 2nd half of the season into the playoffs. There’s a huge difference in the ability level of a rookie from the beginning to the end of the season. Their ability and impact doesn’t stay static throughout the season. 

4. It seems like LaFleur’s offense is more likely to use 2 TE sets than McCarthy’s. Graham and a Day 1/2 Rookie could work well together. Much like the Eagles drafting Goedert in the 2nd in 2018 to play alongside Ertz.

5. What’s our plan to replace Graham if we don’t take a TE in day 1/2? Relying on a day 3 rookie to develop? Or relying on a rookie from the 2020 draft to start his rookie year? 

I’m not advocating for picking a TE at #12, but if we don’t come out of this draft with a TE in the first 4 rounds I’ll be very disappointed.

23 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

I don't know if you can call a mid round rookie a huge disappointment. Give him a shot to learn an NFL Offense and see what he can do after his rookie year.

Yes, Adams and Jordy weren't all that wonderful in their first couple of seasons and they were 2nd round picks where more is expected.  

I never saw it with J'Mon, unfortunately, he seems talented physically though.  I'm treating him as if he were an UDRFA this TC and make him earn any reps he gets.  I"m not expecting him to make the roster.  Already going to be a crowded room and I'm expecting to add another WR via trade :D, FA or draft.

Hope it somehow clicks for him, but I am thinking it wont.

I honestly was not surprised at MVS's  rookie season at all. He played in two lesser programs, but was wildly productive for either. Sure, he's not that great of a leaper, but he's pristine in his route-running, he has the coveted speed, and he has plus field vision. I wouldn't be surprised if he snatched the WR2 slot from Allison. I also wasn't all too surprised with Moore's output as well. He struggled heavily in preseason and that spilled over into the season. Does he recover? I'd rather be optimistic about that because one could argue that he wasn't utilized properly this past season. He's a guy that works best on the outside winning 1-on-1 match-ups. ESB is smack dab in the middle of either and I feel he too wasn't utilized properly.

I think all three improve fairly marginally with MVS needing the least improvement, if any IMHO; but at the end of the day Moore is probably going to really look like a blown experiment if he doesn't rebound this year. I think we'll have a better sense of where each of them stand at this point next year. In the meantime, it's time to find Cobb's replacement. This draft doesn't really help us with that unless we grab Andy Isabella and FA is dry for slot WR's if I'm not mistaken.

On 2/22/2019 at 4:21 PM, gopackgo247 said:

WR is all about development. lets see where these 3 are in a few years. 

This, I think by their third season you know what you have with them. The Packers have shown time and time again they can develop receivers over that kind of time frame.

13 hours ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

To me it all depends on how you feel about Allison. If you think Allison is good to go at #2, then MVS, and ESB are fine as 3 and 4. I'm of the opinion that they should bring in a mid-range FA to compete with Allison. No need to draft anyone high at this point.  

I'm just about there.  I think it is between Allison and MVS for the #2 spot.  I think that MVS hit the rookie wall, and with a full year, he will be more ready than he was this season.  Let's not forget that MVS dove right into the playbook when he got it in rookie camp.  Most of us thought that he would be behind Moore and EQ, but it was MVS that learned all of the positions and came in ready to go.  I also think that Allison has answered the bell every single time.  If he is healthy, he is a fine #2 WR, and will be a very good 3rd or 4th if/when last years draft picks overtake him.  

If anything, this WR group is missing a small, quick, shifty guy.  I would not be opposed to bringing back Randall Cobb.  We just don't want $12 million per season Randall Cobb.  

I don't think it is a secret that I don't like J'Mon Moore.  But he is a better player than what he showed last season.  Give him a second chance, he might surprise you.

I have zero problem with Allison, MVS, and EQ being 2, 3, and 4 on the WR depth chart in some order.  That will not be why the Packers are not successful.

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

What good does it do to let a guy on a cheap deal who is good go? 

I guess let him and Moore fight it out for 5th spot.  6th should be a return guy,  allison is so limited athletically and offers no ST value.  Ruval Martin type...

Speaking of Moore, I remember on several occasions in the preseason he completely dusted his defender, only to follow up with a drop (or it was a bad pass).

I've got more faith in him than most seem to on this board. Same could be said for the other young WRs. This is the most raw talented group I've ever seen in GB. 

I'm more than confident going in with #1 Adams, #2 Allison(was playing great before injury), #3 MVS, #4 EQ, #5 Moore, #6 Kumerow. 

1 hour ago, ReadyToThump said:

I'm more than confident going in with #1 Adams, #2 Allison(was playing great before injury), #3 MVS, #4 EQ, #5 Moore, #6 Kumerow. 

I agree and I also would bet that Kumerow has the highest percentage of catches per snaps played of all of the receivers.

So what happens with Kumerow. Does Moore have PS eligibility if we have a strong WR stable. I seriously doubt we keep 7 WR's as pass happy as our offense will be. I'm thinking we may want to modify the playbook for a year given the slot WR issue; maybe bring in someone like Justice Hill that could run bubble screens out of the backfield. Hill's a fairly explosive back with excellent speed and downfield vision. This year's class really isn't that great for slot receivers and some will be overdrafted. 

Archived