draft pick

chris

1 minute ago, Leader said:

I dont necessarily want him. Recognize the talent - thats unmistakable - but really dont want the headache and it would be short term.
But - as that list indicates - we've had more than our fair share of "short term producing" 2nd round picks.
Was just offering up past draft values to put the potential transaction into some context.

I'd be damn tempted if it only meant our 3rd rounder. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I'd be damn tempted if it only meant our 3rd rounder. 

You'd have to be. For simple talent vs talent comparison? You'd have to go with AB.
Throw in the $$$ cost.....
Throw in the headache cost.....
Who knows. But lets not go overboard thinking he wouldnt bring a nice dimension to our offense.

11 minutes ago, Joe said:

Brown is a cap killer, a lockerroom cancer, and will ultimately prove to be a mouthier Mike Wallace in time.

LoL.  Mike Wallace??  

AB is at worst the 2nd best WR in the league if not THE best.  In 15 games last year for a team he didn’t want to play for, he still put up elite numbers.  He’s a beast.  What would he do with a fresh start with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Golden Nugget?  I’d give up #44 for him in a heartbeat.  Adams and Brown would be the best WR duo in years.   Brown and MVS on the outside with Adams in slot?  Oh.  My.  Goodness.

He wasn’t a cancer in Pittsburgh until very recently and it sounds like Big Ben’s antics are highly culpable for that.  The off the field stuff I cannot speak for tho.  Gotta do the due diligence there.  

35 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

LoL.  Mike Wallace??  

AB is at worst the 2nd best WR in the league if not THE best.  In 15 games last year for a team he didn’t want to play for, he still put up elite numbers.  He’s a beast.  What would he do with a fresh start with a chip on his shoulder the size of the Golden Nugget?  I’d give up #44 for him in a heartbeat.  Adams and Brown would be the best WR duo in years.   Brown and MVS on the outside with Adams in slot?  Oh.  My.  Goodness.

He wasn’t a cancer in Pittsburgh until very recently and it sounds like Big Ben’s antics are highly culpable for that.  The off the field stuff I cannot speak for tho.  Gotta do the due diligence there.  

You're right in that Big Ben's antics were the culprit. Ben needs to just retire and be done with it. He's becoming quite Favrian on that front though not as aggressive.

If you may recall, AB essentially replaced Mike Wallace as THE target of Big Ben after Mike Wallace wanted more money, made a stink about it, and then essentially disappeared. Like AB, Wallace was ridiculously productive for Pittsburgh until he got greedy. Different circumstances, but the same sentiment as he's heading out the door. That's why I make the comparison.

No doubt Big Ben is a large part of it.  But, if you listen to other (former) Pitt players, AB became a diva a long time ago.  Late or absent at meetings.  Needed his own "crib" for training camp.  There's a lot more there than just being upset about your quarterback talking to the media.  And it seems like he's in the news at least once a year for something interesting.  Didn't he throw a couch out of a hotel room and almost hit someone below?  Thinking he was in the news this past year for pushing his child's mother to the ground.  (Much more to that one, as it seemed like the mother wasn't innocent, either.) I think he was cited for reckless driving, 100+mph.  Things like that routinely happen to him.  They aren't isolated incidents. 

Aw heck, this links sums up a lot of stuff that happened in like a year.  https://937thefan.radio.com/articles/antonio-brown-report-just-latest-bizarre-year

I'm not knocking the talent at all, the guy is amazing on the field.  But...as amazing as he is on it, he's horrible off of it.  

4 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

It's not the draft pick at all, Brown is going to give you more than anything we can get from 30 on down, it's the money. His cap hit is what 12m? You think he gets you more than a 8 per year safety and an 8m per year EDGE that would probably have the same 12m cap hit?

Highly debatable.

That's the point.

How much does a second round pick cost to sign ? 2m ? 

You aren't swapping Brown for a Spriggs or an Adams or anyone else on that list.  You are swapping Brown for the second round pick AND a 10m Free Agent. Maybe you use that 10m to sign Kenny Clark down the line. You are swapping Brown for keeping Kenny Clark AND drafting an Adams, Spriggs or Cobb (hopefully the former )

Archived