BDL Owners Meeting 2019

TedLavie

43 minutes ago, PR said:

Im going to go yes for 1-4 because it makes more sense in comparison to IRL rounds as 5&6 are 3rd round.

Ironic from the one guy that was the only person to vote for changing rounds 5-7 to 4 years last year.

I'll go ahead and switch my vote to the 1-4 year version as that is likely what is going to pass in the end as the least amount of change version.

Getting rid of 5 year 1st rounders is the main goal that needs to happen.

@TedLavie

25 minutes ago, SirA1 said:

Ironic from the one guy that was the only person to vote for changing rounds 5-7 to 4 years last year.

I'll go ahead and switch my vote to the 1-4 year version as that is likely what is going to pass in the end as the least amount of change version.

Getting rid of 5 year 1st rounders is the main goal that needs to happen.

@TedLavie

I know. I didn't factor in the every draftee hitting FA at the same time.

Just now, PR said:

I know. I didn't factor in the every draftee hitting FA at the same time.

As Ted has said that doesn't really matter as you have multiple guys from multiple draft classes hitting FA at the same time the way we do it now.

Half of the people that I draft aren't even around by year 4 if they don't produce so you can find ways to keep the ones you want.

On 3/5/2019 at 3:06 AM, TedLavie said:

Argument for : Standardizing the Contract years of Drafted players to 4 years removes a lot of the need for corner case rules.

@TedLavie Can you explain to me what a "corner case rule" is. Maybe i'll understand your push for the rule.

On 3/5/2019 at 7:14 AM, TedLavie said:

Only valid argument I heard was Ruskie's (I think) in the sense that yes the current structure basically gives a bonus to the owners who use their 1st rounder well as the money allocated to those players is less than IRL

So its "Corner case rules" vs an added benefit of drafting better

On 3/5/2019 at 11:04 AM, pheltzbahr said:

For anyone voting no to reducing 1st round to 4 years, this is something that will eliminate any issues with 3Ups going forward.  I get wanting to lock in a first rounder on the cheap for a 5th year for YOUR team, but is it worth it to eliminate the headache that arises on outlier situations for the ENTIRE league?  This will make the 3Up rule IRONCLAD in application and basically on autopilot.

I think I wrapped my head around it....The dumb way to describe it is as follows:

If we reduce all rookie first round contracts to 4 years it will mirror NFL contracts, therefore BDL teams are making decisions on 5th year options and 3ups at the same time as the NFL teams meaning that the contracts they would sign would mirror their IRL contract length exactly and the term would only differ due to the BDL 3up discount (75%).

If that is correct I'll vote, if that's incorrect or not the intent of the change please let me know.

Archived