Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

1 hour ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Do we have any minor league pitching depth? My recollection is we're pretty shot there

Fedde and then .... ? And I don't think Fedde is worth much. HIs ceiling seems to be Edwin Jackson.

I just don't think Roark is worth 10 million. I think he's going to continue to decline.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Fedde and then .... ? And I don't think Fedde is worth much. HIs ceiling seems to be Edwin Jackson.

I just don't think Roark is worth 10 million. I think he's going to continue to decline.

It did seem like we had some talent in Romero but he’s a dummy and the TJ surgery doesn’t help matters. 

We've traded away a lot of our depth. Giolito, Lopez, Luzardo, Cole, and Pivetta. Now, I'd say outside of Pivetta, we've gotten something good from the trade. But eventually that's going to take it's toll.

In the case of Giolito, it was simply trading him a year too late. If they deal him in the 2015 offseason, we're talking about still having Dunning and Lopez, and probably could have gotten a more valuable player than Eaton. But still, I'd say the Nationals have gotten their money's worth out of that trade.

Luzardo is going to hurt at some point.

Pivetta is interesting in that he had a ton of stuff, but couldn't control it. He'd be fine for a couple years as a cheap number 5, but eventually you'd want to dump him.

But they spent their arms to make improvements to the team. So there is a lack of depth in the system, and that's probably the only reason they didn't non-tender Roark. Still, I legitimately believe you could get a Brett Anderson, Matt Harvey, Wade Miley, or Jeremy Hellickson for less than 10 million this season and get similar performance.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Slateman said:

Maybe in the playoffs, but when healthy, Strasburg is better.

We don't need to re-sign Gio. We're already paying Roark 10 million. If anything, I'd rather see them move Roark for salary relief and sign someone like Hellickson for cheaper.

It's the bolded part that's the major risk.

I just threw out Gio's name as another lefty that could be had to create the left-right bounce for most opponents to deal with. Excluding the occasional two game mini-series with the AL division matchup, having a lefty at 2 and 4 would guarantee your opponent would have to adjust their lineup at least once to handle the other pitcher.

However, I forgot about Roark getting tendered.

I can’t say I’m upset with ownership over Harper. They made him a really good offer, which he turned down. They didn’t sit around and wait, they continued on improving the team. I’ll miss Harper but I’m excited about Robles, Eaton and Soto in the outfield. 

On 12/7/2018 at 10:38 AM, Slateman said:

We've traded away a lot of our depth. Giolito, Lopez, Luzardo, Cole, and Pivetta. Now, I'd say outside of Pivetta, we've gotten something good from the trade. But eventually that's going to take it's toll.

In the case of Giolito, it was simply trading him a year too late. If they deal him in the 2015 offseason, we're talking about still having Dunning and Lopez, and probably could have gotten a more valuable player than Eaton. But still, I'd say the Nationals have gotten their money's worth out of that trade.

Luzardo is going to hurt at some point.

Pivetta is interesting in that he had a ton of stuff, but couldn't control it. He'd be fine for a couple years as a cheap number 5, but eventually you'd want to dump him.

But they spent their arms to make improvements to the team. So there is a lack of depth in the system, and that's probably the only reason they didn't non-tender Roark. Still, I legitimately believe you could get a Brett Anderson, Matt Harvey, Wade Miley, or Jeremy Hellickson for less than 10 million this season and get similar performance.

According to Jeff Passan of Yahoo Sports, the Nationals have engaged in multiple trade discussions regarding right-hander Tanner Roark.
Roark earned $6.475 million in 2018 and MLB Trade Rumors projects him to come close to $10 million in arbitration this winter, so the Nationals are looking at their options while also monitoring the free agent market for other starters. Of course, the Nats just bolstered their rotation with the addition of Patrick Corbin. Roark, 32, posted a 4.34 ERA and 146/50 K/BB ratio over 180 1/3 innings this past season. Dec 11 - 8:45 AM

8 hours ago, Jeezy Fanatic said:

Team negotiating an extension on Rendon. If the money saved on Harper is used for Corbin/Rendon Ext. / Eventual Trea Turner ext. it will be hard to complain too much.

And it kind of feels like the market is drying up a bit for Harper.

I will still be somewhat upset if he just chases the money in Philadelphia, but it's looking like there's less interest in other more sensible teams. Boras overplayed his hand?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Slateman said:

Not much. Harper gets one monster payday. He can wait a year. He can sign with the Dodgers on a one year deal. If he comes into ST with the goal of hitting .350 instead of 60 home runs, he wins MVP and collects his big payday.

And if he gets hurt? Or has a bad (for him) season?

• Like 1