Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

On 8/6/2018 at 1:15 AM, Slateman said:

You're missing the point. Those players would have provided the depth the team will need to compete going forward. These are the guys you trade for a Melancon, or the pieces you add to get a Trea Turner. Or the guy who becomes Tyler Clippard.

And it was pretty proven that Harper didnt have any value. 

You are assuming they could have gotten those pieces/prospects for guys like Murphy or Gonzalez.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-mlbs-tankathon-is-skewing-the-trade-market/

It is possible the top teams (your buyers) may not have had the chits with which to exchange for any of the our guys to make those future deals. If you want to sell just to sell, that's one thing, but there is still a chance to make a run (a small chance I admit, and I am not that hopeful with Davey at the helm).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Woz said:

You are assuming they could have gotten those pieces/prospects for guys like Murphy or Gonzalez.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/how-mlbs-tankathon-is-skewing-the-trade-market/

It is possible the top teams (your buyers) may not have had the chits with which to exchange for any of the our guys to make those future deals. If you want to sell just to sell, that's one thing, but there is still a chance to make a run (a small chance I admit, and I am not that hopeful with Davey at the helm).

They had teams interested in Harper and Gio. I'm not asking for major prospects here. Like, the most I was hoping to get was something similar to what the Orioles got for Britton if they dealt Herrera. Rizzo got international bonus pool money for Shawn Kelley. I would be totally okay with trading most of the expiring contracts for that. I think it's a safe assumption you can get 40-45 level prospects and/or bonus pool money for the expiring contracts on this team.

What I am saying is that admitting you simply don't have it this year allows you to begin prepping for next year. And the first part of that is dumping salary. Getting under the luxury tax threshold, so you're not paying the penalty next season. Then you go into free agency with a vengeance. Being under the threshold, Rizzo could easily go into the offseason and drop 80+ million AAV on players and have room to add during the season. Now you have the space to add a quality number 3 starter, a starting catcher who can hit over .250, and a starting middle infielder. You have the depth now to trade for players at the deadline you want, and still give your top prospects time to develop and not be forced into the fire. Or the depth to legitimately trade one of them for a starting piece you want/need.

24 minutes ago, Woz said:

Fair enough @Slateman. However, if our suspicion is correct that the Lerners still think the Nats can make a run, it makes sense to not sell. Of course, I think they're a bit delusional but there you are.

That's been my point all along. The Lerners made this decision because they dont want to lose money.

Rizzo had deals lined up for Harper and Gio and likely others. Lerners said no. Rizzo then made some really, really minor moves and then did nothing to fix a team with some significant holes.

I can only hope Rizzo is going to play this out and let the team sink itself so he can shed payroll going into the offseason.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

That's been my point all along. The Lerners made this decision because they dont want to lose money.

That got lost in translation then.

5 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Rizzo had deals lined up for Harper and Gio and likely others. Lerners said no. Rizzo then made some really, really minor moves and then did nothing to fix a team with some significant holes.

Too bad they couldn't get a MLB quality catcher.

7 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I can only hope Rizzo is going to play this out and let the team sink itself so he can shed payroll going into the offseason.

SorrowfulBouncyGoldenmantledgroundsquirr

• Like 1

This is becoming a pattern for our pitchers. I'm so over this nonsense.

Last year, Koda craps the bed and after the game, reveals he has an injury. Goes on the DL for like a year.
Strasburg comes back, pitches like garbage, reveals he has an injury.
Herrera blows a game, reveals he has a shoulder injury
Madson blows the game last night, reveals afterwards he hurt his back.

I'm so tired of this crap. It's completely inexcusable. Pitching requires your body to be as close to perfect as possible. You CANNOT pitch through an injury. You're not an offensive lineman who can tough out some pain.

That's a three game swing right there. If they simply admit they aren't healthy, we're sitting 2.5 games back

• Like 1