Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

28 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Look I didn’t think he was going to trade Turner, but giving away for nothing? Not sure I buy that either. A #2/3, #4/5, maybe elite catcher, and an outfielder that’s probably a starter for us. 

I never wanted to trade Turner. He was my favorite Nat. It was so dumb. 

I’m glad you guys know about these prospects bc I know nothing about them and I don’t even understand what they mean when they’re explaining it on the radio or whatever.

What’s #2/3 or #3/4 mean? We definitely needed an upgrade in the outfield and at catcher, so that’s good.

15 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’m glad you guys know about these prospects bc I know nothing about them and I don’t even understand what they mean when they’re explaining it on the radio or whatever.

What’s #2/3 or #3/4 mean? We definitely needed an upgrade in the outfield and at catcher, so that’s good.

I think , those numbers are the minor league ranking of the prospect within the Boston Org . So #2 is their next to top prospect , etc. I think ?

Any perception that the Nats didn't get enough is shortsighted. We're talking about prospects. You have zero clue. We'll know three years from now. 

A good read from a great, analytical site. A couple quotes:

"Ruiz’s feel for contact is incredible. He’s a switch-hitter with a very controlled, smooth, short stroke from both sides. He’s run strikeout rates in the 8 to 12% range during his minor league career and he projects to have a 70-grade hit tool, which is almost unheard of for a catcher."

"Carrillo is a 40+ FV prospect (which basically means I think he’s an impact reliever, but not a closer) who has an upper-90s sinker, two good breaking balls (though the curve doesn’t play great because it’s easy for hitters to differentiate from the sinker), and a changeup that looked better the last time I saw him. The violence and effort in his delivery combined with his walk rates the last two years all point to the bullpen, but probably in a high-leverage role, and probably very soon."

"How does this package feel for a deal of this magnitude? I think it largely hinges on how great Ruiz becomes, but offhand I think it’s fine. A weak system got two top 100 prospects. Scherzer leaves a World Series and Hall of Fame legacy in his wake, but is a straight up rental here. And while giving up a year of Trea Turner stings, this move doesn’t preclude the Nationals from pursuing one of the free agent shortstops available this winter and having a better roster six months from now."

• Like 1

Aldo Ramirez (for Schwarber)...

"Ramirez is currently eighth in the SoxProspects Rankings, holding steady for the season, even though he is currently on the disabled list with right-elbow tendonitis. For the year, the 20-year-old Ramirez has a 2.03 ERA and 1.13 WHIP in 31 innings with Low-A Salem. He has 32 strikeouts and only 8 walks and opponents are hitting .221/.269/.311 against him.

Potential back-end starter. Ceiling of a mid-rotation starter. Very interesting young arm with a strong track record of performance in the low minors against age-advanced competition. Has advanced feel for his age and has a solid chance to remain a starter."

• Like 1

Daniel Hudson return.

RHP Mason Thompson - 

Thompson, 23, is the No. 9 prospect in San Diego’s Minor League system, according to MLBPipeline.com and No. 15 per Baseball America. He is 4-3 with a 5.34 ERA in 24 games for Triple-A El Paso this season. Thompson has recorded 25 strikeouts and allowed eight walks in 28.2 innings of work.

The 6-foot-7, 223-pound right-hander made his Major League debut on June 22 at Los Angeles (NL). He went on to make four appearances out of San Diego’s bullpen, allowing one earned run on four hits with two strikeouts and one walk in 3.0 innings pitched.

INF Jordy Barley - Barley, 21, hit .240 with eight doubles, two triples, eight homers, 28 RBI, 31 walks, 33 stolen bases and 43 runs scored in 61 games with Low-A Lake Elsinore this season. His 33 stolen bases led San Diego’s Minor League system and rank tied for eighth in all of Minor League Baseball.

The 6-foot, 175-pound infielder has hit .236 with 39 doubles, 16 triples, 24 home runs, 106 RBI, 79 walks, 66 stolen bases and 152 runs scored in 230 games across four professional seasons (2017-2021). In 2019, he led the Northwest League in triples (6th), ranked tied for second in hits (71), tied for third in runs scored (45), fourth in slugging percentage (.423), tied for fifth in home runs (8) and tied for sixth in OPS (.733).

Brad Hand trade:

C, Riley Adams - Adams ranked 20th among Jays prospects heading into the season over at MLB.com. He’s already been bumped to No. 15 among Nationals prospects over at FanGraphs, where Eric Longenhagen calls him a bat-first backup option behind the plate. Adams, listed at 6’4″ and 246 pounds, is quite large for a catcher, but the Jays have been committed to developing him there. He’s appeared in just one professional game at first base, where he logged only three innings. If Adams proves he’s capable of sticking behind the dish and providing passable defense, he’ll greatly outperform many of the more modest value projections most scouting reports have placed on him due to concerns over his size and glovework.

• Like 1

Here is an updated list of Nats' prospects. Surprised to see Cade Cavelli third!

In any case, the Nats went from having one top 100 prospect to three. 

After taking this all in, I like the trades. In a few years, you can easily have Gray and Cavelli as regular starters, with high upside, in the starting rotation... and Ruiz behind the dish. Nats will sign a good SS in the off-season. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

#2 or 3 starter and a back end starter

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Here is an updated list of Nats' prospects. Surprised to see Cade Cavelli third!

In any case, the Nats went from having one top 100 prospect to three. 

After taking this all in, I like the trades. In a few years, you can easily have Gray and Cavelli as regular starters, with high upside, in the starting rotation... and Ruiz behind the dish. Nats will sign a good SS in the off-season. 

Thanks for the breakdowns on the prospects, makes me feel better about the trades. I still wish we had gotten some young starter back in the trade - especially since we gave up Turner - wether a pitcher or position player but the prospects sound great too.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1