Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

10 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

I don't think/know if ANYONE is batting better than they did last season. Some of that MUST fall on the coaches.

Why?

Rendon is hitting about what he did last year.

Matt Adams is hitting what he did last year.

Mark Reynolds has exceeded what he hit last year.

Adam Eaton is hitting what he did last year.

Wilmer Difo has the same ISO he did last year, and is -4 off his wRC+ from last year.

Goodwin was hitting about the same as last year until he went on the DL.

Zimmerman was raking in May until he got hurt.

Taylor started off slow but then got back up to speed until Eaton came back and he started sitting on the bench more.

Trea Turner, Bryce Harper, and Daniel Murphy are the only ones really not hitting compared to last year. Turner's at least close, with taking more walks in exchange for fewer hits and less power. Harper is a train wreck. Murphy is coming of microfracture surgery on his knee.

So yea, what exactly is the coaches' fault?

13 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Well on that principle, if this team turns around, Davey gets NONE of the credit then. *shrug* 

Rarely does the manager get credit in the regular season. Do you really think Dusty deserves much credit for 2016 and 2017? The Nats were one of the most talented teams in baseball. Oh and Rizzo magically found Murphy.

Also, Dusty tried to get Brandon Phillips to come to DC. That alone should disqualify him from taking credit for the Nationals success.

20 hours ago, Slateman said:

Clearly. Because hes never thrown close to that many in a major league game. There's no way Dusty had him out on the mound throwing 112 pitches in a game before. That definitely didnt happen on August 27, 2017.

What does this have to do with Dusty? Martinez should’ve known better than a guy who’s most known for destroying young arms. 

I'm wondering why Hellickson was sick but still started if Rodriguez was available out of the pen. Management needs to be able to tell a player no when the player wants to play hurt. We can do it with Strasburg, why not anyone else?

21 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Kid gloves. Also, I'm not gonna tell Scherzer no ever, are you? :D

Scherzer ... probably not. When you win three Cy Young awards, you get to give the Manager your brown eye.

Helickson has a career 4.49 ERA and hasn't gotten past the fourth inning in over a month.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Slateman said:

I'm wondering why Hellickson was sick but still started if Rodriguez was available out of the pen. Management needs to be able to tell a player no when the player wants to play hurt. We can do it with Strasburg, why not anyone else?

Because the Nats have an inexperienced/bad manager.

Nationals need to do something about the rotation. Tanner Roark has been on a two year skid. Gio is basically a decent number 3, good number 4. Hellickson is a 5 that you probably should send to the pen. Fedde is on the DL and didn't seem to be ready anyway. Rodriguez is basically Blake Treinen.

Strasburg is due back after the All Star Break. He tends to be damn good coming off the DL. But the Nats really can't rely on Gio and Tanner any more, and Joe Ross isn't going to be back in the rotation until August, if at all. So I'd like to see the Nationals pick up someone.

They could get a rental. Matt Harvey, JA Happ, and Garrett Richards come to mind. Someone like that won't cost you a premium prospect, more along the lines of a Raudy Reed or Luis Garcia. I'd really like Richards, but I've always been a fan of his. Lots of strikeouts, but does issue a lot of walks. Still, he'd be fine as a number. Does have an injury history though. I'd like to trade for him and one of the Angels good relievers.

They could also think  long term, as Soto's emergence leaves them with a surplus of good outfielders, even after Harper leaves. Someone like Robles can lead a package for a top of the rotation guy. Someone like Chris Archer. This puts them in a good place with their rotation next season as well, which is something that Rizzo is going to have to think about, regardless of what happens this season.

• Like 1