Off-Topic: The WORLD CHAMPION Washington Nationals Thread

turtle28

2 hours ago, Slateman said:

I'm not sure how you can say Martinez isn't ready. I mean, what is he supposed to do with half a line up and one decent starting pitcher? He's having to manage the pen starting in the second inning. He's having to deal with two guys were expecting to hit .320, unable to get to the .250 mark. Oh and your two big bench bats are both out, one for the whole season.

That would be a totally acceptable excuse if this stuff wasn’t going on for most of the season. Even before Strasburg went out, they were struggling. You really think if Baker were managing this team still we wouldn’t have a better record? And I wasn’t very impressed by Baker either. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

That would be a totally acceptable excuse if this stuff wasn’t going on for most of the season. Even before Strasburg went out, they were struggling. You really think if Baker were managing this team still we wouldn’t have a better record? And I wasn’t very impressed by Baker either. 

It is possible they’d have about the same record. Let’s not forget there’s only so much the manager can control with the hitting of star players like a Harper and Trae Turner. Dusty had Murphy all year, he didn’t have a player like Soto emerge as a possible star, and he didn’t have their best bat off the bench tear his achillies - Howie Kendrick. Dusty also had a better catcher than Davey has.

So while, I’m not happy about the situation, I do not believe in getting rid of Davey before he even has one season.

As I’ve said before, the Nats have a bad history of firing, not retaining or having managers quit on them. They have been around for a 13 years and have had 18 managers. That’s a horrible look for The Lerner’s.

Thats far worse than Snyder’s track record his first 5 years as the Redskins owner.

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman
Nats have talked to the Reds. Matt Harvey and Raisel Iglesias are of interest to nats, who are seeking another starter. Multiple teams see Iglesias as possible starter.

Is this where the Nats go full retard?

9 minutes ago, Slateman said:

Jon Heyman@JonHeyman
Nats have talked to the Reds. Matt Harvey and Raisel Iglesias are of interest to nats, who are seeking another starter. Multiple teams see Iglesias as possible starter.

Is this where the Nats go full retard?

They've already gone full retard. I'm baffled by your optimism to be honest. No way this team should only be 1 game above .500

• Like 1

On 6/27/2018 at 5:38 PM, lavar703 said:

It’s only 1/2 the season... lol jk! Martinez has been a disaster so far and so has the Nats. I don’t know what’s up with Bryce  but he better fix whatever his issues are quick and in a hurry!

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It’s only 1/2 the season... lol jk! Martinez has been a disaster so far and so has the Nats. I don’t know what’s up with Bryce  but he better fix whatever his issues are quick and in a hurry!

On 4/16/2018 at 1:13 PM, Woz said:
On 4/15/2018 at 7:21 PM, MikeT14 said:

I think I was told to not panic about an extremely similar situation in 2015 too

You and me both. This has 2015 written all over it.

The silver lining view: 2015 was also an aberration of a year.

just sayin' ...

4 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

They've already gone full retard. I'm baffled by your optimism to be honest. No way this team should only be 1 game above .500

I agree. I think that any team that lost two .900+ OPS hitters and a 5 WAR pitcher would be under .500. That the Nats arent is a minor miracle.

The 2016 Dodgers were 8 games back with 77 left in the season. Last year's Cubs were under. 500 at the ASB. There are 18 games remaining against the Phillies and the Braves. The Nats arent remotely out of this.

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Exactly what has Martinez done that has been a disaster? Exactly which manager would have a better record if you took away two MVP candidates and a Cy Young candidate from their roster?

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Exactly what has Martinez done that has been a disaster? Exactly which manager would have a better record if you took away two MVP candidates and a Cy Young candidate from their roster?

Anyone with experience. Someone who knew not to meddle with people's swings that didn't need it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Slateman said:

Dusty Baker, he did so last year. People poo poo what Dusty did last year with a beaten up roster and a worse bullpen like it was nothing. I don’t know how you can defend Martinez other than his youth. 

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

Dusty Baker, he did so last year. People poo poo what Dusty did last year with a beaten up roster and a worse bullpen like it was nothing. I don’t know how you can defend Martinez other than his youth. 

The roster wasnt beaten up last year at all.

Murphy and Zimmerman both played over 140 games and mashed. Strasburg has already missed more starts than he did last year. Baker had a .900+ bench bat  in Adam Lind that was available the whole season. Then he got Howie. 

If you're blaming Martinez for any of this, you dont understand baseball at all.

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

You're saying this team isn't better than the Braves or Phillies if you just remove Strasburg and Murphy? We're in bigger trouble than I thought.

And Zimmerman. And Adam's. And Howie. And Wieters. And Hellickson.

Again, you find me a team that can survive losing two .900+, OPS bats, both of its bench bats (who could start on 25 teams), their number 2 starter, their number 5 starter, and their starting catcher. 

You tell me what team can survive that. You tell me what manager would have them on a .600 win pace with that roster.