You are on the clock

Alex

You are on the clock: defensive backs  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Top three cornerbacks: Greedy Williams, DeAndre Baker, and Byron Murphy have been selected, you only can pick one and can't trade down. Who do you choose?

• Jonathan Abram, SS, Miss State (+ tackling, - coverage spacing)
    • Trayvon Mullen, CB, Clemson (+ all coverages, - raw)
    • Nasir Adderley, FS, Delaware (+ zone, = man)
    • Amani Oruwariye, CB, Penn State (+ physicality, - speed)
    • Taylor Rapp, S, Washington. (+ tackling, - field awareness)

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Adderley and it is not even close. no one on your list is a 1st round talent other than Adderley.

first site i looked up had amani at #29

i dont see where drafting a safety helps us more than drafting a cb

I know, guys- while picking at #17 means we have a good chance to get somebody we want, aka Greedy Williams, DeAndre Baker, or Byron Murphy or other positions, I wanted to entertain the idea if they are actually gone like last year, so we reached, but maybe not quite reaching as it would be last year. I'm going to EDGE/ILB next. I think after the polls, we will see how things are unfolded, it's going to be entertaining.

Here's my outlook on each individual and the issue they present:

Jonathan Abram who I would love to have if it wasn't for Edmunds. He still could be a hybrid S/CB/ILB in packages. Looked into his numbers, I'm not saying he's the next Troy Polamalu, but both have very similar triangle numbers and does have a similar draft profile. 

Trayvon Mullen, I think he will be good but he's still a project. We don't have that luxury.

Nasir Adderley, oh boy I actually like him a lot. I think he's an ideal free safety for us, but it'd mean the end of Sean Davis era, which is frustrating. 

Amani Oruwariye, I like everything about him except for his long speed. Playing as a Nickel may make more sense, could work too.

Taylor Rapp- I actually saw a lot of Sean Davis in him. I think he's a good prospect who would struggle to find his position in the NFL. Kind of same as Sean Davis. 

Ultimately, drafting a safety help much as a cornerback, after all, we are talking about the coverage and if there's a really good prospect, a safety can really help you as well. 

On 3/1/2019 at 2:16 PM, Chieferific said:

Any reason why Thompson is left off the list? Just curious as some (may be even most) have him rated higher then Adderly. 

His stock reportedly is at between 2nd and 3rd days as a prospect now, scouts claimed they were disappointed with him. Said he didn't do anything, didn't shown he was a playmaker.

On 3/1/2019 at 12:51 PM, Magnus-Viktor said:

Of that list, it's Mullens in a landslide for me.  If I'm going S, it's going to be Chauncey Gardner-Johnson. 

I thought about adding him, but see that he's definitely a day 2 prospect. 

Why are only DBs on the list?   I guarantee if there is value at other positions of need, the Steelers will go another direction.   I honestly dont expect them to go DB this year in the first round unless its someone they are really high on.

On 3/1/2019 at 10:44 AM, Alex said:

I know, guys- while picking at #17 means we have a good chance to get somebody we want, aka Greedy Williams, DeAndre Baker, or Byron Murphy or other positions, I wanted to entertain the idea if they are actually gone like last year, so we reached, but maybe not quite reaching as it would be last year. I'm going to EDGE/ILB next. I think after the polls, we will see how things are unfolded, it's going to be entertaining.

I believe that we are actually picking at #20 in the first round. 

Here's my outlook on each individual and the issue they present:

Jonathan Abram who I would love to have if it wasn't for Edmunds. He still could be a hybrid S/CB/ILB in packages. Looked into his numbers, I'm not saying he's the next Troy Polamalu, but both have very similar triangle numbers and does have a similar draft profile. 

Trayvon Mullen, I think he will be good but he's still a project. We don't have that luxury.

Nasir Adderley, oh boy I actually like him a lot. I think he's an ideal free safety for us, but it'd mean the end of Sean Davis era, which is frustrating. 

Amani Oruwariye, I like everything about him except for his long speed. Playing as a Nickel may make more sense, could work too.

Taylor Rapp- I actually saw a lot of Sean Davis in him. I think he's a good prospect who would struggle to find his position in the NFL. Kind of same as Sean Davis. 

Ultimately, drafting a safety help much as a cornerback, after all, we are talking about the coverage and if there's a really good prospect, a safety can really help you as well. 

I don't think it is wise to lock in on a position of need and pass on other talent if that or those positions of need are not there. While the Steelers did not reach on an ILB last year in round one, they certainly over-drafted Terrell Edmunds. I do think he will be a good one and someone might have over-drafted him after us and struck gold as the Colts did Darius Leonard, whom I also had a third round grade on.  They probably would not have been able to get him in round three. If you really, really like a player, many teams will take him. However, I would argue that it may have been wiser for the steelers to draft Mike Hughes, Josh Jackson, Jessie Bates, Sony Michael or Christian Kirk whom I had higher draft grades on than both Leonard and Edmunds (both of whom I liked as potential Steelers pre draft).

I also remember the Steelers needing a WR and they reached and took Troy Edwards after David Boston and Tory Holt were selected in the WR weak 1999 draft.  The Steelers passed on Jeavon Kearse, Damien Woody, Anthony Booger McFarland, Antoine Winfield, and Patrick Kerney in the first round to reach for Edwards at #13.  Kevin Johnson, Peerless Price,  and Marty Booker all had better careers than Edwards.   

As far as Sean Davis is concerned his play has been erratic.  He has been used as a Swiss Army Knife in the secondary, and that has not done him or the team much good "long term" thus far. If he could have settled at SS or FS early, I think there is more consistency.  He also is in better communication with the secondary and knows a position.  He played a solid game against the Patriots and had some ups and downs against the Saints, so you can see some flashes and flaws like against the Chargers.  He is right now in a make or break year in my eyes.  He has to step up as Hargraves did this past year, or the possibility of being replaced will exist. I wouldn't reach for a first round safety, but at the same time if I have a highly rated safety in any round of the draft on my board, I would take him. 

With what the Steelers are doing more and more of defensively, you need three solid safeties.  In a perfect world, a true FS who can play center-field, a SS with coverage skills, and an in the box type who can blitz and stuff the run.  We also have other positions of need. My solution has been to get a solid veteran like Tre Boston in free agency to solidify the position. He can mentor both Davis and Edmunds and offers the Steelers what they need to run their exotic three safety defenses.

It is old and cliche', but take the BPA. It may not be great at the moment, but it may help in the event of an injury or next year.

Archived