Chiefs officially cut Justin Houston

RaidersAreOne

5 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Smh bruh we sign all the ex chiefs. Hudson was first and we paid him good. Houston is next. He can be our defensive Hudson.

Speaking of the Raiders, Gruden needs to continue his cleansing of the Raiders by releasing Osemele or does he only get rid of young talent?

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Speaking of the Raiders, Gruden needs to continue his cleansing of the Raiders by releasing Osemele or does he only get rid of young talent?

Osemele is pretty young for an OG in his prime. I think he'll be sticking around.

4 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Wouldn't shock me if he was released tbh. He is getting paid top dollar and has under performed/had some injury issues the past 2 seasons. Still a good G but really not a vital staple imo.

15 minutes ago, brownie man said:

John Dorsey drafted him 

go get yo boy back JD!!! 

Veteran pass rushing presence let’s go!!!!

I believe Scott Pioli drafted him.  Wouldn’t shock me at all to see him wind up in Atlanta.  Pioli and Georgia connection.

Sad to see him go, still has a few good years left.  Guessing a 5th/6th wasn’t enough to trade a respected piece in the locker room, release him and let him pick.

2 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I hate this. You don't just cut your second best defensive player.

You do if he's not going to renegotiate that deal. The have limited cap space. I bet they really wish now they didn't give all that money to Watkins. 

1 minute ago, LeotheLion said:

You do if he's not going to renegotiate that deal. The have limited cap space. I bet they really wish now they didn't give all that money to Watkins. 

Last year Veach didn't even ask DJ to take a pay cut. DJ said afterwards that he would have accepted one to stay in KC. I can only hope that Veach didn't do that in back to back seasons.

While the Chiefs have about 9mil (post Ford franchise tag, top 51), they could cut less impactful players to free up some space. This is assuming that Houston wouldn't restructure his deal, which could potentially add another 7mil or so if they did. Cut Sorenson, Henne, and Murray and you get another 6+mil.

Really it comes down to the absolutely bad deal Veach did for Watkins. Thankfully we can get out of that deal next year.

36 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

Last year Veach didn't even ask DJ to take a pay cut. DJ said afterwards that he would have accepted one to stay in KC. I can only hope that Veach didn't do that in back to back seasons.

While the Chiefs have about 9mil (post Ford franchise tag, top 51), they could cut less impactful players to free up some space. This is assuming that Houston wouldn't restructure his deal, which could potentially add another 7mil or so if they did. Cut Sorenson, Henne, and Murray and you get another 6+mil.

Really it comes down to the absolutely bad deal Veach did for Watkins. Thankfully we can get out of that deal next year.

I think the difference is DJ wasn’t a plus player anymore. 

1 minute ago, samsel23 said:

I think the difference is DJ wasn’t a plus player anymore. 

I'd argue that he would've been as good as Hitchens and likely better than Smith. I don't think DJ was still an every down guy. But he would've been good depth at a reduced rate.

Archived