Washington Free Agency 2019

lavar703

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Pretty old reference there buddy.

Falls in the classic reference category. We had this debate as to whether other "newer" (but old) references qualified as classic. As I recall, Wedding Crashers qualified, but others were still uncertain of status.

Just now, Woz said:

Nick Foles just got a somewhat similar contract.

Is Collins' contract on the bottom end of the QB scale? Yes. But it's still on the QB scale.

How are they similar? Seriously, not being a smart *** here Woz because Foles just got $88M for 4 years. 

16 hours ago, Woz said:
  1. Landon Collins is nowhere close to Sean Taylor.
  2. No one is like Sean Taylor. Conjuring him as a comp is just fool's gold.
  3. Sean Taylor could actually cover and play center field.

No safety, perhaps not even Sean Taylor, is worth a contract that is comparable to what quarterbacks get. The position is not as valuable. No, it isn't fungible like it is for running backs, but it doesn't have the same impact on the game.

Agree to Disagree. There is more than likely 50-100 none H.O.F. QBs drafted after Taylor that would never be Hall of Famers at thier position, but Taylor definitely would've been one at his. So you may agree to paying just because of the position, I consider what a player is doing on the field more so. 

Just now, MKnight82 said:
Just now, lavar703 said:

How are they similar? Seriously, not being a smart *** here Woz because Foles just got $88M for 4 years. 

Only $5 mil difference in guaranteed money.  

What MK said.

Also, while I realize total value of contracts are magic numbers, getting $4M less in total value is also puts him the ball park of Foles.

If you want another QB comp, Dalton got $16M AAV vs. Collins $14M AAV. Granted, Dalton's contract was under market value when he signed but that's also the scale of QBs.

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Agree to Disagree. There is more than likely 50-100 none H.O.F. QBs drafted after Taylor that would never be Hall of Famers at thier position, but Taylor definitely would've been one at his. So you pay because of position not by what a individual player can do.

And if we were paying $84M to resurrect Sean Taylor in his prime, so be it.

We.
Aren't.
Getting.
Sean.
Taylor.

1 minute ago, Skins212689 said:

Agree to Disagree. There is more than likely 50-100 none H.O.F. QBs drafted after Taylor that would never be Hall of Famers at thier position, but Taylor definitely would've been one at his. So you pay because of position not by what a individual player can do.

But Collins doesn't play an important position!  Pay a pass rusher this!  Pay a #1 corner this!  

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

And while true ... Collins is not that guy.

It's not really fair to Collins to keep bringing up Taylor or Ed Reed. Those comps are way too high for him to make.

Nope FS for us and Pittsburgh when Polomolu and here for ST

Just now, lavar703 said:

Like Preston Smith? ****ducks while Knight throws things at me

While I wouldn't agree with spending that kind of money on Smith, at least it would have been sensible since edge rusher is the third highest paid position.

7 minutes ago, Woz said:

And while true ... Collins is not that guy.

It's not really fair to Collins to keep bringing up Taylor or Ed Reed. Those comps are way too high for him to make.

I'm not saying Collins is them, but I am saying he makes this defense better. Individually at his position he is better than the QBs we have and some in the league, but because he's not a QB your saying he shouldn't get his money. I totally disagred with that. Ravens defense carried them for years, so why would their highest paid player not be on the Defense? 

Just now, Skins212689 said:

Individually at his position he is better than the QBs we have

That's what we call "a low bar to clear." Also, one of the QBs they have on the roster (Keenum) wouldn't be on the roster if it weren't for a catastrophic injury to one of the other QBs on the roster (Smith).

For QBs that actually will take a snap this season (including any rookie QB), Collins' cap number will almost assuredly exceed them. Combined.

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

This is #1 corner money.  He's now the fifth highest paid DB, on top of being the highest paid safety.  

Comp: Josh Norman

5 yr, $75M ($15M AAV), $36.5M guaranteed at signing, $50M total guarantees

Archived