Browns trade Kevin Zeitler for Olivier Vernon

ReggieCamp

1 minute ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Meh, trading one good player for another.

Zeitler is better at G than Vernon is at DE imo, but DE is a more impactful position.

If there are no picks involved I like this deal.

I do not agree with this. I was hoping for a better DE and possibly a younger DE but Kevin Zeitler  had his struggles and I have brought them up before. I think they are very equivalent in talent per their respective position. 19.5 mil for Olivier though its a concern. I have a feeling he is a one year rental. 

14 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Where are you getting your numbers? His cap hit is 19.5 million in 2019 and 2020.

Spotrac.....since he was on their roster after the 5th day of 2018 season, his guarantees are fully guaranteed to the Giants.

Edited as I was trying to read fast. I apologize.  If you subtract the guaranteed money from his per year salary as they're intertwined.....$11 mil this year, and $15 mil next.....0 dead cap

Vernon is a lot better than Ogbah, but Dorsey didn't want to be up under that large contract for Zeitler which is fine. Watching Giants games last year, I can say for certain, he always showed up and flashed while watching the defense. Plus I heard we swapped picks in the 4th and went from 155 to 132, it'll do

I don't think this precludes us from drafting a DE early. Vernon has had some injury concerns and likely isn't a long-term option. He's just good enough that we could possibly wait until a later round to draft a more developmental type of DE (like when Dorsey drafted a raw prospect in Dee Ford).

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

I don't think this precludes us from drafting a DE early. Vernon has had some injury concerns and likely isn't a long-term option. He's just good enough that we could possibly wait until a later round to draft a more developmental type of DE (like when Dorsey drafted a raw prospect in Dee Ford).

I agree. Given the age, contract, depth at DE, this does nothing to deter moves there IMO. 

1 minute ago, DawgX said:

That very well could be the case - getting rid of Zeitler to play the guy he drafted. Sounds similar to what he did in cutting Nassib since he drafted Chad Thomas. Difference is, I have a lot more faith in Corbett than I ever did in Chad Thomas.

I have no idea what went on with Chad Thomas as a rookie and getting no playing time but I do know his college tape was great. I had never watched him at the time of the pick and was thinking about complaining but then I remembered the time everyone blew up about T.J. Ward bc they didn't know his tape. I didn't want to be that idiot so I watched Chad Thomas and I was extremely impressed. He's a very powerful dude and turns the corner pretty well for his size. I would take him over his ex teammate Joe Jackson in this draft in a heartbeat and that dude is getting R2 love.

You know another mid round DE who only took 4 snaps as a rookie? Trey Flowers. I think Chad Thomas could very well do the same thing.

4 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I have no idea what went on with Chad Thomas as a rookie and getting no playing time but I do know his college tape was great. I had never watched him at the time of the pick and was thinking about complaining but then I remembered the time everyone blew up about T.J. Ward bc they didn't know his tape. I didn't want to be that idiot so I watched Chad Thomas and I was extremely impressed. He's a very powerful dude and turns the corner pretty well for his size. I would take him over his ex teammate Joe Jackson in this draft in a heartbeat and that dude is getting R2 love.

You know another mid round DE who only took 4 snaps as a rookie? Trey Flowers. I think Chad Thomas could very well do the same thing.

I hope you're right. And I'm not one to typically write off a player after one season - I just didn't get the pick from the start. Truly the one draft pick that I disliked last year (I was pretty "meh" on the Corbett selection). However, Dorsey has made far more good moves than bad ones so far, so I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt in that he sees something in Thomas.

1 minute ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not a Vernon fan either tho. I don’t want to mess with bakers protection. 

He’s a pretty decent starter and reasonably capable pass rusher who’s gonna get the benefit of playing opposite Garrett.

He’s a good player, overpaid.  Luckily the Giants are eating a lot of that salary.

He’s a pretty decent starter and reasonably capable pass rusher who’s gonna get the benefit of playing opposite Garrett.

He’s a good player, overpaid.  Luckily the Giants are eating a lot of that salary.

We'll pay him 11+ this year.

Zeitler had a big contract with us also. I’m wondering if we’re eating a chunk of that as an offset or if we’re just coming out breaking even there. 

If Corbett is really good we have to look at

Is the 33rd pick and our 5gh worth Vernon and a 4th?

that's really what is boils down to 

I'd say so I like Vernon back in a 43

but man it pisses me off on the Chad Thomas pick now. Like I said when we picked him and Corbett I just dont get it

Archived