Bengals Re-sign CJ Uzomah

49erurtaza

2 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We overpaid Uzomah by a ton. He's a great human being but not really an NFL starting TE.  He should be getting backup TE money, like 1.5-2 mil per year.

I don't agree.  He's a + receiver, and a decent enough blocker.  He's improved quite a bit since his rookie year, and has shown flashes of athleticism that make you think he can get better still.

He was the #1 TE for about 3/4 (maybe less) of the season last year.  Had over 400 yards, 3 TD's.  Given a full year with first team reps, i can see him posting a 600 yard, 5-7 TD line in 2019.  

Also, i think he would have gotten this deal elsewhere, if not from the Bengals.  So by definition, it wasn't an overpay.

9 minutes ago, sparky151 said:

We overpaid Uzomah by a ton. He's a great human being but not really an NFL starting TE.  He should be getting backup TE money, like 1.5-2 mil per year.

That's not starter TE money. He's being paid as a high-end backup. Jesse James and Nick Boyle just got the same deal.

Just now, SmittyBacall said:

That's not starter TE money. He's being paid as a high-end backup. Jesse James and Nick Boyle just got the same deal.

I think we'll find that he ends up starting.

I think the message this sends is that they're comfortable with him as the #1 TE, but that if someone comes along in the draft they like, they won't hesitate.

They won't be signing another TE in FA (to big money anyway).

Archived