Bears sign Mike Davis

beardown3231

4 hours ago, WindyCity said:

I am not sure Montgomery has the testing numbers and explosion numbers.

KC had some pretty clear measurable targets for the RBs they picked up. Montgomery seems to have the same problem has Howard, no real 2nd gear.

I don't think a 2nd gear is the difference...guys like Ware & Williams don't really offer that...I think the reason Howard isn't a fit is that he doesn't have short area quickness...his feet just aren't quick enough to make a defender miss him in the hole...that is what separates Howard from those guys and as much as Montgomery doesn't have breakaway speed his feet are incredibly quick.   

19 minutes ago, Madmike90 said:

I don't think a 2nd gear is the difference...guys like Ware & Williams don't really offer that...I think the reason Howard isn't a fit is that he doesn't have short area quickness...his feet just aren't quick enough to make a defender miss him in the hole...that is what separates Howard from those guys and as much as Montgomery doesn't have breakaway speed his feet are incredibly quick.   

Yeah, Howard is strictly a one cut zone style back who has excellent vision and good decision making to along with his power but that'll only take you so far and as the mileage piles up if he loses even just a tiny bit his his initial quickness or the gaps aren't there he can't produce the way a niftier back can.

As much as he was a good fit for "ground" Fox he's not the ideal back for "air" Nagy but if we can't trade him he can still be useful.  We still play outdoors, on grass, in a northern clime and at home late in the seasons is where he'd be most useful as a grinder and scorer.  In warmer weather if we can get a safe lead he's the guy we bring in to pound the ball and chew up clock time.

IMHO if we can't trade him we can still get $2 mil worth of production and scoring from him but Davis and Cohen will both have to play bigger roles in the running game and Davis as a receiving back as well.

For Howard's sake it would be best if we could trade him to a team who has gadget and receiving backs but lack a grinder like Howard who can run hard for 15-20 carries a game and wear down defenses.

2 hours ago, G08 said:

Bryce Love makes sense if he has clean medicals... had surgery in December and said his time-table has him being ready by mid Training Camp (I think that's a bit aggressive).

Bruce Anderson wasn't invited to the combine but I'm curious to see how he performs at his Pro Day.

I want Love in the 5th. Take a swing and run a RBC and if that isn't good enough then draft one higher in 2020

5 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I want Love in the 5th. Take a swing and run a RBC and if that isn't good enough then draft one higher in 2020

You can keep Howard around and work Mike Davis into his reps while this kid gets himself healthy. I think Todd Gurley missed 10.5 months between surgery and his first NFL game so that would put Love in line to play by early November.

1 minute ago, G08 said:

You can keep Howard around and work Mike Davis into his reps while this kid gets himself healthy. I think Todd Gurley missed 10.5 months between surgery and his first NFL game so that would put Love in line to play by early November.

Right, and if Howard is running well, maybe they can trade him then. Good point on the timeline.

11 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

Right, and if Howard is running well, maybe they can trade him then. Good point on the timeline.

Howard has 100+ yard game and looks really good, like 1st year Howard, ups his trade value. 

Bears trade and watch the criticism come in even though a minute ago they all wanted the trade. 

18 minutes ago, beardown3231 said:

I'm watching highlights on Bryce Love right now and this dude is lightning in a bottle. If his medicals are clean I'm good with burning a 4th round pick on him. A+ character to boot as well from what I've gathered (wants to be a pediatrician once his football career ends, so he's got some smarts to him as well).

19 minutes ago, G08 said:

Yep.  And it is for a MUCH lower investment. I was the one wanting to trade up to 30-32 to draft Jaylon Smith so we had the 5th year option so he could recover the first year. I'd be fine to let Love redshift even. 3 years of potential talent for a 5rh or whatever is a plus to me. Lol

• 4 of the 5 were below the average height, meaning they were 5’10” or shorter (the 5th was 5’11”)
  • 4 of the 5 were above the average weight of 214 pounds
  • 4 of the 4 measured (the 5th doesn’t have a reported time) had an average or faster first 10 yards of the 40 yard dash (1.59 seconds or less)
  • 4 of the 5 had an above-average vertical jump (35″ or more)
  • 5 of the 5 had an above-average broad jump (118″ or more)

15 minutes ago, WindyCity said:
  • 4 of the 5 were below the average height, meaning they were 5’10” or shorter (the 5th was 5’11”)
  • 4 of the 5 were above the average weight of 214 pounds
  • 4 of the 4 measured (the 5th doesn’t have a reported time) had an average or faster first 10 yards of the 40 yard dash (1.59 seconds or less)
  • 4 of the 5 had an above-average vertical jump (35″ or more)
  • 5 of the 5 had an above-average broad jump (118″ or more)

@soulman posted this entire concept last month 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Howard has 100+ yard game and looks really good, like 1st year Howard, ups his trade value. 

Bears trade and watch the criticism come in even though a minute ago they all wanted the trade. 

Some Bears fans tend to be like crabby ex-wives.  Nothing will make them happy.  9_9

11 hours ago, HuskieBear said:

Devine Ozigbo, Bryce Love, or Trayveon Williams are who I'm liking for us in rounds 3-5, outside of some of the more top tier guys montgomery/henderson/singletary

The Bears’ RB position is a unique one because if Davis is being looked at as a potential 200+ carry back then are we adding a guy to complement that, or a guy to compete with him right away for that role? At least for now we still have Howard too and while I don’t expect that we will come September at least for now his presence adds another layer to this situation with a lot of variables. To me it’s more likely they’re looking for someone to push Davis because Cohen is already in a complementary role and as a RB and should never be more than that, and if that’s so Pace may not be looking to invest his top pick in the draft with it being this late in the draft in a player who is maybe not going to have a role at all in 2019. To me that puts us more in the Ozigbo or Holyfield draft slot area around the 5th or so than it does the Montgomery window, which is fine with me because I like both of them. I could see Damien Harris as a fit too as a guy who’s good at most things but not really great at any of them. He seems to me like the kind of back who’s useful quickly but who tends to slide on draft weekend. 

I think Davis eats into Howards carries if Howard stays.  David has much better hands even though he isn't a receiver type. 

I think Bears/Pace are still looking for a 210+ speed back with hands that can run routes if needed.  This draft or the next.  

Patterson actually fills that role to some extent so Pace doesn't feel like he has to have that guy this year if someone else takes his guy.

Archived