2019 Free Agency V2

SBXISBXVSBXVIII

3 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I guess we can put that spin on it but compared to Lee Smith and Cook last year who were both very valuable role players this years TE roster looks scarily weak to me. Iron sharpens iron is the old saying but I can't honestly see a starting calibre TE on the roster at this point to 'sharpen' the other options against. Maybe I'm in the minority but I guess I'd rather have a proven commodity than just hopes and dreams on players who've never amounted to much.

Willson has started 45 games in his career. He's not a receiving threat like Cook but he's a decent blocker who can provide more as a receiver than Smith. Waller and Swoope will compete for the receiving TE role but with an improved WR group, they won't be getting the targets Cook got last season. Moreau will learn behind Willson. As far as receiving production , this isn't a group you'll get huge numbers from but that's not what this offense is about.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Darbsk said:

I guess we can put that spin on it but compared to Lee Smith and Cook last year who were both very valuable role players this years TE roster looks scarily weak to me. Iron sharpens iron is the old saying but I can't honestly see a starting calibre TE on the roster at this point to 'sharpen' the other options against. Maybe I'm in the minority but I guess I'd rather have a proven commodity than just hopes and dreams on players who've never amounted to much.

It's the nature of football sometimes you have to develop guy's and let them step up and prove themselves Patriots do this all the time.

On 5/24/2019 at 4:50 AM, Darbsk said:

I think a guy like Allen Bailey could be worth bringing in as a big bodied run stopper at strong side DE with a little pass rush, always liked his play at the Chiefs and Ethan Westbrooks looked promising a few years back not sure what happened to him. Wilkerson looked done and checked out to me and I'm surprised we haven't brought Kony Ealy in if even for camp. 

I don't think many of these would actually make our team and I guess the coaches feel the same at this point.

I think a guard and DE signed at this point would have a really good shot at making the team. couple guards who have started in this league 

9 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

With the Richie signing, I just want to see one more vet DE for competition... idk why Mauro is a lock without vet competition 

Who said he was a lock. He is the starter in camp. No vet we sign now is gonna be any better than the guys we have on the roster currently.

People out there are Michael Johnson, Derrick Shelby, Kony Ealy, Jihad Ward, Damontre Moore, Frostee Rucker and Dion Jordan. No real production there. I could see Johnson being a fit because he know PG and could help the young guys learn but is that the guy we want to rely on in the season?

Unless some surprising gets cut I think this is what we are rolling with.

42 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

Who said he was a lock. He is the starter in camp. No vet we sign now is gonna be any better than the guys we have on the roster currently.

People out there are Michael Johnson, Derrick Shelby, Kony Ealy, Jihad Ward, Damontre Moore, Frostee Rucker and Dion Jordan. No real production there. I could see Johnson being a fit because he know PG and could help the young guys learn but is that the guy we want to rely on in the season?

Unless some surprising gets cut I think this is what we are rolling with.

Yes at this point we wouldn’t be adding an all pro DE, but would be nice to add competition since the unit is so weak. Reason why I would like a vet challenger is because Mauro ceiling is a run stopper DE with no pass rush ability.... our team was dead last in sacks by a large margin... if we could find a vet who atleast can be in rotation or start with potential of 4-6 sacks that would sadly be an instant upgrade... people might say we have Mayowa but he is a rotation guy, we should have 4-5 guys like that. Signing another vet would provide competition and takes pressure off youth like Key, Bell, and Mad Max... couple guys who are worth a look 

Derrick Morgan- surprised he is still out there. Former top 10 pick has always produced except last year. Worth a look, Ferrell is compared to him on nfl.com. Steady vet 

Allen Bailey- coming off a great year, stout vs run and actually offers pass rush potential 

Nick Perry- 

Kony Ealy- didn’t do much last year but still has potential 

Andre Branch- cut due to money... stout vs run and has resume of getting to QB

Dominque Easley- former DT converted to LB due to his athletic ability. Former first round pick who was hurt last year. Could settle in as a base end and provide pass rush, still have potential 

Williams Haynes- injured last year, but is a good overall DE when he plays. Older but could be a nice stopgap 

Ethan Westbrooks- lost in the shuffle on a good rams defense, has shown the ability to rush the QB

Michael Johnson- knows the system, had a down year. Over his career has been a good overall DE against run and pass 

Muhammed Wilkerson-  down year ending up injured but is a whale of a man. Could be force against the run at DE

6 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Yes at this point we wouldn’t be adding an all pro DE, but would be nice to add competition since the unit is so weak. Reason why I would like a vet challenger is because Mauro ceiling is a run stopper DE with no pass rush ability.... our team was dead last in sacks by a large margin... if we could find a vet who atleast can be in rotation or start with potential of 4-6 sacks that would sadly be an instant upgrade... people might say we have Mayowa but he is a rotation guy, we should have 4-5 guys like that. Signing another vet would provide competition and takes pressure off youth like Key, Bell, and Mad Max... couple guys who are worth a look 

Derrick Morgan- surprised he is still out there. Former top 10 pick has always produced except last year. Worth a look, Ferrell is compared to him on nfl.com. Steady vet 

Allen Bailey- coming off a great year, stout vs run and actually offers pass rush potential 

Nick Perry- 

Kony Ealy- didn’t do much last year but still has potential 

Andre Branch- cut due to money... stout vs run and has resume of getting to QB

Dominque Easley- former DT converted to LB due to his athletic ability. Former first round pick who was hurt last year. Could settle in as a base end and provide pass rush, still have potential 

Williams Haynes- injured last year, but is a good overall DE when he plays. Older but could be a nice stopgap 

Ethan Westbrooks- lost in the shuffle on a good rams defense, has shown the ability to rush the QB

Michael Johnson- knows the system, had a down year. Over his career has been a good overall DE against run and pass 

Muhammed Wilkerson-  down year ending up injured but is a whale of a man. Could be force against the run at DE

Yeah, none of those guys will move the needle imo besides Bailey and he is driving up his price with the Pats, Panthers and Hawks.

On 5/24/2019 at 8:35 AM, oakdb36 said:

Willson has started 45 games in his career. He's not a receiving threat like Cook but he's a decent blocker who can provide more as a receiver than Smith. Waller and Swoope will compete for the receiving TE role but with an improved WR group, they won't be getting the targets Cook got last season. Moreau will learn behind Willson. As far as receiving production , this isn't a group you'll get huge numbers from but that's not what this offense is about.

Yup. Our WR group is legit and we have 3 RB's that can catch the ball so we should see a lot less TE targets than we did last season. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, agarcia34 said:

Remember when Cooper and other OG came out that year and both were cant miss sure fire picks and if im not mistaken both went top 10 and both were terrible. 

Chance Warmack and Jonathan Cooper. Both were supposed to change the OG position for years to come. Both busted HARD!