Google officially entering gaming business with cloud gaming

rob_shadows

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/google-stadia-cloud-gaming-platform-is-a-new-much-/1100-6465673/

They are launching a cloud gaming platform that's supposed to be available across all devices (TVs, cellphones, tablets, PCs, etc...) Allegedly allowing you to stream a game at 4k 60fps at launch with plans to support 8k up to 120fps in the future.

They are also creating their own development studio to create content exclusive to the platform.

Personally I'm highly skeptical... I'd imagine Streaming a game from the cloud in high quality requires some serious bandwidth... And many people still don't have the kind of connection speeds that will be required. Sure you'll probably be fine if you live in a major metro area but for those of us living in rural areas I highly doubt this will actually work.

I honestly think this will flop insanely hard. America's pathetic broadband infrastructure will stand in the way. Just read the average internet downspeed in the US is under 20mbps. On top of that, many ISPs still impose data caps. This kind of game streaming can lead to average downloads of maybe 20gb per hour. Is Google considering the amount of people willing to incur fees for data cap overages?

And yet another issue. I have Verizon FiOS gigabit internet. My speeds are always blazing (around 150mbps on mobile, usually over 300mbps on my Xbox, usually no slowdowns). I have no data cap. I am their target market, and I have literally ZERO interest in Stadia. I know of others like myself. How do they entice people like me? The ones with the great internet service and no data cap, who are the minority in this country?

I just don't see how this plan works long term.

3 hours ago, titansNvolsR#1 said:

Yeah. This thing is going to bomb. Shall go the way of the Google+ and Glass. 

Short of Verizon, Comcast, Cox and other major ISPs suddenly deciding to invest hundreds of millions in to their crappy infrastructures, ditching data caps, and dropping prices all at the same time...yeah. I agree.

2 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Isn't Fiber already folding?

Not folding just expanding availability very slowly... Demand for fiber connections is high, just about everyone I know would gladly pay the higher prices it tends to cost if it were available, but because of the high initial cost to ISPs of replacing existing lines with fiber they aren't exactly in any hurry.

25 minutes ago, rob_shadows said:

Not folding just expanding availability very slowly... Demand for fiber connections is high, just about everyone I know would gladly pay the higher prices it tends to cost if it were available, but because of the high initial cost to ISPs of replacing existing lines with fiber they aren't exactly in any hurry.

Yeah, and they've already said that there are some areas where they will simply never enter. It's unfortunate. My city (Las Vegas) is one they have mentioned by name that they will never (or are highly unlikely to) expand to, which completely sucks. 

This is a great idea if they can deliver, but the infrastructure isn't there. I'm all for digital games but ones you can own not on a subscription service (that's not official but how are else are they gonna get people to buy in?) 

3 hours ago, navysaintsfan said:

Short of Verizon, Comcast, Cox and other major ISPs suddenly deciding to invest hundreds of millions in to their crappy infrastructures, ditching data caps, and dropping prices all at the same time...yeah. I agree.

Apple, Microsoft, Amazon and Facebook all have MAJOR privately funded fiberoptic networks being constructed.  Verizon, Comcast and Cox will either have to adapt or die. 

Cloud based processing power is the future, video games is just the start.  Think about it, platforms like Spotify wiped out the CD music industry.  Companies like Dell computers could become obsolete overnight when all you need is a screen and fiberoptic connect to run software like Microsoft Office.  

You guys have to remember, there is more to this world than just the United States.  This service won't really be great here since the average person's internet speed is terrible.  But there are certain cities that have pulled together and brought some amazing internet to their part of the country.  The people of Cedar Falls, Iowa have come together and got faster broadband.  Internet speeds there are on par with some of the fastest speeds on earth.  There are other cities in the United States that have done this, Cedar Falls is just one example.

But this could really be a good thing in other countries.  For example, Seoul, South Korea might have the fastest internet speeds in the world on a person-per-person basis on average.  This streaming service might really take off there.

Archived