NFL News & General Info Thread

Kiltman

On 4/20/2018 at 6:39 PM, ninjapirate said:

Probably also makes the him more desirable to trade for with the option for 2019. 

Yeah. 

I dont think this new deal is in any way some sort of "sign" that the team is concerned about Wentz. Its not. 

Its about two things. And the fact that Howie is smart enough to just come up with this deal like he did is kind of remarkable. 

But we basically were able to reward Foles with a small pay raise of 2 million guaranteed more this season, with incentives up to 23 million of course (basically he would have to pull off starting most all season and making the playoffs..which he is capable of doing). We show respect to the new Philly Legend that is Nicky Nine Inch. We also have even more insurance in case of a freak injury to Carson (just knocked on so much wood my knuckles are bloody) since we can keep him another year.

So we do all that and most people would think "Ok...but now how do they get anything good for him???!!". Well, his value just doubled IMO. Howie baby. Thats how we did that.  Instead of a team trading for a QB on a one year ....teams now would be getting him on basically the same contract for 2018 as before since the extra 2 million was a signing bonus we gave him, and instead of trying to sign him to an extension based off what would likely be a smallish sample size or having to tag him, they have an option to resign him for the 2019 season for just 20 million, which considering is what Sam Bradford just got paid, could be a steal. And then theyd get a year and full offseason with Foles to see if he can be their guy. Theres so many different aspects of this deal that make it such a brilliant one all around its crazy. 

I read that a bunch of NFL execs/money guys are basically S'ing Howie's D bc of this. I have heard words like "genius" , "creative as hell", etc used by NFL people.

Honestly, if im Buffalo, Id be calling Howie RIGHT NOW and offering the 22nd pick of the draft for Foles. My guess is that if that happened, Howie would know hes got all the leverage and he could get the 12th pick IMO.

17 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

Yeah. 

I dont think this new deal is in any way some sort of "sign" that the team is concerned about Wentz. Its not. 

Its about two things. And the fact that Howie is smart enough to just come up with this deal like he did is kind of remarkable. 

But we basically were able to reward Foles with a small pay raise of 2 million guaranteed more this season, with incentives up to 23 million of course (basically he would have to pull off starting most all season and making the playoffs..which he is capable of doing). We show respect to the new Philly Legend that is Nicky Nine Inch. We also have even more insurance in case of a freak injury to Carson (just knocked on so much wood my knuckles are bloody) since we can keep him another year.

So we do all that and most people would think "Ok...but now how do they get anything good for him???!!". Well, his value just doubled IMO. Howie baby. Thats how we did that.  Instead of a team trading for a QB on a one year ....teams now would be getting him on basically the same contract for 2018 as before since the extra 2 million was a signing bonus we gave him, and instead of trying to sign him to an extension based off what would likely be a smallish sample size or having to tag him, they have an option to resign him for the 2019 season for just 20 million, which considering is what Sam Bradford just got paid, could be a steal. And then theyd get a year and full offseason with Foles to see if he can be their guy. Theres so many different aspects of this deal that make it such a brilliant one all around its crazy. 

I read that a bunch of NFL execs/money guys are basically S'ing Howie's D bc of this. I have heard words like "genius" , "creative as hell", etc used by NFL people.

Honestly, if im Buffalo, Id be calling Howie RIGHT NOW and offering the 22nd pick of the draft for Foles. My guess is that if that happened, Howie would know hes got all the leverage and he could get the 12th pick IMO.

Who do you take at 12?

3 hours ago, ninjapirate said:

Who do you take at 12?

In this scenario? Well. IMO no matter what I see 4 maybe even 5 QBs going top 10. I dont think Mayfield deserves to go that high. Or Allen (who is literally making me think im just a total lunatic because I have watched film after film of his to try and find things I like about him but, even though I see tons of people love the guy, I think hes the definition of a bust. Wouldnt touch him until the 3rd day tbh).

Anyhoo, my point being that having a top 12-15 pick in this draft is basically awesome for any team that doesnt need a QB. Guys who IMO are top 8 talents like Derwin James, Fitzpatrick, Roaquin Smith etc will fall. I think we should go BPA in that case.

Id take Derwin James if hes there. But if not, I want Smith. Or Edmunds (but he wont be available). 

Roaquin Smith would be awesome though. Dudes a stud. Gonna be the next great LB.

*obviously my CMJ scenario is we somehow trade that 12th pick to a team in the 20s who wants a player enough to trade up for him. Wed get like their pick in the mid 20s, plus their 2nd, and a 4th or something. Then we take an OT like O Neill or the ND kid or the other Edmunds brother. Forget the first name. Then we get Kalen Ballage and Dontae Pettis with our next two picks. And our offense is officially unstoppable.

On ‎4‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 6:39 PM, ninjapirate said:

Probably also makes the him more desirable to trade for with the option for 2019. 

No it doesn't. The option is mutual. You could trade for Foles and he could void the option and you're SOL. He's no more tradable than he was yesterday.

Note: I have resigned to the fact that Foles is, and will continue to be, our back-up despite my well documented concerns about the amount he is getting paid and the benefits we have with that additional cap space.

On ‎4‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:01 PM, BAConrad said:

We know that's not gonna happen right?

18 minutes ago, Hockey5djh said:

No it doesn't. The option is mutual. You could trade for Foles and he could void the option and you're SOL. He's no more tradable than he was yesterday.

Not really. Yes its a mutual option but for Foles to opt out of 2019, no matter where he is, the condition is that he has to pay back his signing bonus to us. And either way, say Foles is traded somewhere, then the team who has him could (if they were wanting to keep him) essentially just tell him that they would franchise tag him if he opts out. So hed lose $2 million for no reason. 

I mean yes its a bit complex, because as Ive read, NFL execs around the league have been remarking about how unique and innovative this contract is. Theres never been one like it before. 

It definitely is a more ideal situation for a team who might be looking to trade for Foles. The 2019 option no matter how you look at it is better for said team than if Foles were just on his last year of his deal like he was going to be. And lets also remember that his salary in 2019 of 23 mil really isn't bad all things considering esp if the team hes on thinks he is their QBOTF. Hed be making barely more than what Bradford will make in 2018.

Note: I have resigned to the fact that Foles is, and will continue to be, our back-up despite my well documented concerns about the amount he is getting paid and the benefits we have with that additional cap space.

Archived