Broncos Shopping SS TJ Ward - CUT Signs w TB

elliot878

IDK if you can say we don't have an identity - but I definitely don't know what it is yet. I think it's obvious that we need to be a team with a really good running game. Our improvements from a trash offense last year are presumably run blocking and health/depth at RB. Can't see us being successful spreading it out and throwing the ball 30-40 times a game. We only have two good receivers, zero good tight ends, and a question mark at quarterback and the tackles. I'm very interested to see how the offenses operates next Monday. 

9 hours ago, the lone star said:

Simmons strikes me more as a FS than a SS, but we'll see what happens.

I think the plan is going to be to use Stewart in the more-traditional SS role and Simmons in the FS. In running downs I think the plan is to use Carter as a hybrid LB/SS with Simmons (and the CBs) playing one-on-one coverage. 

59 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I think the plan is going to be to use Stewart in the more-traditional SS role and Simmons in the FS. In running downs I think the plan is to use Carter as a hybrid LB/SS with Simmons (and the CBs) playing one-on-one coverage. 

That's exactly what I am thinking too. I could Parks in a lot of DIME packages as well.

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

I agree.  

(See?  ?) 

P.S.  Hopefully our coaches' inexplicable attachment to Todd Davis and Zaire Anderson doesn't leave them in coverage instead of the hybrid idea.  

On 9/7/2017 at 0:09 PM, AnAngryAmerican said:

That's a good plan. I like it.

• 3 months later...

As a final post-script - Ward was only a part time player on a really bad Tampa secondary and his skill decline was pretty marked on the field.    Now this sad chapter to a pretty awful year for him.   Guys with his skill set the decline comes quickly.  

A lot of things went wrong this year - letting Ward go wasn’t one of them. If anything the hindsight answer would have been to part ways sooner so we could have used the $ sooner (although in the end we were better off using it for 2018). 

27 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

As a final post-script - Ward was only a part time player on a really bad Tampa secondary and his skill decline was pretty marked on the field.    Now this sad chapter to a pretty awful year for him.   Guys with his skill set the decline comes quickly.  

A lot of things went wrong this year - letting Ward go wasn’t one of them. If anything the hindsight answer would have been to part ways sooner so we could have used the $ sooner (although in the end we were better off using it for 2018). 

Excellent post. I can't stand people on MHR and Twitter who keep claiming that losing him is why we were bad defensively (we weren't) this year.

20 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Cutting him meant a lot of other players mailed it in. Ward, like Peyton Manning, added value in more ways than his own on the field production. 

Sorry gotta call BS  on that one.   No player worth keeping or even calling themselves a pro would mail it in because Ward was cut.   We were 3-1 the first month he was gone.   If people were upset at him leaving that's when it would have shown up.    The D started mailing it in when the O kept failing (PHI game onwards).

We had a lot of problems this year but Ward's absence was a blessing - we'd be 5M poorer and still a bad team with him. He couldn't even play full-time on a bad pass D.   Intangibles mean nothing if you can't actually play anymore.  

Archived