Broncos Shopping SS TJ Ward - CUT Signs w TB

elliot878

I know his pass coverage was becoming suspect but when used to blitz he was simply the assassin.  I agreed with the statement on another thread - to me this signals we gave up on the year.  I personally doubt we reach six wins.  Good luck to the assassin - I wish you well my friend!!!!!!!!!!  You will be missed!

Just now, anewdawn said:

I know his pass coverage was becoming suspect but when used to blitz he was simply the assassin.  I agreed with the statement on another thread - to me this signals we gave up on the year.  I personally doubt we reach six wins.  Good luck to the assassin - I wish you well my friend!!!!!!!!!!  You will be missed!

We didn't give up on the year. There are two second year players ready to go.

1 hour ago, iLikeDefense said:

It's definitely bittersweet. I'll miss the energy and intimidation but I'm excited to see Parks and Simmons make plays!

Ideally this would have been done in February to give Ward a chance to get paid.   That sucks I think everyone agrees.

But the best orgs turn over when younger and cheaper talent is ready.  I'm not sure we are ready to fill his run support / blitz timing and enforcement but I also know we'd be a lot worse off long term if Jamal Carter didn't make it through waivers to be a PS stash. The numbers game and presence of viable alternatives just caught up to Ward.  

His teammates did a great job advocating for him.  Von and Marshall were leaders that way.   But if it's a numbers crunch and the brass were convinced Carter can't be stashed this was the only call.  

For all the talk about losing the locker room if Simmons plays well now and Parks/Carter progress the same vet leaders will turn around and focus on the youth being served.   Part of human nature to resist change but once it's upon them as long as the reasoning makes sense time heals all wounds.  I bet we start seeing that even today. 

34 minutes ago, Counselor said:

We live in a world where Ty Sambrailo fetches a fifth and TJ Ward fetches nothing...

Crazy to me as well I guess even being a crappy young tackle gets you more than proven in the box safety, who was the leader of a Championship team. One of the best,defenses in our lifetime.

39 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

4.5m for a guy in decline isn't getting a pick.  OL or premium positions got a ransom but aging S isn't a scarce resource.  

Wish him well though we will always have SB50 with him.  

it's not getting a pick but it should. Denver was cutting Ward primarily because hes part of a numbers crunch, and we have yound adequate replacements. Still think he can be a cog in a good defense.

1 hour ago, Counselor said:

We didn't give up on the year. There are two second year players ready to go.

I hope it ends up being that simple but I doubt it will be. Ward was a huge leader on that defense, and the way they went about this is gonna really piss some people off in that locker room. Those second year guys may be an upgrade in terms of coverage and speed, but I doubt they will replace the chemistry and leadership. Fingers crossed I suppose. 

11 minutes ago, 1234567 said:

I hope it ends up being that simple but I doubt it will be. Ward was a huge leader on that defense, and the way they went about this is gonna really piss some people off in that locker room. Those second year guys may be an upgrade in terms of coverage and speed, but I doubt they will replace the chemistry and leadership. Fingers crossed I suppose. 

The D has so many leaders I really don't worry about this.  Von Wolfe Marshall Harris and co.    

The outcry yesterday is like the initial stages of grief - denial then anger.  Acceptance eventually comes. Wishing Ward well. And that's pretty much it.   You already can see it from the tweets today.  They tried hard to lobby for Elway to keep Ward.  Now that the page has turned you will see them pumping up Simmons and Parks.  They know it's part of the business of football.  

Well the writing has been on the walls this week that this move with TJ was coming. I think it is a mistake. Jamal Carter and Justin Simmons are nice young players but I still don't think it's wise to get rid of a guy who is a leader both in the locker room and on the field. I wish TJ all the best, I know he will land on his feet, let's just hope he lands in the NFC. 

23 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The players are NOT happy that TJ was cut. I'm on their side. Elway is doing his rookie HC a disservice but pissingoff the locker room 9 days before he coaches his first game, at home, in front of a national audience. I guess we will see what kind of "leader of men" Vance really is. 

Totally agree AA.....if this team doesn't get off to a good start lookout on the downside........hoping I'm wrong but I have a feeling the team wont start off that good.  

I think everyone needs to remember that TJ Ward was not exactly a star player last year. He looked abysmal in pass coverage, although still quite good in run support. That's my biggest concern with letting him go. I think it's better to do it a year early rather than a year late. The players might be mad, but sometimes GMs have to make unpopular moves for the benefit of the team. We'll see if that's the case, but if GMs listened to players every time, they'd be out of jobs quickly.

9 minutes ago, broncos67 said:

I think everyone needs to remember that TJ Ward was not exactly a star player last year. He looked abysmal in pass coverage, although still quite good in run support. That's my biggest concern with letting him go. I think it's better to do it a year early rather than a year late. The players might be mad, but sometimes GMs have to make unpopular moves for the benefit of the team. We'll see if that's the case, but if GMs listened to players every time, they'd be out of jobs quickly.

That's the rub.  Players hate change.  It's human nature.  They should absolutely advocate for their teammates no one expects any less.  But the GM has to set that aside if he thinks the team will do better with change.   I totally share your concern with run support but otherwise the move makes too much sense if you believe Jamal Carter is a future jewel that won't clear waivers.  Especially with both Simmons and Parks in the fold.   And Elway & co. seem to be firm in this belief. 

If you look at some of the tweets after the initial shock and well wishes you are already seeing support for Simmons and Parks to step up (CJ the first).   I suspect that sentiment will grow.  Part of change management and human nature.   

Archived