Top 5 Reasons You Can’t Blame the Giants for Trading Odell Beckham

footbull3196

On 4/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, Kip Smithers said:

I’ve seen all your reasons and none of them justify the move in the slightest. Like I said, until otherwise I’m done with this team. 

Despise this move and I will probably always will. 

Funny thing is that nearly all the football reasons people point to the justification of the trade can be applied to Saquon yet they’ll never trade him because he’s more if their personality fit.

I think you're getting a rookie QB (or Rosen), and I think management wanted no part of a situation where OBJ might be around a QB having growing pains. Take the best deal for him, and move on. The deal is actually decent. I think Peppers will end up being a good addition. 

32 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

I think you're getting a rookie QB (or Rosen), and I think management wanted no part of a situation where OBJ might be around a QB having growing pains. Take the best deal for him, and move on. The deal is actually decent. I think Peppers will end up being a good addition. 

If they can’t handle Odells passion and his his desire to win then this job ain’t for them. And if you’re parting ways with a talent like Odell it better me much better than a decent deal

Odell was a embarrassing watch every game that he played in (16 in 2 years) act like a freaking clown. Then doing interviews which he threw eli and the coaches under the bus and never takes account that he messes up every game.  Carolina game muffed punt account for touchdown and the game.  Dropped balls kicking crap running to the locker room.  That's clown like attitude not passion.   Hes gone and it's good for the giants and the browns. They will win with or without him.  

15 minutes ago, Cuziam71 said:

Odell was a embarrassing watch every game that he played in (16 in 2 years) act like a freaking clown. Then doing interviews which he threw eli and the coaches under the bus and never takes account that he messes up every game.  Carolina game muffed punt account for touchdown and the game.  Dropped balls kicking crap running to the locker room.  That's clown like attitude not passion.   Hes gone and it's good for the giants and the browns. They will win with or without him.  

Dude if Odell was an embarrassing watch every game, again, what was Eli Manning?

I'd throw Eli under the bus too. He's freaking abysmal and I can't believe you support him still.

47 minutes ago, Kip Smithers said:

If they can’t handle Odells passion and his his desire to win then this job ain’t for them. And if you’re parting ways with a talent like Odell it better me much better than a decent deal

By you saying "they", you're referencing the organization, as a whole. Now...I can't sit here at my keyboard and declare wholeheartedly the Giants made the best decision with OBJ. But I can see it, if they're bringing in a rookie QB. If they don't, then I don't know what the **** they were thinking...

6 hours ago, BleedTheClock said:

Dude if Odell was an embarrassing watch every game, again, what was Eli Manning?

I'd throw Eli under the bus too. He's freaking abysmal and I can't believe you support him still.

Out of curiosity I just took a peek at Eli's stats last year and I really don't understand how you can say he was "abysmal" in 2018?  His completion percentage was 66%, he threw for 4300 yards, his YPA was 7.5 (so much for the idea that all he did was throw 2 yard passes to Saquon), he had 21 TDs, and only 11 picks.  Oh, and his rating was 92.4.  

I mean, are those GREAT numbers coming out of Eli Manning?  Of course not.  But they are certainly respectable numbers that don't in any way equate to him being "abysmal".  That said, obviously Eli is at the end of his career and the Giants have to move on from him very soon, but let's not be too hyperbolic about how horrendous he is playing either.  He played well enough to win some games (and incidentally played better once OBJ was out).

5 hours ago, megatechpc said:

Out of curiosity I just took a peek at Eli's stats last year and I really don't understand how you can say he was "abysmal" in 2018?  His completion percentage was 66%, he threw for 4300 yards, his YPA was 7.5 (so much for the idea that all he did was throw 2 yard passes to Saquon), he had 21 TDs, and only 11 picks.  Oh, and his rating was 92.4.  

I mean, are those GREAT numbers coming out of Eli Manning?  Of course not.  But they are certainly respectable numbers that don't in any way equate to him being "abysmal".  That said, obviously Eli is at the end of his career and the Giants have to move on from him very soon, but let's not be too hyperbolic about how horrendous he is playing either.  He played well enough to win some games (and incidentally played better once OBJ was out).

Peeking at Eli's stats does not tell the story. If you watch the tape you'll see a wildly erratic QB that, for some reason at his age, struggles to make good decisions. And he had 2 elite and 2 more GREAT playmakers on that offense in OBJ, Saquon, Shepard, and Engram.

To put all of the struggles on the OL is simply not fair. Teams would salivate at the chance to work with that kind of talent; Eli pissed it away.

The o-line is everything. If the qb is getting hit right away the how is he gonna do anything.   I'm a giants fan and been to 8 games the last 2 years.  He has 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.  It was embarrassing.  It got better at the end of the year.  Stats do matter, eli missed on a deep ball a couple times last year but during that play he almost got destroyed.   Hate Eli all everyone wants he won without Odell.  Eli showed up to the playoffs Odell didnt along with the other receivers. I believe there were 6 drops 2 ts drops too.  Oh wait elis fault again.  People dont see the whole picture. They see a reciever caughting the ball with 1 hand and act like hes great.  He drops alot of balls and in special teams he muffed a punt that caused the giants the game.  People forget that too.  4300 yards 9th in the league 21tds and 11 picks.   What are the numbers we are missing.   

4 minutes ago, Cuziam71 said:

The o-line is everything. If the qb is getting hit right away the how is he gonna do anything.   I'm a giants fan and been to 8 games the last 2 years.  He has 2 seconds to get rid of the ball.  It was embarrassing.  It got better at the end of the year.  Stats do matter, eli missed on a deep ball a couple times last year but during that play he almost got destroyed.   Hate Eli all everyone wants he won without Odell.  Eli showed up to the playoffs Odell didnt along with the other receivers. I believe there were 6 drops 2 ts drops too.  Oh wait elis fault again.  People dont see the whole picture. They see a reciever caughting the ball with 1 hand and act like hes great.  He drops alot of balls and in special teams he muffed a punt that caused the giants the game.  People forget that too.  4300 yards 9th in the league 21tds and 11 picks.   What are the numbers we are missing.   

How come the o line wasn’t a problem for Saquon then?  He still produced a historically great rookie season despite playing behind the same offensive line that you love to throw under the bus when it comes to unnecessarily defending Eli

For the record, I AGREE with you that Odell was obviously more to blame for the playoff loss to the Packers and acknowledged that in my OP.  But it’s been 2 years since then and almost everything Eli has shown me since then has been garbage

Watch how many cutbacks Barkley had to make and run blocking is easier then pass blocking.  Just watch some of the games and really watch it. You can have Vick back there and he was still getting sacked. Those are the facts.  Is Eli at the end yes is he the worst qb in the league no do they need to move on or atleast get a younger qb to learn yes. 

12 hours ago, Cuziam71 said:

Watch how many cutbacks Barkley had to make and run blocking is easier then pass blocking.  Just watch some of the games and really watch it. You can have Vick back there and he was still getting sacked. Those are the facts.  Is Eli at the end yes is he the worst qb in the league no do they need to move on or atleast get a younger qb to learn yes. 

Eli's best years are behind him and he wasn't great in his best years so if you hang on to him it looks like you are tanking, which may or may not be true. Eli isn't the worst but he peaked as a fringe top 10 QB and hasn't been near that for years.

Odds are OBJ's best years are ahead of him. The past doesn't really matter. Only the future.

On 11/04/2019 at 11:53 PM, Cuziam71 said:

Acting like a clown or being passionate, being energetic or being the personality that players fed off. Get outta here man. He threw Eli and the offensive approach under the bus and what? Put him in jail. Was it smart? Absolutely not. But I’m not gonna condemn him and that certainly doesn’t justify trading him in the slightest. Carolina game he catches a key touchdown and throws a touchdown in the same game. I hate calling people delusional but man you’re making hard not to.

How about the numerous and numerous of times Eli missed touchdowns to Odell when the protection was fine, or missed deep shots to him. Yet you wanna point to the few times that Odell messed up.

eli was decent at best in the second half of the year but he was still missing a lot easy throws. I give Shurmur more credit than I do Eli. 

The Eli Manning problem is the thing that happens in every sport when you're dealing with a legacy player for your franchise that just doesn't want to retire. You need to get rid of him so you can free to make better decisions as an organization, but because he's a legacy player you keep them far longer than you should because of everything they've done. If Ryan Fitzpatrick was putting up these same performances not a singular human soul would be defending him nor this trade. Ideally your legacy player goes out like Jeter where they announce their final season immediately after they know they can't hang at a great level anymore so you're not put in an awkward position.

43 minutes ago, Malik said:

The Eli Manning problem is the thing that happens in every sport when you're dealing with a legacy player for your franchise that just doesn't want to retire. You need to get rid of him so you can free to make better decisions as an organization, but because he's a legacy player you keep them far longer than you should because of everything they've done. If Ryan Fitzpatrick was putting up these same performances not a singular human soul would be defending him nor this trade. Ideally your legacy player goes out like Jeter where they announce their final season immediately after they know they can't hang at a great level anymore so you're not put in an awkward position.

Jerry Reese and company really screwed this up. With the complete lack of talent on the team thanks to years of terrible drafting, there is an, at least believable, excuse for why Eli looks terrible. If the team was good around him and you could definitively point to him as to why we stink, he'd be long gone. 

Archived