TCMD - Keeper League Discussion

ny92mike

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

That would be fine.  Allowing teams to keep good players, good contracts in various forms. 

Would you limit how many FA bids teams would have based on how many players they retain?  

Or just use the cap space they have allow teams to bid as they deem necessary based on cap space?

I don't think we'd need to limit bids at this time, the idea of it could change as we progress through this.

Just thinking this through on the quick, I'll be around tonight to discuss more if anyone is interested, but if a team is keeping some high priced players they'll be limited on cap in the fa, but I don't think they should be afforded more bids because they decided to keep fewer players but at a higher price.

1 hour ago, ny92mike said:

I don't think we'd need to limit bids at this time, the idea of it could change as we progress through this.

Just thinking this through on the quick, I'll be around tonight to discuss more if anyone is interested, but if a team is keeping some high priced players they'll be limited on cap in the fa, but I don't think they should be afforded more bids because they decided to keep fewer players but at a higher price.

I agree.  NFL teams would be coming in a vast array of situations, a few that stand out

LA Rams:  Solid veterans with a built to win now team.  Not many young cheap contracts, but have a lot of good players that would likely go for more in FA if not retained.

CLE:  lots on young cheap contracts, that would likely want to retain many of them.  

Just about every team has some players that most would want to get rid of to free up some space so they could pursue some other options.  

7 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I agree.  NFL teams would be coming in a vast array of situations, a few that stand out

LA Rams:  Solid veterans with a built to win now team.  Not many young cheap contracts, but have a lot of good players that would likely go for more in FA if not retained.

CLE:  lots on young cheap contracts, that would likely want to retain many of them.  

Just about every team has some players that most would want to get rid of to free up some space so they could pursue some other options.  

Right, there a several teams that have players some young some old that we would consider making way to much money.

Next question would be if we cut a player during this phase, are we allowed to bid on them during the fa, in an attempt to land them on a much cheaper deal?  In previous tcmd fa teams had to wait a few rounds before being allowed to bid on them.  Thoughts on using that or something else?

8 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

Right, there a several teams that have players some young some old that we would consider making way to much money.

Next question would be if we cut a player during this phase, are we allowed to bid on them during the fa, in an attempt to land them on a much cheaper deal?  In previous tcmd fa teams had to wait a few rounds before being allowed to bid on them.  Thoughts on using that or something else?

I feel that if a team is willing to make a cut of a player and take on the dead cap, they should not be restricted to trying to sign them in FA.  NFL teams have no such restrictions (excluding IR/injury settlement releases).  I am more in favor of keeping things consistent with how the NFL rules and process works vs trying to create some new process.

5 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I feel that if a team is willing to make a cut of a player and take on the dead cap, they should not be restricted to trying to sign them in FA.  NFL teams have no such restrictions (excluding IR/injury settlement releases).  I am more in favor of keeping things consistent with how the NFL rules and process works vs trying to create some new process.

We use that rule in tcmd because not all contracts carry dead money, and the way the system is structured by reducing the cap 10% after each round there were a few guys that released players that at the time carried a price tag of several million and picked them back up in the next round for vet min, taking advantage of most teams not even bidding on players in the later rounds.

After thinking about this process, teams are going to have a window to cut the players they don't won't penalty free so in this situation I'd be cool with allowing them to try to bid on them in the initial fa, because the required contract terms would still be sitting at 100% of the players required min bid amount.

3 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

We use that rule in tcmd because not all contracts carry dead money, and the way the system is structured by reducing the cap 10% after each round there were a few guys that released players that at the time carried a price tag of several million and picked them back up in the next round for vet min, taking advantage of most teams not even bidding on players in the later rounds.

After thinking about this process, teams are going to have a window to cut the players they don't won't penalty free so in this situation I'd be cool with allowing them to try to bid on them in the initial fa, because the required contract terms would still be sitting at 100% of the players required min bid amount.

Not sure what you are saying here.   Is this a process where teams will have the ability to cut players without cap hits?  An amnesty type clause/period?   Or are you referring to just the initial start up where teams are selecting what players they are retaining from the NFL roster and what ones they are exposing to the league wide FA auction?

4 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not sure what you are saying here.   Is this a process where teams will have the ability to cut players without cap hits?  An amnesty type clause/period?   Or are you referring to just the initial start up where teams are selecting what players they are retaining from the NFL roster and what ones they are exposing to the league wide FA auction?

Right, I'm looking at this initial start up fa process as two different events, the first one being for the players that we disregard w/o penalty.  The other one is collecting the actual free agents that you'd expect to see in a standard mock draft. 

• Like 1

Also, if anyone is interested in helping write this out, message me your email address and I can provide you editing rights.  

You can view the rough draft for the guidelines here.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_mqHNMuUKS8VvNTpWiJD_VPXheejJzr0jGBSwf47LnY/edit?usp=sharing

I'll try to post the latest here as well.  Formatting is always kinda crazy, so apologies early on that.

Note that none of this is set in stone, this is just a starting point.

Initial Start - Season One

Each owner of the 32 team league, will have the option to assign as many or few additional members to their front office as they like.  You can make war room threads within your own team forum if you like, the only thing we ask is that you provide us a link to the thread so that we can follow along.

BUILDING YOUR ROSTER

Using the spotrac website to collect the contract information, a workbook will be set up for each member to use to build their roster, using a checkbox formula to designate the players retain/drop status allowing you to quickly decide which players that you’ll retain and which ones that you’ll be letting go.  

Here is a sample of what that might look like.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VySE_cPO5rOmoUeg8SU-hza_DB_YbvkbxARIzwBtJ64/edit?usp=sharing

• By retaining the player you’re agreeing to the players current contract details both the length and the cap hit for each contractual year.

• Dropping a player during this phase you do not need to concern yourself about dead money.  

You can release as many players as you like with the following exceptions:

• Cannot release rookies drafted in the previous year, UDFA does not count.

• You can’t exceed more than a 75 man roster.

• Cannot exceed your salary cap, for the current year.

Once we complete this phase of the keeper, all dropped players will be collected into an initial free agency pool.  Where teams will have the option under the TCMD guidelines to blind bid on these players. We’ll use their current contract structures to determine the minimum bid amounts required to sign the player.  Highest bid is awarded the player.

Tie Breaker is determined by the priority number of the bid, if that doesn’t break the tie then new bids are submitted to the member in charge of this until the tie is broken.

After each bidding round the min amount required to offer is decreased by 10%.  

Owners can risk dropping a high priced player during the retain / drop phase and still bid on their player in the free agent pool.    

This free agent pool does not provide any resign discounts.

Teams can add as many players as they like during this phase so long as you don’t exceed the requirements for roster limits and cap space.

SUGGESTION:  Allowing teams an opportunity to trade players prior to the retain/ drop phase.  Could conduct it a couple different ways, the first being where cap penalties play a role during this time, where signing bonuses are accelerated and converted to dead money just like irl transactions or make it where the entire contract and length of that contract is carried over to the new team and the old team is not penalized.  Also, concerns about trading year one rookies.

SUGGESTION:  Extend the max roster limit to 90 during the off season.  Reducing down to a 75 man roster during the irl preseason.  This would definitely require some additional help from someone willing to update the workbooks.  

Edited by ny92mike

33 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

SUGGESTION:  Extend the max roster limit to 90 during the off season.  Reducing down to a 75 man roster during the irl preseason.  This would definitely require some additional help from someone willing to update the workbooks.  

Or at least be flexible to weekly or biweekly updates during the reg season. 

If this works out well, we can build on the inseason stuff, not looking to go balls deep with that this first year but I think we can definitely expand on it as we get a better idea of membership participation.  

If we could promote this over the next few months and actually get 32 members to join, I think it would be awesome if we could kick off the initial build of the rosters in late July / Aug time frame.  We'd have a long break between this first build and the start of the season but it would allow us something to focus on prior to the reg season, also would provide us some time to tinker with the standings sim to work the kinks out with that system.  

What do you guys think?

@Counselor

@EaglesPeteC

@bcb1213

@DTMW78

@squire12

@RTTRUTH

@mountainpd

@samsel23

Edited by ny92mike
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

If we could promote this over the next few months and actually get 32 members to join, I think it would be awesome if we could kick off the initial build of the rosters in late July / Aug time frame.  We'd have a long break between this first build and the start of the season but it would allow us something to focus on prior to the reg season, also would provide us some time to tinker with the standings sim to work the kinks out with that system.  

What do you guys think?

@Counselor

@EaglesPeteC

@bcb1213

@DTMW78

@squire12

@RTTRUTH

@mountainpd

@samsel23

I’m all for it. Like you said, great time of year to provide us junkies with something football related 

Just now, RTTRUTH said:

I’m all for it. Like you said, great time of year to provide us junkies with something football related 

That's what I'm saying.

If the guys are down, I think we need to come up with an introduction post, that provides a basic explanation of what we're looking to do.  Unfortunately, this is a horrible time to promote it as many of the guys that were flooding this sub forum in the past have bolted to their team forums are other places.  Might have to do some tagging of previous tcmd members.

6 minutes ago, ny92mike said:

That's what I'm saying.

If the guys are down, I think we need to come up with an introduction post, that provides a basic explanation of what we're looking to do.  Unfortunately, this is a horrible time to promote it as many of the guys that were flooding this sub forum in the past have bolted to their team forums are other places.  Might have to do some tagging of previous tcmd members.

How have we decided to do the initial roster? Stick with a current nfl team or do an auction or do a draft?