Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

1 minute ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I think Rodgers needs to get over his aversion to taking a checkdown.  Screw me, right?  I mean, ****.  It's not like Rodgers has gotten two broken collarbones by extending the play as long as he possibly can instead of throwing a Gdamn checkdown.  I'm an ahole for saying Rodgers can be better.  I hate Rodgers because I'm sick of the weakest point of his game, which can make him better, right? 

I don't disagree that he could be better by using his checkdowns.  You are probably right but if he used his checkdowns every time a play didn't develop he wouldn't be the Aaron Rodgers we all know.   He is great because he extends plays.  

Just now, eyecatcher said:

I don't disagree that he could be better by using his checkdowns.  You are probably right but if he used his checkdowns every time a play didn't develop he wouldn't be the Aaron Rodgers we all know.   He is great because he extends plays.  

He's also 34 with two broken collarbones.  Rodgers is only as good as he's on the field.  I don't want to pay a QB anything to sit on the sidelines, and I'm sick of holding my breath every time Rodgers gets hit. 

I couldn't stand Peyton Manning for years and years and years, I couldn't stand Brees for years and years and years.  I felt like they were overrated because they took so many damn checkdowns and that their numbers were inflated because of them.  Now I see they're just using their damn brains. 

Manning in 2006 Super Bowl - Addai had 10 catches. 
Brady against the Seahawks - Vereen had 11 catches.
Manning against the Panthers - Anderson had 4 catches.  Doesn't seem like much until you remember Manning had only 13 completions that entire game.

2016:

James White was third in the league for RB targets at 86. 

Ty Montgomery, a receiver in 2016 until week 6, had 56 targets on the year.  That's AFTER he had 12 targets and 13 targets in weeks 6 and 7 of that year.  That means that for the rest of the regular season, Rodgers targeted him 31 times in 10 games.  Remember how bad our offense was in 2016 for the first few weeks?  It's almost like Rodgers actually targeting a damn RB made teams realize they have to cover the running back. 

Remember 2015?  The year our offense REALLY sucked?  James Starks was our starter then.  He had 53 targets on the year.  In a year where James Jones on crutches was our best receiver.  That's after Starks had 8, 7 and 7 targets in weeks 9, 10 and 12.  Other than his three most highly-targeted games, Starks was targeted 31 times in 13 weeks.  That is an unacceptably low number of targets for a running back in today's NFL.  It is downright unacceptable in a year decrepit James Jones was our best receiver. 

This past year there was no RB on the play.  He took a split second longer than he should have to throw the ball to Bennett on his injury this year, but can't really fault him for that.  On the 2013 play, however, the play was that what do you call it where the RB (Lacy) blocks, then looks for the pass.  Rodgers took off running before even looking to Lacy.  I just watched a really bad fan video of it, but Lacy looked like he'd have been open for a TD.  Instead, Rodgers took off and frickin Shane McClellin or whatever broke Aaron's collarbone. 

Edited by HorizontoZenith

No he wouldn't.  He needs to find a balance though.  

Yes, he would.  Think of all the times his play extending leads to nothing or a sack.  Rodgers with 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3 is the scariest damn QB to ever play the game.  Rodgers on 2nd and 13, 3rd and 17 is not so terrifying.  People have selective memory.  They remember the incredible passes to Adams against the Bears (that got called back), they remember the Hail Marys, all the other plays, but they don't remember that the vast majority of his extended plays is a sack or an incomplete pass. 

Second and 5, third and 5 has been, is and always will be better than second and 13, second and 10, third and 14...

That's math even common core can't screw up. 

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Yes, he would.  Think of all the times his play extending leads to nothing or a sack.  Rodgers with 2nd and 5, 3rd and 3 is the scariest damn QB to ever play the game.  Rodgers on 2nd and 13, 3rd and 17 is not so terrifying.  People have selective memory.  They remember the incredible passes to Adams against the Bears (that got called back), they remember the Hail Marys, all the other plays, but they don't remember that the vast majority of his extended plays is a sack or an incomplete pass. 

Second and 5, third and 5 has been, is and always will be better than second and 13, second and 10, third and 14...

That's math even common core can't screw up. 

Think of all the times he's extended a play and scored a TD or made a big chunk play.  He would not be better if all he did was check down every time a play broke down.  I said he needs to find a balance.  Pick the right times to take the shots.  His ability to make things happen is what makes him great but finding a balance will definitely help him extend his career.  

• Like 1

What he needs to do...as said prior...is to find balance.  He needs to get back to basics...timing/rhythm offense and routes.  Then when the play/situation calls for it, extend a play.  The difference is that right...the GB offense lives and dies with that extension of the play.  I'd rather it relied on rhythm and timing, which includes check downs.  The scramble drill, or play extension needs to be a compliment to the offense, not THE offense as it has been for a while now.

Think of all the times he's extended a play and scored a TD or made a big chunk play.  He would not be better if all he did was check down every time a play broke down.  I said he needs to find a balance.  Pick the right times to take the shots.  His ability to make things happen is what makes him great but finding a balance will definitely help him extend his career.  

What even are you talking about? 

Who said check down every play?  If he checked down at an average rate compared to other NFL teams.  Nobody said check down every play.  He's not balanced.  He's far from balanced.  Every time a play isn't there the way he wants it to be, he breaks the play. 

"Find a balance," is a good way of saying you agree with me.  Check and see when our offense performs the best.  It's when Rodgers quits with the improvising and starts taking what's there.  Seriously, watch the Cowboys game of this year to see what I'm talking about.  We sucked early, got down by 14 points I think, and then Rodgers started throwing to Montgomery and taking what was there and look what happened... We won.  A rare comeback win for us. 

6 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

"Find a balance," is a good way of saying you agree with me.  Check and see when our offense performs the best.  It's when Rodgers quits with the improvising and starts taking what's there.  Seriously, watch the Cowboys game of this year to see what I'm talking about.  We sucked early, got down by 14 points I think, and then Rodgers started throwing to Montgomery and taking what was there and look what happened... We won.  A rare comeback win for us. 

I do agree with you that Rodgers should do that more.  No issue with that statement at all.

I've long hated how he simply refuses to dump the ball off and take what the defense gives him.

While he's made some remarkable throws while extending plays, the throw I like best was his 3rd down pass in the Super Bowl to Jennings int he fourth quarter.  Jennings was in the left slot and ran a sort of post route.  Pitt knew it was coming, Rodgers knew that Pitt knew.  Jennings ran the route, Rodgers delivered the ball on time and in a spot where only Jennings could catch it.  He caught it and it burned a lot of clock on Pittsburgh.  I miss the timing routes.

And I've love Monty to get a couple checkdowns a game.  3'rd and 6...check down to Monty 4 yards past the LIS and let him get the first down.  May be boring compared to the big play, but it keeps the sticks moving.  

Then...teams have to play for that and it could lead to more plays downfield.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

"Find a balance," is a good way of saying you agree with me.

Sure but I think this is a better example of me saying I agree with you.  

2 hours ago, eyecatcher said:

• Like 1