Aaron Rodgers Appreciation Thread 4.20

Shanedorf

36 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Do you think the Chiefs will be able to afford Hardman/Watkins/Kelsey/their offensive line/Hill when they pay Mahomes?  The Chiefs are in for just as rude an awakening as we were when we had to lose Jennings/Driver/Nelson’s prime as we had to invest less in offense due to Aaron’s contract.

Really not sure what to make of your suggestion that GB somehow lost out on the prime of Jennings/Driver/Nelson.  Jennings was a Packer until age 30, Jordy until age 33, and Driver never left.

2 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Really not sure what to make of your suggestion that GB somehow lost out on the prime of Jennings/Driver/Nelson.  Jennings was a Packer until age 30, Jordy until age 33, and Driver never left.

I’ve clarified this.  We lost their prime, not them in their prime, without the means to replace them.  Should actually have been Jordy/Cobb that I mentioned.  We have not had the means to replace them.  Part of that was whiffing on Graham, but part of it is Aaron’s contract, too.

49 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Do you think the Chiefs will be able to afford Hardman/Watkins/Kelsey/their offensive line/Hill when they pay Mahomes?  The Chiefs are in for just as rude an awakening as we were when we had to lose Jennings/Driver/Nelson’s prime as we had to invest less in offense due to Aaron’s contract.

If you mean it’s Madden logic by the logic that in Madden as well as in reality the more you pay your QB the less you can pay your other offensive players then you’re absolutely right.  

Oh man that rude awakening where they pretty much lock themselves into another 6-8  AFC West championships/playoff births? Sure they are trembling about it.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Oh man that rude awakening where they pretty much lock themselves into another 6-8  AFC West championships/playoff births? Sure they are trembling about it.

They’re not even going to win their division next year.  The Raiders, Broncos and Chargers all have better outlooks.  Chiefs have virtually zero draft capital compared to those three teams and they’re going to extend Mahomes before the 5th year option most likely.  That’s next year.  The Raiders have two first round picks and all the cap space in the world.  Broncos likely found their QB.  Chargers are probably always gonna be crap, yeah.

The Chiefs right now are so similar to us in 2011 it’s not even funny.  People were saying the same thing about us.  We missed the playoffs as often as we went to the Chanpionship game.

It’s gotten predictable at this point.

Steelers with Roethlisberger, Seahawks with Wilson.  Packers with Rodgers.  Slump before a rebuild and MAYBE the rebuild works.  You cannot sustain success in this league paying your QB.  The only reason we got back is we had the losing seasons in there to boost our draft capital.  And we nailed three huge free agent signings.  

Chiefs probably win the Super Bowl this year and then have to live with paying Mahomes while the rest of their division has twice the draft capital and cap space to catch up.  

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

They’re not even going to win their division next year.  The Raiders, Broncos and Chargers all have better outlooks.  Chiefs have virtually zero draft capital compared to those three teams and they’re going to extend Mahomes before the 5th year option most likely.  That’s next year.  The Raiders have two first round picks and all the cap space in the world.  Broncos likely found their QB.  Chargers are probably always gonna be crap, yeah.

The Chiefs right now are so similar to us in 2011 it’s not even funny.  People were saying the same thing about us.  We missed the playoffs as often as we went to the Chanpionship game.

It’s gotten predictable at this point.

Steelers with Roethlisberger, Seahawks with Wilson.  Packers with Rodgers.  Slump before a rebuild and MAYBE the rebuild works.  You cannot sustain success in this league paying your QB.  The only reason we got back is we had the losing seasons in there to boost our draft capital.  And we nailed three huge free agent signings.  

Chiefs probably win the Super Bowl this year and then have to live with paying Mahomes while the rest of their division has twice the draft capital and cap space to catch up.  

"The Chiefs are so similar to us in 2011 it's funny"

We went to the playoffs 6 straight years at that point. Including what should have been another SB trip and another NFCCG appearance.

Again, I'm sure they're dreading it.

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

"The Chiefs are so similar to us in 2011 it's funny"

We went to the playoffs 6 straight years at that point. Including what should have been another SB trip and another NFCCG appearance.

Again, I'm sure they're dreading it.

And yet we never quite had the draft capital to put us over the top.  Of course they aren’t worrying about it because they’re stuck in 2005.

It’s NFL purgatory.  QB getting paid too much, but good enough to get you into the playoffs, killing your draft status, but never having the cap space to get you a win in the Super Bowl.

We had Aaron “still elite of the elite” Rodgers from 2011 to the start of 2015 and we had zero Super Bowl trips to show for it.

Edited by Outpost31

30 minutes ago, Pugger said:

I know what you are saying but I still think all entertainers are overpaid, if you get my meaning.

If you watch the games on TV, you are contributing to the $$ that is available to pay these entertainers.  Where should the money go if not to the performers?

Just now, Outpost31 said:

And yet we never quite had the draft capital to put us over the top.  Of course they aren’t worrying about it because they’re stuck in 2005.

You don't get draft capital from your QB salary, you get it from being a bad team. So you're saying now, don't have a good team?

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

You don't get draft capital from your QB salary, you get it from being a bad team. So you're saying now, don't have a good team?

I said what I’m saying.  You just weren’t paying attention.  It’s called Purgatory, look it up.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I said what I’m saying.  You just weren’t paying attention.  It’s called Purgatory, look it up.

Going to the playoffs every year is purgatory? Lol. No signing a Stafford, Cutler, Dalton, Tannehill, Winston, Prescott, etc... long-term is purgatory.

Winning in the playoffs is about being healthy, getting hot and having some luck go your way. We had a team to win it all in 2014, we blew that. 2016s team had no business being in the playoffs, that was Rodgers. Getting in the show every year with an elite QB is a great start. Once the BB/Brady era is over and this outlier of an NFL period is over where one team always wins, teams like the Chiefs will stand a much better chance.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Outpost31 said:

I’ve clarified this.  We lost their prime, not them in their prime, without the means to replace them.  Should actually have been Jordy/Cobb that I mentioned.  We have not had the means to replace them.  Part of that was whiffing on Graham, but part of it is Aaron’s contract, too.

Referencing Jordy/Cobb makes more sense, but is still off the mark.  Cash was never the issue, Cobb's production after he signed his big contract was.  Between Jordy and Cobb, their was plenty of cash invested at WR while Adams was developing as Jordy's replacement.  Things began to go off the rails when Cobb started producing like a JAG at age 26 when he was expected to be in the middle of his prime.  Had things gone as expected, Cobb would now be entering the tail end of a productive career in GB with Adams in his prime.  There should be a young WR being developed to replace Cobb, but for some reason TT/Gute abandoned the strategy of drafting an early WR every 2 or 3 years, and have whiffed badly in repeated attempts to find a late round gem.  There has been cash available for a mid-tier FA's, but instead that cash was spent on players like Bennett and Graham.  It hasn't been a lack of cash that brought down the talent level at WR, it's been a combination of some bad decisions (Bennett/Graham) and some bad luck (Cobb)

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It’s NFL purgatory.  QB getting paid too much, but good enough to get you into the playoffs, killing your draft status, but never having the cap space to get you a win in the Super Bowl.

We had Aaron “still elite of the elite” Rodgers from 2011 to the start of 2015 and we had zero Super Bowl trips to show for it.

The main reason IMHO that we didn't go to the Super Bowl then was mediocre coaching, not an elite QB holding us back. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Rodgers was not among the top 10 cap hits at QB until 2014, and It seems fair to say there were plenty of factors having nothing to do with the salary cap that led to GB losing that fiasco of a 2014 NFCC vs SEA.