Packers Sign Ahmad Brooks - 1 yr $3.5 million

incognito_man

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

The best thing about this move is the flexibility it gives us again to move Clay around. Moving Clay into the middle in certain situations and still having 2 established OLBs on the field at the same time. 

Yeah .. like the the move a lot.  Brooks can backup Matthews and Perry, while also being able to play the elephant position that Peppers once manned.

Just now, skibrett15 said:

definitely a contract that makes you think that they intended to sign one more free agent this offseason, probably one at OLB.  That or keep one of Datone/Peppers.

I'm not sure that's necessarily the case.  My guess is they felt that what they saw from Fackrell, Elliott, etc. at the end of last year combined with an offseason of development would alleviate the need.  Obviously that growth never came and Ahmad Brooks release was part of the perfect storm.

7 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know who is running things in GB, but this is what you do when you have a weak spot .. you go out and fill it.  

Ted mows his own lawn. They wait 'til he's mowing, finish the deal, and then sneak the contract into a pile of Gatorade and training tape invoices. "Sign here, sir. And here. Aaand here."

Look, we have been the beneficiary of Ted's way of doing things. I believe him when he says he spends every day taking actions that will improve the football team. We have all lusted after FAs who failed badly with their new teams. Not every player is a fit. Ted is careful, but he isn't as dense as we make him out to be, and I guarantee he is not as dense as the old man they wheel out from the atrium to get a nice cold bottle of water at the podium and answer the questions from the reporters with eye-glazing banalities.

I really think he is adjusting his swing as Aaron enters his last 4-6 years.

2 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Ted mows his own lawn. They wait 'til he's mowing, finish the deal, and then sneak the contract into a pile of Gatorade and training tape invoices. "Sign here, sir. And here. Aaand here."

Look, we have been the beneficiary of Ted's way of doing things. I believe him when he says he spends every day taking actions that will improve the football team. We have all lusted after FAs who failed badly with their new teams. Not every player is a fit. Ted is careful, but he isn't as dense as we make him out to be, and I guarantee he is not as dense as the old man they wheel out from the atrium to get a nice cold bottle of water at the podium and answer the questions from the reporters with eye-glazing banalities.

agreed. and i will also add that this offseason was a bit of a perfect storm looking at who left and the contracts they received allowing TT to sign FAs and STILL get compensatory selections. Then looking at our own FAs for 2018 and the lack of numbers of who is critical to bring back (i.e. have $$$ to extend in-season). It all added up this season that resulted in adding all the vets:

Martellus Bennett

Lance Kendricks

Jahri Evans

Ricky Jean-Francois

Davon House

Ahmad Brooks

Will be a fun season, methinks.

18 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Correct, he was released by SF.

Even if he was not released, he wouldn't have been subject to the compensatory pick math since he was signed after May 9th.  That's why the Patriots used that rare tender on Blount earlier in the offseason; to keep him part of that formula even after May 9.

9 minutes ago, blueswedeshoes said:

Probably so, but this offseason has been far different from the past several offseason.  The Packers have been aggressive for once.  I need one more move ... we need a legit backup at LT.  Spriggs will get Rodgers injured if pressed into action.  In years past I would have said they would just roll with what they have .. this year it looks like they might act to solidify that position.

Anyone posting this list six months ago as our potential free agent haul would have been bullied by the popular kids AND the guys from the computer programming club.

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

... It all added up this season that resulted in adding all the vets:

Martellus Bennett

Lance Kendricks

Jahri Evans

Ricky Jean-Francois

Davon House

Ahmad Brooks

Archived