Packers Sign Ahmad Brooks - 1 yr $3.5 million

incognito_man

16 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like this argument is a bit disingenuous.  Of that list, how many of them negatively affect our compensatory pick calculation?  One.  Only Martellus Bennett.  And with the exception of Lance Kendricks, those players all signed 1 year deals which means they're quick fixes.  Nothing more.

C'mon man. Hindsight is 50/50.

Very few posters here believe that Ted doesn't sign free agents. We're all better educated than that.

And I don't argue that these signings have been smart, economical, low-risk, and well within Ted's business model.

I just think that a list with that many names--names that represent some quality NFL credentials--would have been seen as exceedingly overoptimistic a few months back. Anyway, I'm not looking to argue over such a silly point, and I concede that many of you here would not have been shocked to think that Ted could fill as many as six roster positions with FAs representing low-risk team-friendly contracts. Suffice it to say that I am pretty much astonished as I look at that list and I am very happy about our potential improvement.

I was reading the Ahmad Brooks thread from where I had left off, not knowing about the signing until I reached the end. That was the kind of experience that feeds a Packer Forum addiction.

45 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I feel like this argument is a bit disingenuous.  Of that list, how many of them negatively affect our compensatory pick calculation?  One.  Only Martellus Bennett.  And with the exception of Lance Kendricks, those players all signed 1 year deals which means they're quick fixes.  Nothing more.

How many veterans who DID NOT count against the compensatory pick calculation did TT sign between 2011-2016?

How many did he sign to 1 year, quick fix contracts?

I don't see how anyone can genuinely argue against the proposition that this offseason represents a material departure from the norm when it comes to filling the roster.

Heck, even Rap got into the act with his (misunderstood) tweet about his surprise over GB signing "another" free agent.

I feel like as a consequence of the last CB largely obliterating the NFL's middle class, you're going to see most of those guys sign one year deals, hoping that they can have a great year and vault themselves into the tier of FAs that get bigger deals in the forthcoming year.  The number of one year deals in the NFL these days for every team is greater than I can honestly recall.

27 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

How many veterans who DID NOT count against the compensatory pick calculation did TT sign between 2011-2016?

I don't see how anyone can genuinely argue against the proposition that this offseason represents a material departure from the norm when it comes to filling the roster.

Heck, even Rap got into the act with his (misunderstood) tweet about his surprise over GB signing "another" free agent.

It's pretty clear that the Packers are fixing pressing needs with veteran free agents .. they were not doing that the past several years.  There has been a definite change in philosophy in that GB front office.

46 minutes ago, TheOnlyThing said:

Because you have ALL the facts, you can't speak in absolutes.  It's amazing that you're so quick to condone TT for his lack of moves, yet refuse to acknowledge the fact that it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.  Quite frankly, I really wonder if you've ever done any negotiating.  It takes two to tango, and not only do the Packers have to make an offer, the player has to agree to the terms of the deal.

18 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

Does anybody other than the drooling mouth breathers at PFT think TT sits on his hands?

Norm how can you sit on your hands when your sitting on your mower! That has already been clearly established in this thread. At this point lets just be happy he had time for a few signings in between lawn work this summer!

4 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know who is running things in GB, but this is what you do when you have a weak spot .. you go out and fill it.  

Eh, it might be a little premature to call it a weak spot with a HEALTHY Clay this year.

Still a solid signing nonetheless. It also gives us the flexibility to kick Clay inside.

2 hours ago, TheOnlyThing said:

That was his point right? I think he was saying he's really not deviating from what he does?

Just kind of a bunch cheap cut guys on good short deals.

1 hour ago, PackyAttacky said:

Does anybody other than the drooling mouth breathers at PFT think TT sits on his hands?

Oh for sure. I've even seen normal guys go dark over time with him.

They obviously won't still say that.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Because you have ALL the facts, you can't speak in absolutes.  It's amazing that you're so quick to condone TT for his lack of moves, yet refuse to acknowledge the fact that it's not as cut and dry as you make it out to be.  Quite frankly, I really wonder if you've ever done any negotiating.  It takes two to tango, and not only do the Packers have to make an offer, the player has to agree to the terms of the deal.

Here are the UNDISPUTED FACTS, not my facts.

Between 2011-2016, no NFL team acquired fewer NFL veterans (via trade, unrestricted free agency, restricted fee agency, whatever) than the GB Packers and by a wide margin.

In 2017, GB has thus far signed 6 veteran free agents all of whom have extensive time in the NFL. They have not signed even 3 free agents in a single offseason since ...? 

Now, at one end of the spectrum, these 2017 free agent developments may mean that GB made a concerted effort to be more aggressive in adding veteran help this offseason. On the other end of the spectrum, it could be nothing more than the team taking the exact same approach and serendipity resulting in more signings than years past. 

However, it cannot genuinely be disputed that what has transpired this offseason is not a marked departure from the past six offseasons. 

I am genuinely curious as to whether all these signing signify a change in roster-building philosophy or just a one-year aberration, because I certainly do not have ALL the facts on that score.

As for personalizing the issue ("I really wonder if you've ever done any negotiating"), such a tactic serves mostly to detract from the discussion, which I suspect it was designed to do.

8 minutes ago, NormSizedMidget said:

That was his point right? I think he was saying he's really not deviating from what he does?

Just kind of a bunch cheap cut guys on good short deals.

GB did not sign very many "cut guys on good short deals" between 2011-2016 and has already signed five in 2017 so far. 

Perhaps it is all just a coincidence or maybe, just maybe it represents a change in philosophy.

Archived