• Johnathan Abram, S
    • Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, S
    • Gerald Willis, DT
    • Dawson Knox, TE
    • Isaiah Johnson, CB
    • Zach Allen, DE
    • Joejuan Williams, CB

1 hour ago, Revenant said:

I am equally torn between Rapp and Abram, but Thornhill is very close right behind them.  I just hope one of the three is left.  AT this point I am starting to think that of the top 5 or 6 safeties only Thompson will be left and I think he is probably my least favorite of the bunch.

Rapp and Abram are both natural fits to play strong safety. Their fit next to Woods is my main reason for preferring them.

But I’d love to Adderley, Thornhill, and CGJ too. I would bet they don’t like Savage, and I agree on Thompson. I’d prefer to grab Hooker at #90 if they board is wiped out at #58.

Prefer safety as well. My vote is Rapp if he's available, but honestly I'm good with Abrams or Thornhill as well.

If all three are sitting there when Dallas picks, my guess is they take Thornhill, who tested exceptionally well. I don't believe there is a big discrepancy between the 3 though. 

7 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

I still believe - against all logic - that a prominent DL player will fall well past expectations and he will be our pick.

I think there’s plenty of logic to back up that belief. I would certainly hope they’re doing their homework on guys like Simmons and Lawrence

27 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

What's everyone's problem with Chauncey Gardner-Johnson?

I like Gardner-Johnson but didn't vote for him for two reasons.  One, I would prefer a SS to a FS.  Second, I don't think there is much of a chane Gardner-Johnson is available.  I think he and Nassir are the top two safeties and are probably gone well before the time we pick.  I think the only safeties with a chance are Abram (who I have seen all over the board in rankings), Thornhill, Rapp (who had a not great pro-day), and Thompson who was not even included on the above list.  

• Like 1

D Line Please. Selecting a DB in the top 3 rounds is a wasted pick in my opinion. A deep, rotating, effective D line that can get consistent pressure will make any secondary look great.

Ask yourself, just how long is a CB or S expected, or realistically, can cover a WR or TE? MAYBE 3 seconds. If the D line is in the QB's face, the accuracy is off, the pass may never get off, there may be a strip sack fumble, etc. 

Don't waste our only early pick (2nd round) on a lousy S or CB. Because no matter how good the kid may be, without a solid pass rush, he will not hold up. Haven't we learned this lesson YET??????

32 minutes ago, Rtnldave said:

D Line Please. Selecting a DB in the top 3 rounds is a wasted pick in my opinion. A deep, rotating, effective D line that can get consistent pressure will make any secondary look great.

Ask yourself, just how long is a CB or S expected, or realistically, can cover a WR or TE? MAYBE 3 seconds. If the D line is in the QB's face, the accuracy is off, the pass may never get off, there may be a strip sack fumble, etc. 

Don't waste our only early pick (2nd round) on a lousy S or CB. Because no matter how good the kid may be, without a solid pass rush, he will not hold up. Haven't we learned this lesson YET??????

One-on-one man coverage can't hold up for more a couple of seconds, agreed. You're not zero blitzing every play in the NFL, though. Flooding the right areas of the field with zone defenders buys you more time than that.

There's a reason the Pats have consistently eschewed premium cost DLs for DB talent, and KC and BAL followed suit this offseason. It may seem wonky, but it's not as difficult to neutralize a good pass rush as people make it out to be. The key to an effective rush is attacking QBs from set points based on their own specific mechanics/tendencies, so by the same token, you can block a pass rush if you know how/when/where they plan to attack you.

Also if a defensive line is supposed to rotate and a secondary is not, how much more valuable can 60% snap players really be than 100% snap ones? So much more valuable that the latter shouldn't be taken in the first 100 picks? I have a hard time reconciling that people can actually hold this opinion in 2019. Almost every team that has advanced further than ours in the playoffs in recent years outspent us at DB.

Edited by matt79511