Trading up in the draft

sonny44

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh if those guys are both gone two other dudes are available.

No need to get desperate.

for DB's there is. This CB class is terrible. We better get Deandre Baker, Greedy Williams, or Nasir Adderley because outside of that, things look pretty bleh. I like a few others (Layne, L. Johnson, Fields), but that's about it.

This is a great S class, but Taylor Rapp is someone I have a hunch will be elite. A John Lynch type of S that would fix a lot of our alley run deficiencies.

4 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

for DB's there is. This CB class is terrible. We better get Deandre Baker, Greedy Williams, or Nasir Adderley because outside of that, things look pretty bleh. I like a few others (Layne, L. Johnson, Fields), but that's about it.

This is a great S class, but Taylor Rapp is someone I have a hunch will be elite. A John Lynch type of S that would fix a lot of our alley run deficiencies.

I'm hoping we draft 2 safetys this year, a strong safety like rapport and then another fs. Make randall compete, if the fs looks good randall can walk, if not keep randall. 

Apparently wilks likes using 3 safeties at times, of that is the case then we will need another one at least. 

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Can’t get blood out of a stone, if the players aren’t there, they aren’t there.  We’re ok for 2019, it just becomes a bigger need next offseason.

Or Dorsey can use his apparent super scouting abilities and find someone day 3.

10 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

I don’t mind moving up, but I’m not sure I like the idea of what it might cost and what we have asset wise.

25 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

I'm hoping we draft 2 safetys this year, a strong safety like rapport and then another fs. Make randall compete, if the fs looks good randall can walk, if not keep randall. 

Apparently wilks likes using 3 safeties at times, of that is the case then we will need another one at least. 

I would definitely support bringing in someone so we don't pay Randle. Same with Schobert.

Just now, Don Roshi said:

I would definitely support bringing in someone so we don't pay Randle. Same with Schobert.

I lOve those guys, but not at top 3 money for their positions. If they take q reasonable contract then I'd love to have one of them return. 

Gotta keep the money at qb, cb, edge, oline, we, and dline. 

1 hour ago, BleedTheClock said:

To piggyback off of your Lynch comparison for Rapp in terms of playstyle. Do you think we will ever again see a Safety again that will be as feared as a tackler as Lynch, Reed, Polamalu, Taylor, Dawkins? Is Rapp that good of a tackler even with the new rules to possibly trade up for?

1 minute ago, AkronsWitness said:

To piggyback off of your Lynch comparison for Rapp in terms of playstyle. Do you think we will ever again see a Safety again that will be as feared as a tackler as Lynch, Reed, Polamalu, Taylor, Dawkins? Is Rapp that good of a tackler?

Or have new rules basically ensure we will never see anybody like that again.

I haven’t seen Rapp hit like Lynch did, but he seems to be a very sound tackler and once he gets his hands on the ballcarrier they go down.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I haven’t seen Rapp hit like Lynch did, but he seems to be a very sound tackler and once he gets his hands on the ballcarrier they go down.

That would be a welcomed sight. Would be interesting to see if they view a player on that high of regard to go trade up for

I think Dorsey likes his chances as picks with any defensive position.   He won't reach there.  I Honestly believe after the 1st/2nd round if he moves up it will be for an offensive need such as OT or potentially a RB. I still don't see us reaching for TE like most people here seen to think.

Yes I think you can find a decapitating safety in any draft.  That is an attitude not a performance issue.   Ronnie Lott was not the most althetic person.  He was just LT in a smaller frame. 

I would be happy if they spent the entire draft on solidifying our defense.  I think the offense could go out as is and be a top 10 offense.  

1 minute ago, Tomahawk said:

I think Dorsey likes his chances as picks with any defensive position.   He won't reach there.  I Honestly believe after the 1st/2nd round if he moves up it will be for an offensive need such as OT or potentially a RB. I still don't see us reaching for TE like most people here seen to think.

Yes I think you can find a decapitating safety in any draft.  That is an attitude not a performance issue.   Ronnie Lott was not the most althetic person.  He was just LT in a smaller frame. 

I would be happy if they spent the entire draft on solidifying our defense.  I think the offense could go out as is and be a top 10 offense.  

Agree with everything here except the offense being set. Tayne is not as confident in the o-line as others.

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

To piggyback off of your Lynch comparison for Rapp in terms of playstyle. Do you think we will ever again see a Safety again that will be as feared as a tackler as Lynch, Reed, Polamalu, Taylor, Dawkins? Is Rapp that good of a tackler even with the new rules to possibly trade up for?

He’s not a violent head-hunter tackler. He’s a simple wrap-up guy that seemingly never misses his assignment in coverage or in the run game. His angles are pristine and when the ball comes to him, it stops upon contact. He’s not a feared striker like those other guys, but you aren’t getting away from him. 

Will we ever see guys like Sean Taylor decapitating people again? Nope. 

Archived