2017 College Football/2018 Draft Prospect Thread

TitanSlim

13 hours ago, TJM217 said:

If the opportunity presented itself would you guys trade up in this draft for a guy like Laundry or Vea? 

I’d trade up for Landry. Not for Vea, but if Vea was there at 25 I’d have no problem taking him assuming Landry, Bryan, LVE, and Davenport are off the board.

We're just a few days away from the draft now... and I'm getting pretty damn hyped to see what we do.  Here's what I think we do:

1. Justin Reid, S, Stanford - (Official 30 Private Visit) -  I think the "worst case scenario" I mentioned a few week back happens.  Davenport and Landry are long gone (too early for JRob to even consider a trade up), and I'm starting to think the Titans don't see ILB as big a need as I see it.  I think they'll address it, but that will come later in the draft.  I think there are too many questions for any of the remaining Edge guys, so they go straight BPA here.  I think interior OL, DL, and secondary are all looked at here, but Reid stands out as an excellent fit and gives us an outstanding and versatile duo alongside Byard.  He was mainly used as a deep safety and slot CB.  Pro Football Weekly ranks him 36th in their prospects list, but their write up seems to like him a lot more than that ranking: "Nice versatility — lined up deep, up in the box, over the slot. Has covered backs, tight ends and receivers and been used as run-support defender. Asked to handle tough assignments, including quick slot receivers, and handled them admirably. Smart and coachable. Tough, driven and serious-minded. Knows his assignments, gets others lined up and is considered reliable...Ball skills appeared to improve last season. Turned in a solid performance in the positional workout at the combine. Great speed, good size and ideal traits for safety. Has great athletic bloodlines. Has plus size for the position and a frame that might support a few more pounds. Track speed and elite quickness. Explosive movement skills. Generally takes good paths to the ball and can cover a lot of ground to make a play." Runners up - Josh Jackson, CB/S; Rashaan Evans, ILB.  Darkhorse pick - James Daniel, C/OG

2. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC - (Pro Day meeting/workout) - A sleeper from the very beginning, his stock appears to have jumped up to the 1st at some point this offseason, but I think he's a 2nd round guy.  The production was just not quite there, with only 12.5 sacks in his career, but 9.5 of those came last year along with 13 PDs which is a great # for an pass rusher.  He has some tremendous upside, but is raw... he's only been playing football for about 6 years, and made the transition from S to OLB early on at USC.  Has the chance to develop as a 3-down LBer, but he gets on the field early on pass downs, as either a pass rusher or a guy who can drop in coverage.  He needs to develop playing strength and additional pass rush moves (and stop relying solely on athleticism), but he could end up being one of the more complete and productive OLBs in the draft.  NFL's Path to the Draft mentioned him as Mayock's 5th best LB prospect, and also mentioned (and quickly showed) Vrabel running his drills. Runners up - Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Sam Hubbard, OLB, Billy Price, C.  Darkhorse pick - Maurice Hurst, DE

3. Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State - (Private workout and Official 30 Private Visit) - Runs good routes, does a good job beating press off the LOS, has good vision in the open field, has good hands.  Not too many negatives when you look at his tape.  Music City Miracles does a pretty in depth film review of him.  His production doesn't match what Davis did prior to coming to the NFL, but it seems to follow the pattern set by Davis and Taywan Taylor... elite production in a non-power 5 conference (100 rec, 1400+ yds last season).  I think we may need to trade up to get him, early 3rd maybe.  Runners up -  Austin Corbett, C; Malik Jefferson, ILB; Josey Jewell, ILB.  Darkhorse pick - Shaquem Griffin, ILB

4. Dane Cruikshank, S (Hybrid), Arizona St. - We continue building up our safety depth, Cruikshank is a developmental pick that eventually takes over the Cyprien role (as early as 2019).  Most of his success at ASU came as the Spur/Devil safety in their D... which is a LB/S hybrid... in the box 4-6 type safety.  They tried him at outside CB and that was a disaster, but not his fault they chose to play him out of position.  Even so, he offers the versatility and athleticism that I think Vrabel is looking for.  Runners up - I'm not tracking any particular players at these positions at this point, but attention in the trenches makes a lot of sense here.

5. Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech - Slot extraordinaire, plus return skills, and could just be a weapon through and through that we've been missing for a long time here.  Runners up - Richie James, WR; more trench players

6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB, Alabama - If healthy, would be a day 2 pick.  He's the type of player that if you can change his fortunes, could be a huge steal at this point in the draft.

4 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

We're just a few days away from the draft now... and I'm getting pretty damn hyped to see what we do.  Here's what I think we do:

1. Justin Reid, S, Stanford - (Official 30 Private Visit) -  I think the "worst case scenario" I mentioned a few week back happens.  Davenport and Landry are long gone (too early for JRob to even consider a trade up), and I'm starting to think the Titans don't see ILB as big a need as I see it.  I think they'll address it, but that will come later in the draft.  I think there are too many questions for any of the remaining Edge guys, so they go straight BPA here.  I think interior OL, DL, and secondary are all looked at here, but Reid stands out as an excellent fit and gives us an outstanding and versatile duo alongside Byard.  He was mainly used as a deep safety and slot CB.  Pro Football Weekly ranks him 36th in their prospects list, but their write up seems to like him a lot more than that ranking: "Nice versatility — lined up deep, up in the box, over the slot. Has covered backs, tight ends and receivers and been used as run-support defender. Asked to handle tough assignments, including quick slot receivers, and handled them admirably. Smart and coachable. Tough, driven and serious-minded. Knows his assignments, gets others lined up and is considered reliable...Ball skills appeared to improve last season. Turned in a solid performance in the positional workout at the combine. Great speed, good size and ideal traits for safety. Has great athletic bloodlines. Has plus size for the position and a frame that might support a few more pounds. Track speed and elite quickness. Explosive movement skills. Generally takes good paths to the ball and can cover a lot of ground to make a play." Runners up - Josh Jackson, CB/S; Rashaan Evans, ILB.  Darkhorse pick - James Daniel, C/OG

2. Uchenna Nwosu, OLB, USC - (Pro Day meeting/workout) - A sleeper from the very beginning, his stock appears to have jumped up to the 1st at some point this offseason, but I think he's a 2nd round guy.  The production was just not quite there, with only 12.5 sacks in his career, but 9.5 of those came last year along with 13 PDs which is a great # for an pass rusher.  He has some tremendous upside, but is raw... he's only been playing football for about 6 years, and made the transition from S to OLB early on at USC.  Has the chance to develop as a 3-down LBer, but he gets on the field early on pass downs, as either a pass rusher or a guy who can drop in coverage.  He needs to develop playing strength and additional pass rush moves (and stop relying solely on athleticism), but he could end up being one of the more complete and productive OLBs in the draft.  NFL's Path to the Draft mentioned him as Mayock's 5th best LB prospect, and also mentioned (and quickly showed) Vrabel running his drills. Runners up - Lorenzo Carter, OLB, Sam Hubbard, OLB, Billy Price, C.  Darkhorse pick - Maurice Hurst, DE

3. Michael Gallup, WR, Colorado State - (Private workout and Official 30 Private Visit) - Runs good routes, does a good job beating press off the LOS, has good vision in the open field, has good hands.  Not too many negatives when you look at his tape.  Music City Miracles does a pretty in depth film review of him.  His production doesn't match what Davis did prior to coming to the NFL, but it seems to follow the pattern set by Davis and Taywan Taylor... elite production in a non-power 5 conference (100 rec, 1400+ yds last season).  I think we may need to trade up to get him, early 3rd maybe.  Runners up -  Austin Corbett, C; Malik Jefferson, ILB; Josey Jewell, ILB.  Darkhorse pick - Shaquem Griffin, ILB

4. Dane Cruikshank, S (Hybrid), Arizona St. - We continue building up our safety depth, Cruikshank is a developmental pick that eventually takes over the Cyprien role (as early as 2019).  Most of his success at ASU came as the Spur/Devil safety in their D... which is a LB/S hybrid... in the box 4-6 type safety.  They tried him at outside CB and that was a disaster, but not his fault they chose to play him out of position.  Even so, he offers the versatility and athleticism that I think Vrabel is looking for.  Runners up - I'm not tracking any particular players at these positions at this point, but attention in the trenches makes a lot of sense here.

5. Keke Coutee, WR, Texas Tech - Slot extraordinaire, plus return skills, and could just be a weapon through and through that we've been missing for a long time here.  Runners up - Richie James, WR; more trench players

6. Shaun Dion Hamilton, ILB, Alabama - If healthy, would be a day 2 pick.  He's the type of player that if you can change his fortunes, could be a huge steal at this point in the draft.

It’s good to see more people getting on board with Justin Reid in the first. I’d love this, because it’s similar to my mock. It’d be the most accurate mock I’ve ever done lol.

37 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

I think we're going to end up with Sam Hubbard which is just....meh.

I wouldn't mind him in the 2nd but I really hope they dont get him with 25 just because the like the person he is. I would be fine with Rashaan Evans in 1st and Hubbard in 2nd. Still I would prefer someone like Lorenzo Carter in 2nd.

33 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

What do you guys think of Marcus Davenport and Tremaine Edmunds? I get the sense they both may fall a little bit. I feel like they were a little bit overrated through the process.

Maybe Davenport falls... Hes a bit too raw. I'd be OK taking him at 25. 

But I think Edmund's is a top 10 guy. The more I see him, the more I like him, and the more I think its not a stretch if he goes off the board before Roquan. If he somehow fell to the 20 range, I'd be all aboard the trade up train to go get him.

I think when its all said and done, hes my favorite prospect in this years draft.

This is the least prepared I've been for a draft in over a decade. So I'm trying to cram at least one game of every prospect that seems like a reasonable fit over the next four days. First up was Leighton Vander Esch. Have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. For a guy with his size and athletic ability, he didn't deal with traffic well at all in the San Diego St. game. Let the blockers come up and initiate contact and rarely, rarely shed a block. Was never really tested in the passing game and mainly just dropped into zone. You can see the tools, but man, from a guy with his tackle numbers, I expected him to be more physically aggressive. To his credit, when he got his hands on the ball carrier, he made the plays, but just never felt like he was the aggressor. If anyone has another/better game to watch, link me to it. Trying to not just watch highlights.

Rashaan Evans next. Reminded why I always struggle with defensive players from Bama. So much talent across the board that there typically aren't a ton of blockers for him to work through in the run game. Obviously he's an experienced pass rusher, and is far better with his hands than Vander Esch. Didn't really stand out a ton though. Definitely disappeared for stretches. Playing with all that talent around him gives him opportunities for splash plays. Probably more impressed by him than Vander Esch, but neither really jumped out in the game and a half or so I've watched.

Intrigued by Harold Landry, even though he almost certainly won't fall to 25. Not a ton of diversity in his pass rush, but that can be taught, the first step and bend he has around the edge really can't. Needs to get a bit stronger though, otherwise teams are just going to run right at him in the NFL. Missed a few tackles too. Not blown away by him necessarily, but the potential to be a top-flight pass rusher is there, which obviously makes him interesting.

1 hour ago, titans0021 said:

This is the least prepared I've been for a draft in over a decade. So I'm trying to cram at least one game of every prospect that seems like a reasonable fit over the next four days. First up was Leighton Vander Esch. Have to say I was a bit underwhelmed. For a guy with his size and athletic ability, he didn't deal with traffic well at all in the San Diego St. game. Let the blockers come up and initiate contact and rarely, rarely shed a block. Was never really tested in the passing game and mainly just dropped into zone. You can see the tools, but man, from a guy with his tackle numbers, I expected him to be more physically aggressive. To his credit, when he got his hands on the ball carrier, he made the plays, but just never felt like he was the aggressor. If anyone has another/better game to watch, link me to it. Trying to not just watch highlights.

This is the biggest reason I started to sour on him. Loved his potential in coverage, and his sideline to sideline ability. He can chase down the ball carrier very well, but his complete inability to get off blocks and get completely washed out of plays with the slightest bit of contact got really frustrating for me the more that I watched him. If you want to love him watch the Las Vegas Bowl Vs Oregon, but all of his plays in that game came because he was virtually unblocked throughout. If a lineman gets his hands on him it's over.

Archived