2017 College Football/2018 Draft Prospect Thread

TitanSlim

8 hours ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Yeah... Was just estimating bases on ~1100 defensive snaps. 

I love pro football reference, but noticed their snap count figures are off. Last time I ended up using NFL.com or someone else... Not sure which site you're using. Seems strange were missing 600 snaps from the DL... I didn't think we played a 2-4 Nickel or 2-3 Dime that often... Especially accounting for snaps we being an extra (or two) DL, ie goal to go scenarios. Wonder if some of DL snaps officially went to our edge guys (Dodd, Morgan, Rak, Walden?)

If that is the case, I'm sure LeBeau was trying to maximize the rushers effectiveness, playing to strengths... But also probably trying to mask the lack of a pass rush from the DL. Not that the Hankins signing will help that issue... But it would still address a need with one of the better options available...

I double checked their snap counts with another site, but I can't remember the name of it. The other site had each DL playing 1 more snap so I don't think the actual snap counts are going to be far off.

From what I saw, 2-4 nickel was by far our most often used formation. Prior to the 2017 season I remember seeing a pro football focus graphic saying we were in the 2-4-5 like 60% of the time in 2016. If you take into account the amount that some teams use 3+ WRs (The Rams were the leader at 81% of the time in 2017) it makes since that we're not going be in a base formation and let one of our linebackers cover a slot WR.

I was going to guess about 240% DL snaps, but I knew 295% had to be way too high. That basically averages us out into a 7 man front or puts us in a 3-3-5 nickel, which is not something I don't thing we ever really did.

4 hours ago, TitanSS said:

I double checked their snap counts with another site, but I can't remember the name of it. The other site had each DL playing 1 more snap so I don't think the actual snap counts are going to be far off.

From what I saw, 2-4 nickel was by far our most often used formation. Prior to the 2017 season I remember seeing a pro football focus graphic saying we were in the 2-4-5 like 60% of the time in 2016. If you take into account the amount that some teams use 3+ WRs (The Rams were the leader at 81% of the time in 2017) it makes since that we're not going be in a base formation and let one of our linebackers cover a slot WR.

I was going to guess about 240% DL snaps, but I knew 295% had to be way too high. That basically averages us out into a 7 man front or puts us in a 3-3-5 nickel, which is not something I don't thing we ever really did.

Yeah, it makes sense... I think it was a work around that LeBeau probably threw in to generate a better pass rush.  I'd be curious... maybe you'd know... what % of those snaps saw either Morgan, Rak, both (or some other combination of Edge rushers) playing on the line as a more traditional end... From what I remember, Dodd was actually playing on the line the few snaps I noticed him... Walden too.  

The more I watch Marcus Davenport the more I've really grown to love him. He's obviously really raw, but he has the athletic traits to be very successful and as his football IQ improves and he's able to diagnose what offenses are doing quicker, I think he's going to be special. You can see it on his film and we saw it at the Senior Bowl. Once he started to get a feel for his assignments by the time the game came around on Saturday he played really well after struggling early in the week. I think our situation would be perfect for him. He could learn for a year under Orakpo/Morgan and by next year he should be really ready to take off as one of our main pass rushers. I could see JRob loving him too. He seems to like bigger OLB and the small school thing actually works in Davenport's favor when it comes to JRob. It'll be interesting to see where these pass rushers fall after Chubb. Landry and Davenport both seem to be all over the board.

46 minutes ago, SerenityNow said:

The more I watch Marcus Davenport the more I've really grown to love him. He's obviously really raw, but he has the athletic traits to be very successful and as his football IQ improves and he's able to diagnose what offenses are doing quicker, I think he's going to be special. You can see it on his film and we saw it at the Senior Bowl. Once he started to get a feel for his assignments by the time the game came around on Saturday he played really well after struggling early in the week. I think our situation would be perfect for him. He could learn for a year under Orakpo/Morgan and by next year he should be really ready to take off as one of our main pass rushers. I could see JRob loving him too. He seems to like bigger OLB and the small school thing actually works in Davenport's favor when it comes to JRob. It'll be interesting to see where these pass rushers fall after Chubb. Landry and Davenport both seem to be all over the board.

The thing is that Davenport & Laundry will not be there at #25. JRob would have to go and get one of them if he wanted them that badly. Giving up multiple draft picks for a small college guy. IDK... as you have pointed out he is raw. IMO JRob stays at #25 and picks the best front 7 defensive  player on his board.  

2 hours ago, lamont said:

The thing is that Davenport & Laundry will not be there at #25. JRob would have to go and get one of them if he wanted them that badly. Giving up multiple draft picks for a small college guy. IDK... as you have pointed out he is raw. IMO JRob stays at #25 and picks the best front 7 defensive  player on his board.  

Yeah I agree. I don’t see either guy being there at 25 especially Landry (if he is I’d probably be running up with the card), but I’m wondering if the small school thing and his rawness could drop Davenport. He’s a tough projection because of those factors. I don’t see him being a top 10 pick like I’ve seen in some mocks, but I bet he’ll more than likely go in the late teens. If JRob really likes a guy I could see him moving up around there to get him if he had to. Obviously not ideal and not what I’d want but if it could guarantee us a top front 7 prospect I’m sure I could get behind it. I’m just worried we might get stuck at 25 with none of the top front 7 guys available. At that point I’d probably be looking at getting Lorenzo Carter in the second.

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if we double up at edge rusher in the first 3 rounds.?

For example, maybe a Sam Hubbard in the first and a guy like Uchenna Nwosu or Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd/3rd.

Idk, I just have no faith in our depth at OLB this upcoming season and it looks even more dire next year when Orakpo and Morgan both are free agents.

13 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Am I the only one who wouldn't mind if we double up at edge rusher in the first 3 rounds.?

For example, maybe a Sam Hubbard in the first and a guy like Uchenna Nwosu or Lorenzo Carter in the 2nd/3rd.

Idk, I just have no faith in our depth at OLB this upcoming season and it looks even more dire next year when Orakpo and Morgan both are free agents.

Agreed. It’s a huge need as I have no faith in Dodd and guys like Wallace/Carraway to me are bottom of the roster guys. Wallace at least has SPT ability. Need some speed from that outside. It sucks we only have 6 picks because I’d love to trade up to secure Landry.

1 hour ago, TitanSlim said:

i agree with this with the caveat that i'd also be ok with taking an interior pass rusher to pair with casey with one of those picks. we just need more pass rush no matter where it's coming from (though we are stronger inside than on the edge)

7 minutes ago, RuskieTitan said:

I too like measurables and potential that doesn't translate to on field production.

Agreed and for as good of an athlete that he is, his burst is very unimpressive. I’d be highly disappointed if he was the pick at 25. Plus with previous knee issues. Not a fan of him at 25.

On 4/6/2018 at 12:40 PM, SerenityNow said:

Yes! He's my draft crush this year.  :x

8 hours ago, ttitansfan4life said:

Agreed and for as good of an athlete that he is, his burst is very unimpressive. I’d be highly disappointed if he was the pick at 25. Plus with previous knee issues. Not a fan of him at 25.

You have to take into account the role they asked him to be in at FSU. I've seen multiple people mention how it is similar to how Danielle Hunter was used at LSU.  In fact, his measureables are similar to Hunter. This is a twitter thread about his role...

For me, I'd rather take Sweat (assuming the knee is ok'd by our medical staff) instead of a guy like Hubbard. Having him learn behind Orakpo and Morgan and being coached up by Vrabel and Pees, I'd take my chances on a talent like Sweat.

Man, I came to really love Sweat as a prospect, I wouldn't mind one bit if he was our pick at #25. In fact, he's probably my favorite for it by now.

You can really see he has the length, frame and he's very athletic, which he flashes on tape multiple times, despite being played out of position for the most part and dealing with a recovering knee injury and a brace on it that he now feels comfortable taking off. Even if you think he's raw coming out, I would absolutely love to see what Vrabel can make out of him. Plus he won't be asked to be a full-time starter year one.

Archived