Best and Worst Offensive Lines

Hunter2_1

7 hours ago, brazilianguy said:
20 hours ago, Louis Friend said:

Detroits line hasn't played together yet, but they had a solid LT/LG/C trio last season with Decker/Glasgow/Swanson. They then went out and signed TJ Lang and Ricky Wagner for RG/RT respectively. When Decker was expected to miss time, they went and traded a late pick for OT Greg Robinson who has played well for the Lions this preseason and appears to be a good fit for our scheme. When Decker comes back (expected after the bye) Lions might be able to 7 deep with Robinson/Dahl as backups and a solid starting OL of Decker/Glasgow/Swanson/Lang/Wagner. 

This is a prime candidate for most improved OL.

When Decker gets back the OL for the Lions could be real nice. The big question at that point will be if Greg Robinson can slide inside to LG and maintain the same level of play. Based on the pass pro scheme the Lions use, he should actually be better if he were to move to guard. So, the Lions could potentially be looking at an OL of Taylor Decker, Greg Robinson, Travis Swanson, TJ Lang, and Rick Wagner. That's so much better than what the Lions have been dealing with in the past.

43 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Our o-lines problem is that they're very finesse. Outside of Coleman nobody is a mauler in the run game.

Wut?  Zeitler is a damn goon out there, and I'm not sure I'd call Bitonio finesse.  He's got a bit of an edge to him.

5 hours ago, Hunter2_1 said:
20 hours ago, Castiron said:

For my money, Munch is the best position coach in the league by a good margin.

Could be Scarnecchia. The difference he made to our OL was the difference between a Super Bowl and not a superbowl. 

Munchak is very good at getting guys to operate as a unit, sets his guys up to succeed just as long as the effort is there (see: Cody Wallace, Ramon Foster). Scarnecchia is very good at cross training his guys, getting his guys prepared for each and every game, and is probably the best at being able to hide a weak link on the line to keep the unit as a whole functioning properly. Bill Callahan should be considered among the best OL coaches as well. He is probably the best in the NFL at developing OL and really getting his guys to perfect their technique.

6 hours ago, RedRider said:

We released Alex Boone, so this is our starting line. Let this lineup sink in.

LT: Riley Reiff

LG: Nick Easton

C: Joe Berger

RG: Pat Elflein

RT: Mike Remmers 

I don't see how we don't have by far the worst offensive line. We hopefully go o-line throughout the first two days of the 2018 draft.

Reiff should be better than what you had at Left tackle last year. I cannot speak of the rest but I was shocked by the release of boone, I thought he played well, at least well enough to keep his job.

14 minutes ago, PackyAttacky said:

Reiff should be better than what you had at Left tackle last year. I cannot speak of the rest but I was shocked by the release of boone, I thought he played well, at least well enough to keep his job.

Boone did play well enough to keep his job imo.  But maybe not well enough to justify his pay, so they asked him to take a pay cut.  He said "nope" and they said "bye".

33 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Chargers O-line is bad, but probably not among the worst in the NFL. I'd put our line above ones like the Seahawks, Bengals, Vikings, Giants and Broncos. Probably a few others that are worse that I can't think of off the top of my head.

I think you'll be surprised.  It's more that we have a lot of unknowns right now, so people are counting it as bad players.  Slauson is a very solid OG, returning to his natural position.  Okung, when healthy is a top 15 OT (and performed that way last year).  The Right side is kind of the mystery.  Spencer Pulley has been getting rave reviews since early in minicamp last year, and every chance he has gotten, he's looked great, especially with his extended snaps at C in the Cleveland game last year.  He's the biggest unknown that I'd expect to break out this year.  I think Wiggins is going to be solid, but unspectacular.  He's really stepped up this year and earned the RG job, and has looked good doing it.  I don't think it was Feeney losing this battle, but Wiggins taking it home.  Barksdale should improve back to his normal self, which means a very good run blocker, and an average/just below pass blocker, maybe even a little better with the scheme change, which focuses more on short sets and making EDGE's run the arch to the QB.  This scheme depends heavily on the IOL setting a very firm pocket for the QB to step up in, and I think the personal fits that scheme very well.  Call me a homer, but I'm pretty optimistic about this group, even without Lamp there.

Denver's another group that I think is MUCH better than being talked about.  I think Bolles will still have some issues starting out, but with him, Leary, Pradis (who's really good) on the left side.  The Right side is a little iffy, but they're absolutely good enough to not be considered among the worst IMO.

12 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Our o-lines problem is that they're very finesse. Outside of Coleman nobody is a mauler in the run game.

We have a similar design. Only really Mason who can crunch people downfield. We place a premium on pas protection. I guess the same with CLE.

12 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

Munchak is very good at getting guys to operate as a unit, sets his guys up to succeed just as long as the effort is there (see: Cody Wallace, Ramon Foster). Scarnecchia is very good at cross training his guys, getting his guys prepared for each and every game, and is probably the best at being able to hide a weak link on the line to keep the unit as a whole functioning properly. Bill Callahan should be considered among the best OL coaches as well. He is probably the best in the NFL at developing OL and really getting his guys to perfect their technique.

has the making of a great thread :D

Archived