2019 NFL Draft Discussion Thread Part 2 - The Draft Begins!

y2lamanaki

4 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Our forum: "Take (insert player here)"

Different player is taken. 

Our forum: "These guys are too set on the guys they like. Should have traded back."

In fairness, that's long been a criticism of them though. I like Deebo, completely expected that pick....trade down could have been on the table, but I'd rreally have to know what deals were being offered to be honest. I probably wouldn't have moved back 15 spots or something. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly get the feeling the injury thing with Samuel is getting overblown. The guy broke his leg which really is something that can happen to anyone at any time.

He started 11 of 12 games played but chose not to participate in his team's bowl game in order to prepare for the draft. Samuel was off to a hot start the first three games of 2017, being a factor as a receiver (15-250-16.7, three TD), rusher (2-30-15.0) and returner (both kickoff returns went for touchdowns) before breaking his leg. The South Carolina native had shared the team's Most Valuable Player award after the 2016 season with quarterback Jake Bentley, leading the Gamecocks with 59 receptions for 783 yards (13.3 average) and one touchdown in 10 starts. Samuel also scored as a kick returner (16-431-26.9), though he missed three games with a hamstring injury.

(I feel like I need to separate this)

He had hamstring problems as a redshirt freshman, as well, though he managed to catch 12 passes for 161 yards (13.4 average) and a score in five games (three starts).

In my experience guys like this 

I also hate to quote wiki, but....as I've said multiple times; I don't have a problem with the guy on the field, but there enlies the problem. I hope I am wrong. 

College career[edit]

2015[edit]

Samuel played in five games total, making three starts and struggling with injuries. He suffered a hamstring injury in the season opener vs North Carolina.[7] He finished the season with 12 receptions for 161 yards.[8]

2016[edit]

In his sophomore season, Samuel played in 10 games and led the team with 59 receptions for 783 yards, he also rushed 15 times for 98 yards and 6 touchdowns. In the Birmingham Bowl against USF, he had 14 receptions for 190 receiving yards.[9]

2017[edit]

In the first game of the season against NC State, Samuel had 5 catches for 83 yards, for two touchdowns and also returned the opening kickoff back for a touchdown. In week 2 vs. Missouri, Samuel once again returned a kickoff for a touchdown, and finished with 5 catches for 45 yards, and also ran the ball 2 times for 30 yards and a touchdown. In week 3 against Kentucky, on the first play from scrimmage Samuel caught a 68-yard touchdown pass from Gamecock quarterback Jake Bentley. After suffering a season ending injury later in the game, Samuel would finish the season having not even played three full games, yet accumulated 250 yards receiving for 3 touchdowns, 2 carries for 30 yards and a touchdown, and 2 kickoff returns for 2 touchdowns for a combined 194 yards.[10]

Injury[edit]

In week 3 vs. Kentucky, with 2:27 left in the third quarter, Samuel caught a pass from Jake Bentley and was awkwardly tackled by no. 8 Derrick Baity Jr. of Kentucky, bending his leg back.[11] It was announced after the game by head coach Will Muschamp that Samuel had broken his right fibula and would miss the rest of the season.[12][13] Despite the injury, it was announced that Samuel could possibly return later on in the season, but he suffered a sprained foot in rehab and would not return.[14] Former Gamecock running back Marcus Lattimore (who suffered severe knee injuries in college) had encouraging words for Samuel following his injury, saying: "I know you are down and frustrated and you feel like your dreams are far away now. They aren’t. You can use this moment to show people how to overcome adversity, the whole state of South Carolina loves Deebo."[15][16][17]

2018[edit]

On November 5, 2017, Samuel announced that he would be returning for his senior season.[18] Samuel finished the 2018 season with 882 yards receiving and 11 touchdowns, his best game of the season came against Clemson where he caught 10 passes for 210 yards and 3 touchdowns. He chose not to play in the Gamecocks' bowl game, the 2018 Belk Bowl.[19] He was later selected to play in the 2019 Senior Bowl.[20]

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

In fairness, that's long been a criticism of them though. I like Deebo, completely expected that pick....trade down could have been on the table, but I'd rreally have to know what deals were being offered to be honest. I probably wouldn't have moved back 15 spots or something. 

I don't disagree. But usually it's via trading up. They're waiting in place and taking at their spot. I think that's an improvement. We're not trading up 20 picks for a guy that might have fallen. We stayed put and took a guy right around where he should have gone. 

I'm more making an observation that we love to shout out our favorite player, and if the player is taken, we don't care. I'm guilty of it, too. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, y2lamanaki said:

I don't disagree. But usually it's via trading up. They're waiting in place and taking at their spot. I think that's an improvement. We're not trading up 20 picks for a guy that might have fallen. We stayed put and took a guy right around where he should have gone. 

I'm more making an observation that we love to shout out our favorite player, and if the player is taken, we don't care. I'm guilty of it, too. 

Definitely agree that it's an improvement. Wow, what a change...i was actually advocating the trade up last night (though that 5th year option is a big deal). 

Don't hate the Deebo pick(obviously like the player). Just meh on it. Same way I felt last yr when we took Pettis in the 2nd rd. We took a 3rd rd guy in the 2nd rd. Both should be really solid to good wr(those guys work with Beast Kittle as the #1 receiver) Now hopefully they make plays and I will be front and center rooting for him. 

Edited by sherm
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I also hate to quote wiki, but....as I've said multiple times; I don't hahave a problem with the guy on the field, but there enlies the problem. I hope I am wrong. 

He had a problem with his hamstrings the first two years which is a problem no doubt. Then in 2017 he broke his leg. His last year he had no injuries so to speak of so yeah his hamstring is something you have to monitor.