2019 Day 1 Draft Thread (NO SPOILERS!)

jleisher

Just now, Leader said:

Okay.....I got the play evals....but we still have 2nd and 3rd round picks right? We gave up a couple 4ths....so I didnt make the connection.

I think he was just confused.  Packers got good value on the trade, since Seattle was actively looking to move back for day 3 picks.

2 minutes ago, Leader said:

Okay.....I got the player evals....but we still have 2nd and 3rd round picks right? We gave up a couple 4ths....so I didnt make the connection.

Yes. He's saying we could've taken those two and still continued to build using our 2nd and 3rd. Not that we traded them.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, there's no "best" safety in the class.  There's no Earl Thomas.  There's no Eric Berry.  There's no LaRon Landry.  You've got essentially 3 top safety prospects: Nasir Adderly, Chauncey Gardner-Johnson, and Darnell Savage.  It's pick your choice of safeties.  If you want to do a breakdown on Savage, I'd love to hear it.  But my guess is you saw he was a Day 3 prospect early in the draft process, and now he's suddenly the 21st overall pick.

Right ^

The Safety position is stacked. Why did we need to move up to get this guy? Will another go before 30?

Back in December (I think) I looked at the historically bad mishandling of the most valuable draft capital over the past decade or so (1st Round picks etc) I was 100% behind combining our assets and securing a top 5 pick to ensure we got the highest possible production out of our investment. My argument was extremely simple, the production out of our 1st round picks was laughable.

Afraid that history would repeat, I was extremely vocal about moving up to ensure we didnt screw up again with a top 12 and second 1st Rounder.

As I expected, my overreaction was met by some of the usuals and there was good/valid points on both sides; however, the overwhelming feeling was there is no way that we move up when so many holes needed to be addressed.

We arent out of Round 1 yet but I cannot understand why we traded up? Its arguably the most stacked position available at this point. I don't take issue with the player, I just can't see moving up 9 spots in the first when the probability of Abram (still convinced he was the top of the class), Thompson, Gardner-Johnson, Rapp, Adderley, Thornhill--- I think I could name 9 that Im ok with in a scenario where GB doesnt move from 30.

I know I didnt miss anything, but guys, what am I missing here?

Just now, Bang! said:

We wanted Savage and there was smoke that Oakland and another team wanted him. It's really that simple. We got our guy for a mediocre price. It's not the end of the world.

Just now, Bang! said:

Right ^

The Safety position is stacked. Why did we need to move up to get this guy? Will another go before 30?

Back in December (I think) I looked at the historically bad mishandling of the most valuable draft capital over the past decade or so (1st Round picks etc) I was 100% behind combining our assets and securing a top 5 pick to ensure we got the highest possible production out of our investment. My argument was extremely simple, the production out of our 1st round picks was laughable.

Afraid that history would repeat, I was extremely vocal about moving up to ensure we didnt screw up again with a top 12 and second 1st Rounder.

As I expected, my overreaction was met by some of the usuals and there was good/valid points on both sides; however, the overwhelming feeling was there is no way that we move up when so many holes needed to be addressed.

We arent out of Round 1 yet but I cannot understand why we traded up? Its arguably the most stacked position available at this point. I don't take issue with the player, I just can't see moving up 9 spots in the first when the probability of Abram (still convinced he was the top of the class), Thompson, Gardner-Johnson, Rapp, Adderley, Thornhill--- I think I could name 9 that Im ok with in a scenario where GB doesnt move from 30.

I certainly wouldn't say it's stacked.  I'd say it's solid at the top, solid depth but not overly deep.  But the difference is you essentially have 3 top tier safeties (CGJ, Savage, Adderly).  it's clear Savage is probably the most versatile of the 3, and he's got the "least" amount of risk.  CGJ was a Day 3 pick at best coming into this past season.  Suddenly, he has a great year and he's a potential Day 1 pick.  Adderly has the LoC issue, struggled at the Senior Bowl, and tested well.  Savage probably was the top ranked safety on most teams boards.  Savage wasn't making it to 30 IMO.  LIS, I'm VERY surprised Seattle didn't opt to take him at 21 for their own.

Archived