Chicago Drafts RB David Montgomery

Ty21

13 hours ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think Whyte takes Mizzels spot

He may well take Mizzell’s roster spot, but he won’t get Mizzell’s reps. Mizzell only got those because Howard couldn’t catch. Montgomery and Davis both can, and both they and Cohen will be well ahead of him on the depth chart. 

• Like 3

I watched some more of Montgomery last night and the game against Iowa was very interesting just for the sheer amount of times he lined up as a true receiver and ran routes...that will be very important experience in this offence.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

He may well take Mizzell’s roster spot, but he won’t get Mizzell’s reps. Mizzell only got those because Howard couldn’t catch. Montgomery and Davis both can, and both they and Cohen will be well ahead of him on the depth chart. 

Not denying that but Nagy will keep 4 RB’s. Whyte will absolutely make the 53.

• Like 1

Someone said Montgomery reminds them of Walter Payton.  Not ripping that person, but: 

I watched some of M's highlights.    Watched him jump over a defender who was on his knees from 2 yards out to score.  Watched him lower a shoulder into a defender and gain an extra couple yards.  That's great.  

Then I watched Walter Payton jump over entire line of scrimmage from 6 yards out to score.  I watched him throw a forearm and almost kill someone and keep going unscathed.

Apples and Oranges.

I love Bears and I hope this kid exceeds my wildest expectations, but I am not a cheerleader.  I will call a spade a spade. 

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Someone said Montgomery reminds them of Walter Payton.  Not ripping that person, but: 

I watched some of M's highlights.    Watched him jump over a defender who was on his knees from 2 yards out to score.  Watched him lower a shoulder into a defender and gain an extra couple yards.  That's great.  

Then I watched Walter Payton jump over entire line of scrimmage from 6 yards out to score.  I watched him throw a forearm and almost kill someone and keep going unscathed.

Apples and Oranges.

I love Bears and I hope this kid exceeds my wildest expectations, but I am not a cheerleader.  I will call a spade a spade. 

That was me and watching Monty vault over the OL to score was only one thing that reminded me of Payton.  I can't recall seeing another Bears RB do that since Walter retired.  Oh, and I'll betcha' a buck you never saw Payton vault into an endzone from 6 yards out.  To do that he'd have had to begun that leap from a yard or two behind the LOS so we're talking well over 20' on the fly.  He was incredible but he still couldn't fly.  :P

But there are other traits as well like his elusiveness and his toughness.  His ability to bounce off initial hits and a need to gang tackle him at times.  The moves aren't the same but in many cases the results are and again Monty is also back without great top end but he's been extremely productive as both a chain mover and a scorer.  So IMHO there are similarities as far as the type of back each was.  The same yet not identical.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, soulman said:

That was me and watching Monty vault over the OL to score was only one thing that reminded me of Payton.  I can't recall seeing another Bears RB do that since Walter retired.  Oh, and I'll betcha' a buck you never saw Payton vault into an endzone from 6 yards out.  To do that he'd have had to begun that leap from a yard or two behind the LOS so we're talking well over 20' on the fly.  He was incredible but he still couldn't fly.  :P

But there are other traits as well like his elusiveness and his toughness.  His ability to bounce off initial hits and a need to gang tackle him at times.  The moves aren't the same but in many cases the results are and again Monty is also back without great top end but he's been extremely productive as both a chain mover and a scorer.  So IMHO there are similarities as far as the type of back each was.  The same yet not identical.

It was 8 yards now.  

38 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

It was 8 yards now.  

Ha ha, yeah 8 divided by 2.  :P

In no way am I implying Montgomery is Walter's equal.  As a complete football player I'm not even sure that's possible for any current player.  But I do observe some similarities in their skills and toughness as RBs and those are what I pointed out.  Those are damn good things to have for any RB.

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Apples and Oranges.

Walter Payton types of backs are rare and usually don't last until the 3rd round of drafts.  If you look at where most of the best RBs in NFL history were drafted they were all 1st round and mostly top-10 picks.  Not saying Montgomery can't go on to have a really good career but whoever is making that Sweetness comp is smoking some good stuff.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Walter Payton types of backs are rare and usually don't last until the 3rd round of drafts.  If you look at where most of the best RBs in NFL history were drafted they were all 1st round and mostly top-10 picks.  Not saying Montgomery can't go on to have a really good career but whoever is making that Sweetness comp is smoking some good stuff.

Well first let me confirm that as a Coloradan I have access to some of the finest cannabis products anywhere and do avail myself of them from time to time.  But I'm more into edibles than toking. ;)

And.....I can guarantee you that in 1974 when Payton was drafted a back like David Montgomery would not have been a 3rd round pick.  He would have been taken in the 1st round and quite possibly in the top ten.  Remember the NFL was a run oriented league then and RBs were typically drafted much higher then WRs and so were run plugging DLs and LBs.  So we can't really compare the era of the '70s and even the early '80s with today. Things change.

And finally I'm simply comparing a running style, versatility, and toughness as a ball carrier not the men or their careers of which Monty's is still only based on potential.  I'm also not comparing the longevity of current RBs to those of 30-40 years ago.  To me there are some similarities in the two and if no one else sees it or believes it that's fine.  I don't require anyone else's validation of my personal opinions.  I wear long pants these days.  a_takethatfoo.gif

Edited by soulman
  • Like 2

His coach, "you should see him throw!"

Something to keep in mind when it may be time for a trick play.  

You can also add plays for RBs to throw off RPO scheme that will keep players from overly attacking downhill.  

43 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

You can also add plays for RBs to throw off RPO scheme that will keep players from overly attacking downhill.  

Hey.....Walter Payton could throw too!!!!!  icon_idea.gif

Hmmmm......wonder why that came up?  icon_rofl.gif

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Yeah he was a duel threat QB in high school...Montgomery and Cohen who has proven he can throw too makes things very interesting. 

• Like 2