Chicago Drafts RB David Montgomery

Ty21

3 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

What I really like is that he is an efficient receiver.

-9% target rate. 2nd highest in the draft.

-0 drops in college

-.83 yards per route run (Howard at .19 I believe)

Yeah this is clearly what the Bears were looking for from their rookie RB this year. The scout (can't remember his name) on the Bears YouTube channel who was interviewed about Montgomery, said that people at Iowa State actually thought he had the best hands on the team.

6 hours ago, RJ_11 said:

Yeah this is clearly what the Bears were looking for from their rookie RB this year. The scout (can't remember his name) on the Bears YouTube channel who was interviewed about Montgomery, said that people at Iowa State actually thought he had the best hands on the team.

Not just hands but his route-running is very good. He consistently got open at the top of his routes. IIRC his RB coach came from Toledo and said that DM is a better receiving back than Kareem Hunt.

Worth noting.... One of the big topics being thrown around pre-draft (mostly by me) was "Speed score" metrics....  (https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/speed-score-2019)

where Montgomery didn't have a great showing based upon his combine numbers (he scored a 96.6... which while not horrible, is low enough to be concerned).

I was not, however, aware of his pro day numbers, where he managed to shave that time to "low 4.5s" to "4.57" (depending on which articles you believe).... A 4.57 number improves his overall "speed score" to 101.79  which is a hell of a lot better already...  A "LOW" 4.5X time ends up with a speed score anything from 108.27 (@4.50) to 102.66 (@4.55)

Essentially he showed on his pro day that maybe the speed concerns from the combine might have been overblown in general.  I look forward to seeing how he can develop over the summer as well, since he strikes me as the type of kid who is more than willing to dedicate himself to trying to fix any perceived weaknesses...

That's good follow up knowledge but even then with a back like Montgomery I'm not all that focused on his 40 time.  He's more quick than fast.

No one ever worried about Walter Payton's speed and I'll say again that in some ways Montgomery reminds me of Walter in his toughness and refusal to go down easy and his ability to find daylight with his burst and some elusiveness.  But in no way does Montgomery look slow to me.

He and Davis are in there to "move the sticks".  Whyte is the slasher with home run potential and all he cost us was a 7th round pick.

Montgomery is just a very solid pick.

He can do everything that Howard could not, except the HR speed, and he will fit in the offense. If he could do everything he would be Saquan Barkley and this offense does not need a high 1st round RB because they are not going to be the focal point of the offense.

10 hours ago, soulman said:

That's good follow up knowledge but even then with a back like Montgomery I'm not all that focused on his 40 time.  He's more quick than fast.

No one ever worried about Walter Payton's speed and I'll say again that in some ways Montgomery reminds me of Walter in his toughness and refusal to go down easy and his ability to find daylight with his burst and some elusiveness.  But in no way does Montgomery look slow to me.

He and Davis are in there to "move the sticks".  Whyte is the slasher with home run potential and all he cost us was a 7th round pick.

I don't see where Whyte fits in this year.  I'm expecting him to be a game day inactive or practice squad player.  There's just too many mouths to feed when you consider Cohen, Davis and now Monty, plus Patterson is also expected to get a couple touches here and there from the RB slot.

I see Whyte as more of a contingency in the event that Tarik gets hurt or is out for an extended period of time.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

I don't see where Whyte fits in this year.  I'm expecting him to be a game day inactive or practice squad player.  There's just too many mouths to feed when you consider Cohen, Davis and now Monty, plus Patterson is also expected to get a couple touches here and there from the RB slot.

I see Whyte as more of a contingency in the event that Tarik gets hurt or is out for an extended period of time.

I think Whyte takes Mizzels spot

2 minutes ago, pigsooie5 said:

I think Whyte takes Mizzels spot

See the tricky thing is you have Patterson and now all these WRs such as Ridley and the two Hall's (Marvin + Emanuel).  It may come down to special teams value.  If Whyte shows to be valuable in camp/preseason as a returner then I could definitely see him earning a spot, but right now he faces an uphill battle since both Cohen and Patterson will likely be assigned the PR and KR duties.  IMO it's hard to give a guy a spot on the roster if he won't be getting much action at his native RB position or as a returner.  He's got to really stand out this camp season.

1 minute ago, topwop1 said:

See the tricky thing is you have Patterson and now all these WRs such as Ridley and the two Hall's (Marvin + Emanuel).  It may come down to special teams value.  If Whyte shows to be valuable in camp/preseason as a returner then I could definitely see him earning a spot, but right now he faces an uphill battle since both Cohen and Patterson will likely be assigned the PR and KR duties.  IMO it's hard to give a guy a spot on the roster if he won't be getting much action at his native RB position or as a returner.  He's got to really stand out this camp season.

I don’t think they envision Patterson in the Mizzell role. I think they omit a FB for a 4th TE, keep 7 WR’s, and 8 OL.

Trubisky....Daniel

Monty....Cohen....Davis....Whyte Jr

Robinson II....Ridley....Wims....E.Hall

Miller....Gabriel....Patterson

Burton....Shaheen....Braunecker....Raymond

Leno Jr....Sowell

Daniels

Whitehair

Long....Larsen

Massie....Coward

= 25

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

I see the fit.  He replaces Mizzell and kind of shares the "Joker" position with Cohen principally as his backup.

I think we can count on Nagy and Helfrich cooking up plays where he's on the field either as a principal participant or simply as a decoy because the defense will have to account for his speed.  If he gets some daylight he's gone plus as a ball carrier he's much bigger and more physical than Cohen.

Now, how often that gets him on game day actives or even the 53 man roster is gonna depend a whole lot on how he handles his assignments this summer and whether or not he can become a factor on coverage teams.  He's also a KOR but at least for now he won't be replacing Patterson at that spot.  If he plays I believe more often than not it will be as a RB/Receiver.  He runs a 4.37/40 so he can be another deep threat.

3 hours ago, topwop1 said:

I don't think any of us expected Marvin Hall to make the team when we signed him. A lot of times vets get signed prior to the draft because there's no way of knowing how the draft is going to go. Let's say we weren't able to grab Whyte in the 7th, and Hall from Mizzou doesn't sign with us. Then having a fast guy like Marvin Hall makes sense in having on the team. I don't think we should be thinking Whyte won't make the team because we have Marvin Hall (sidenote - one of the Hall's better get cut soon, because it's annoying having to specify the specific WR named Hall)

On 4/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, WindyCity said:

What I really like is that he is an efficient receiver.

-9% target rate. 2nd highest in the draft.

-0 drops in college

-.83 yards per route run (Howard at .19 I believe)

Don’t know how someone could have negative 9% target rate and negative 0 drops but it’s still impressive

Archived